• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone ever considered....

On the same engine ethanol will not make more power since the energy per volume of ethanol is 34% lower than gasoline. If you build a high compression around ethanol then yes. But it would have to be higher than 10:1.. 14:1 to 16:1 would be better. You can run much higher compression. But you still have lousy mileage.

Yeah you're right about the potentially poorer fuel mileage with ethanol, but it does have a much higher octane rating than gasoline so you can run a higher compression ratio (or higher boost on boosted applications) without spark knock.
While you get less BTU per volume of ethanol than you do from gasoline, ethanol burns with greater thermodynamic efficiency so less of its energy is converted to heat and the engine runs cooler.

What about a 3.8L GM V-6 with the supercharger? L67, I think it's called? Pulley up or down till you get the blend of power / economy you wanted, might improve around town fuel economy if you stayed out of boost. Then again mpg isn't much of a reason for an engine swap, most times.
If somebody somehow came up with a Pentastar V-6, I think that would make a helluva swap into a cherokee.

I've been looking at the Chrysler 200 with that new 3.6l V-6 (just haven't figured out how to pay for it and keep my XJ yet though:( )and I think you are dead on with that. The version of the 3.6 that's spec'd for the 200 and Avenger are supposed to be good for 283hp and 260ft/lbs of Torque (suppoesedly that's all their 6 speed auto's can take:rolleyes: ) and the cars' curb weights should around 3400lbs IIRC. From what I've been able to find, those 200's with that motor are supposedly good for high 14's for the sedans to low 15's for the convertibles in the quarter. If memory serves me right, that's on par with the 5.0 Mustangs and IROC/Z-28 Camaros of 20 years ago and think there were some proper muscle cars from 40+ years ago that couldn't do that off the lot!

Yeah you're right about the potentially poorer fuel mileage with ethanol, but it does have a much higher octane rating than gasoline so you can run a higher compression ratio (or higher boost on boosted applications) without spark knock.
While you get less BTU per volume of ethanol than you do from gasoline, ethanol burns with greater thermodynamic efficiency so less of its energy is converted to heat and the engine runs cooler.

A friend of mine has been building motors to run E-85, he's been finding the engines, lubricating oils, and fuel systems tend to stay cleaner on those motors as well as being able to get a good amount of power and engine life out of the boosted motors he's put together!

Are you serious?______^ Theres a reason why E85 cars have to have all stainless fuel systems...

Yeah, it's because ethanol can absorb water so stainless fuel lines are essential to prevent them from corroding.

I'll pass on the crank walk, thanks......also, pay up sucka, your letters are black!

I'll pass on the crank walk, thanks......also, pay up sucka, your letters are black!

CrankWalk.jpg

Has anyone considered building a 2.5 Jeep motor? Yeah, I know, it's a dog.

Think about it though,..
1) Swap is "bolt in", unless you already have one(then it's free).
2) Motors are CHEAP. Nobody wants them.
3) Solid 5-bearing bottom end/good recip. assy. from the factory.
4) Cuts 150-200lb of the nose of the wagon, most in front of the front axle.

Parts availability is a problem. We have basically the same piston/valve train selection as the 4.0, headers, and little else.

OK, its about 120hp to start with.(Late edition) at 9.1:1 cr. What if,..
Deck it to bring the cr up to about 10.5:1, higher if the combustion chamber shape will allow it without detonation.
Port the hell out of the head, open the intake to match, drop a late 4.0 or oversize TB, header and open exhaust, high flow injectors,..
Basically a "hot" 4.0 upgrade, except using only 4 cylinders.
I understand there are only 1 or 2 cams available for this motor, so a custom grind might be needed.(Finally an expensive part!)

Do you think it could get into the stock 4.0 range(177-196 HP)or possibly higher?
Imagine the effect on street handling: the equivalent of removing a winch and winch bumper from the front of a stock vehicle?

Here's a recipe that I put together for the 2.5 I4 a few years ago. The only way to get more compression out of the engine is to mill the head. The deck clearance was already near zero from the factory so you won't get much by milling the block.

2.5 I4 (Factory ratings 120hp/140lbft)

Cold air intake (CAI) with 5" Powerstack cone filter
4.0L TB bored to 60mm
Poweraid TB spacer bored to 60mm
Intake manifold heatshield
Flowmaster 50 series 2.25" muffler
High-flow cat
Clifford Performance header with 2.25" piping
Electric fan conversion
Relocate IAT sensor to CAI
21lb/hr 4.0L injectors
Ported stock cyl. head
Mopar Performance 256* camshaft

With the package of mods listed above, outputs should improve to about 160hp/180lbft. With the correct axle gears and a lightweight vehicle, performance should be quite respectable.
It's a shame that Chrysler didn't develop this engine further 'cause it had very solid foundations and a lot of potential.

Yeah, a 2.5 I4 with some of the above performance bolt-ons plus a turbo should deliver 4.0L performance with 2.5L economy. The turbo from a 2.4L Neon SRT4 should be just about the perfect size for it.

The Mopar cam for the 2.5 is no longer available. Clifford no longer sells any 2.5 parts either. There are still places making the headers though. Ive found a couple things in my research for the 2.5. 505 Performance http://www.505performance.com/ has a stroker kit available with a few different cams. That is one option. Another Ive found is a link to a thread about how much the 2.5 can be overbored, thus upping the displacement... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/2-7l-amc-4-cylinder-take-look-457885/ Though I have a few doubts about this one as it was never really confirmed enough for me, though I might look into it for my upcoming build. I know a 4.0 swap would be just as easy, and maybe even cost less, but I like my 2.5, and I want to keep it that way.

Turbo'ed 4s are all the rage for fuel economy.
I think one of the problems we are fighting on the 2.5s and 4.Xs is antiquated head design.
Anyone want to tap Hesco for a cross-flow head w/ more modern combustion champer shapes? Gas direct injection, anyone?
Back to earth, though - a turbo's 2.5 or a more modern v6 swap... maybe GM Atlas inline engine? The I-5 looks pretty stout on paper, should be available in junkyards cheapish.
I think I'll have a few years until the 4.0 blows up, probably 20-25 at the current pace, so who knows what I'll put in the Cherokee next...

Since we are talking complete crazy talk anyway...

Does anyone know if the Toyota V6 and V8 engines share a common bell pattern with say Honda "correct spin" engines?

Was thinking that a Honda J series V6 mated to a AW4 might be an interesting combination - or at least unique. The Saturn Vue used a Honda J series (non-VTEC) at one point... removable bell, adaptable to a AW4? Adaptable to GM transmissions? NV3550, 60 degree 4L60? I guess that means that the Honda K or R series I4 could work too.

Back