• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight Harness Up grade Questions

Not sure which thread I posted it in, maybe my MJ build thread. But, I picked up some chinexican harness with ceramic connectors and standard relays.

I've been running a similar harness in my Comanche for the last three years, no issues.
uses standard relays, and has ceramic plugs for the headlights. Picked off ebay for $10.

Just go over all connections before installing, had one ring terminal pull off during the install, replaced with another ring terminal and been working great for 3yrs. May have just been my ham fisted install, was a little rushed at the time ... work said two weeks off and called me back 2 days later .... truck was down to the block by then.

I have the Putco harness in the XJ ... just replaced the supplied relays with Honda relays pulled from some random Civic at the JY as well.

BW 4136 relay. Rarely fail unless mounted upside down or if the grounds are poor. I've installed over 5 Putcos with no issues.
Putco%20relays_zpsd1e0cbex.jpg

Check out http://www.rallylights.com/ They are a quality harness and custom make them. If you call, they will tell you exactly which one is for 4 headlights.

The LMC truck one I have in my XJ is for a quad light setup. But, since I do not own a waggy, the extra plugs are not used.
It does use those funky 4-pin relays. But they are basically honda relays. SO yes, different from the bosch style, but plentiful.

You're screwed.....LOL. 2 harnesses?

I thought of that but I discovered that the male pins on the Wagoneer head lamps (2 pin) are very different from the Cherokee HLs (3 pin). So all of the connectors would need to be replaced, and the Wagoneer bulbs are 2 pin, with the low beams being very different from the high beams on the mail connectors. The High bean and low beam Wagoneer bulbs are not interchangeable. :bawl:

The LMC truck one I have in my XJ is for a quad light setup. But, since I do not own a waggy, the extra plugs are not used.
It does use those funky 4-pin relays. But they are basically honda relays. SO yes, different from the bosch style, but plentiful.

Is yours a Cherokee? What year?

If you search eBay for the harness they have both the two light and 4 light harnesses available. And in a type that uses a standard Bosch style relay for ease of use.
Hell I had a hard time finding 2 light harnesses last time I searched. Thought that was a funny thing.
Ratmanche has had an eBay harness for the last 3yrs now. My XJ has a Putco, but quality between the two was similar.

If you search eBay for the harness they have both the two light and 4 light harnesses available. And in a type that uses a standard Bosch style relay for ease of use.
Hell I had a hard time finding 2 light harnesses last time I searched. Thought that was a funny thing.
Ratmanche has had an eBay harness for the last 3yrs now. My XJ has a Putco, but quality between the two was similar.

New ones, with the relays for under the hood?

All I found was one used OEM harness with this search

https://www.google.com/search?q=eba...la:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

To be clear, I am looking for the aftermarket harness with relays that takes the bulk amperage load off the head light switch and uses the headlight switch to power just the small load from the relays. And for the Wagoneer 4 headlights which are not H-4 style!!! I am not sure what style they are. The H-4 is three pin connection for dual high/low bulbs. The Wagoneer has separate bulbs, one for high one low and they have different pin outs and are not swappable.

I have an 89 XJ. Pretty sure that the harness is for a GM truck though.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=99
PN 36-3581, 36-3580 is for single lights.

Thanks, might be useful info, but since you have an XJ it must have the XJ style light bulb (H-4-?) style bulb connectors. The Wagoneer has two different style pins (two different sockets), 2 pins, on the light bulbs, so I would still need to do a lot of rewiring to replace the bulb sockets (5 or more?) for starters. If I can not find one ready to go the GMC truck one you used might be the point for me start, so thanks!!

Looked again at the 4 headlight harnesses, all use the H4 style plug, nothing for the 4701/03 combo.
But, rather than a crap tonne of wiring ... Make an adapter harness, convert the 4701/03 to H4 making it plug and play.
The current lighting you have has the same basic wiring layout as any other headlight system - Hi beam, Lo beam, and ground. It's just that the quad light splits off the ground lead. Going back to the bulkhead connector it's all the same.
Use a set of 4701/03 style connectors, combine the grounds, and add a male H4 plug, HI to the right, Lo up top and ground to the left
0e6da4c3afa654b70e077d5ebbeff381.jpg

Then any relay harness can be used. Would need to make two adapters (one for each side) and be done with it. You could also simply use short lengths of wire with a male and female spade connector (the ground would be Y'd and the hi/Lo simple straight leads. Same result just a little less elegant and more chance of flipped connections.

Not saying to go that route, but just offering an option.

Or buy the harness with the 4 H4 plugs and splice the 4701/03 style plugs onto the appropriate leads for each headlight.

Last edited:
I may just do that. Thanks

Here is my current plan:

Just ordered 2 of these (will modify them)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-9003-Relay-Harness-Wiring-Controller-Ceramic-Plugs-For-Headlight-2-Bulbs-12V/401045402856?_trksid=p5713.c100044.m3207&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140502135644%26meid%3D3554649b53f543e8bd3d32197c1c314f%26pid%3D100044%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D11%26sd%3D330997592807

I just ordered two of them for my Wagoneer. I am planning (I think) to do this

http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forum...l-Silverstars-in-Sealed-Beam-for-98-Firebirds

Just ordered the super cheap H7 bulbs delivered from China for under $1 each off Ebay . Total cost under $30 if this works.

The 4701 and 4703 bulb is getting harder to find and very pricy >$17 ea). I just ordered 4 at about 1/2 price online before they are gone.

I will build the adapter-mods myself.

Back