• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hassled for no flares in socal?

They tried to stop me, but they couldnt catch me. ;)

I have had my flares off for a good year or so, I do have the fiberglass fenders up front, but no flares in the rear, I have never been messed with about it. To tell you the truth I've only been pulled over about 3 times since I've had the Jeep :rof:

well, from what i see here, i think i'll take the flares off, put on a front license plate, and try my best to look like a relatively normal suburban housewife-all should be well!
seriously though, i think i will put a front plate on(one less thing as a red flag) and go without flares and just see how that works out. i can always drill new holes and remount them if it's an issue.

well, from what i see here, i think i'll take the flares off, put on a front license plate, and try my best to look like a relatively normal suburban housewife-all should be well!
seriously though, i think i will put a front plate on(one less thing as a red flag) and go without flares and just see how that works out. i can always drill new holes and remount them if it's an issue.

sounds like a plan :rof:

I live in simi valley (a lot of cops) and ive never been pulled over for it. Even in my old wrangler where the tires use to stick out half a foot, at least.

Yeah, Simi cops have left me alone for that kind of stuff, I've always had more trouble with LAPD and CHP

I've gotten popped in the Jeep for no front plate.

well, from what i see here, i think i'll put on a front license plate, and try my best to look like a relatively normal suburban housewife-all should be well!

Awww, you quoted me-- sweet! I think you'll probably be fine flareless, as long as you don't drive like an a$$hat (in front of the cops, at least!). Just beware that at least the CHP seems to be out in force for the holidays. My boss & I passed both a police car and a m/c cop lurking off the side of I-805 in San Diego today. So they may be targeting that "relatively normal suburban housewife" demographic now (I think that's mainly who's out on the freeway at 10:30 a.m. on a weekday!).

CHP required that i put on some buttflaps. I got tagged in Visalia near fresno doing 60 in a 65 in the right lane. 33" MTR's Now i look like a damn rover. Carfull though when they pull you over, my jeep would not start after he wrote me the ticket. first person who can tell me what a code 54 is getts a cookie.
:p

54* No fuel sync (camshaft signal) detected during engine cranking ?????? did I win?

Wow Mike,
Guess when the 1 ton axles go in you'll have to pillage a trash truck for it's mud flaps.

Wow Mike,
Guess when the 1 ton axles go in you'll have to pillage a trash truck for it's mud flaps.
Maybe we can round up an old conveyor belt & cut some flaps out of it for Mike... Those dirty butt flaps he's currently sporting don't add much to the visual appreciation of his rear, er, Jeep rear end :sad1:. But hey, they keep the cops off his case, so it's all good! :sunshine:

I had a Riverside cop give the XJ a ticket for no front plate while it was parked on the street overnight. The funny thing is, the Xj has no front end to speek of. After my 1st wife's daughter t-boned a Lexus with it I just put it together enough to make it drivable. It just has the headlamps/signals, and grill insert,(the hood and fenders are there), no bumper. Just the front of the frame. I drilled 2 holes and mounted the plate to the frame and took it in to have the ticket signed off. The officer didn't say anything about the "no bumper" issue, signed the ticket and said "have a nice day".

Well i have been pulled over in my dodge for no flares, no front plate, no covers on my off road lights, my reg was up that month and tread depth because my old tires were almost bald. But as far as my jeep i have never been pulled over at all. I have no flares, plates, no covers on my off road lights, and my registration was up in march.(work has been really slow). But i got pulled over in pismo in my truck and i talked to a chp officer here in bakersfield about my truck and he was telling me that if it is only the first tread sticking out i should be fine unless the cop is in a really bad mood. He told me he wouldnt of pulled me over for it. so basically it is all up to the cop

The more ridiculous it is the better. I have not been stopped yet for flares. I have got a speeding ticket though and they never said anything about the beadlocks, front plate missing, no flares, and no light covers. Maybe he just did not want to write that much. My tires stick out about 8" and it tucks tire compaired to Santa's rig.

DSC03941.jpg

I have not had issue and i have no flares anymore. My front is cut out and my rear is cut and folded running 33 12.50 MTs. I seem to always drive by the police all the time with no problem. I am wanting to go without my doors soon so will see if they have issue with that :).

Back