• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head Liner-less???

erikrs301

NAXJA Forum User
My roof leaks and the headliner is starting to sag a little worse everytime it rains. I no longer have any carpetting and my XJ is only a trail rig. Questions...

- What's involved with pulling the headliner?
- What's under it?
- Can I save my stock overhead console?
- I would assume cab noise is going to be worse, correct?

My headliner has been out for about a year. Yes you get more wind noise. Also if you live in a hot climate, the sun heats up the roof really good and turns your rig into a giant convection oven. I live in Fresno, CA and when it gets hot here it's really hard for my a/c to keep up.

I removed the headliner and all the interior plastic trim for that matter. I love it. I also then coated everything in bed liner. Makes clean up much easier, soapy water, brush, and wet vac! Little noisier though, but form follows function...

winter is worse for no headliner.

you'll get frost/condensation on the bottom of the roof. it literally rains on you inside the Jeep.

kinda sucks dude ;)

Oh yea, I forgot about that one. That one gets real old real quick. I kept a towel on my seat to keep it dry when I wasn't in the Jeep and used the towel to wipe the area above my head before I drove it. I agree with CheapXJ... It sucks.

Bah, it aint that bad with no headliner.

Get a louder stereo to combat the noise, and keep your windows cracked to keep the heat down (although it still does start cooking), so park in the shade. Its better than a sagging headliner, but not better than a new one, but who wants to do that much work?

I've never had frost/condensation on mine. Wonder if it's the bedliner that keeps it from frosting over? Hasn't been a problem for me though. Did you guys coat the almost bare steel w/ anything?

Boz88xj said:
Bah, it aint that bad with no headliner.

Get a louder stereo to combat the noise, and keep your windows cracked to keep the heat down (although it still does start cooking), so park in the shade. Its better than a sagging headliner, but not better than a new one, but who wants to do that much work?

:rolleyes: i re-did my headliner for about $25 and 2 hours of work and its held up perfect for over 2 years and still going strong.

Brad

while we're kind of on the subject...I'm thinking about taking out parts of my interior like the carpet, some plastic, and other things. is there anything that I really shouldn't take off? eventually when my xj becomes a trail only rig ill have every peice out with just sheet metal in lace where thing need to be covered up with beliner sprayed on the sheet metal. if i do beliner the interior what is a good kind but not too expensive.

My liner was saggin all the way to the front, so I just cut it off. I dont care how bad it looks. Dunno about the different years, but mine has a piece of foam or something backing it. Technically there is still headliner there....

The headliner was missing from mine when i bought it...it did get hot!!!....I cut and fit some 1/2" thermax, glued it in place and painted it with texture trunk paint.

I didn't think of the condensation, I've had that happen in tents before. I guess I'll save it for a winter project, pull it down and re-coat it some how. 'till then I guess I'll concentrate on removeable doors :D

Back