• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hardrock 4x4?

bobmarly123

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
These guys at Hardrock 4x4 said they can get me a dana 30, without the vacuum, for my 89 xj and swap out the gears for $500-550. Sounds like a good deal to me. I couldn't find much about them with a search of the Socal forum, only that they were expensive. The guy I talked with seemed very knowledgeable about Jeeps and what year axels could and couldn't fit my jeep. My question is has anyone had dealings with Hardrock 4x4, and were you happy with them?

Seems to me even if I pulled an axel from a junkyard and then had the gears swaped, I need 4.11 or 4.10, it would be about $500- 600.

Thanks for your input.

I have not dealt with them, but I do believe they are legit.

It will definitely be junkyard parts. They are a Jeep junkyard.

I would inquire about the bearings and gearset they plan on using and find out if they will be of the quality you are expecting (i.e. used or new).

Just front, I already have a d44 I'm swapping with 4.11 gears. I'm doing a big suspension overhaul and the price tag won't stop going up.

I'm not from that area but if anak is right and they are a jeep junkyard, they could be just pulling a 4.10 d30 from a 2.5l jeep. And charging you the $500-$550.
I would ask what gears they plan to use and check them out after you get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for 500$ I would expect that 30 to come with brand new gears, bearings, balljoints, and brakes.

for 500$ I would expect that 30 to come with brand new gears, bearings, balljoints, and brakes.

Really? Ever try to run a shop....?? I don't see how it could if they are trying to make a profit. A used dana 30 will set you back a couple hundred, gearset and install kit is another couple hundred, balljoints are another hundred. And those prices are not retail...you do realize shop can't sell parts for the same price they buy them right? And that'd still leave $0 for labor, specialized labor at that.

Not to be a dick, but you're insane if you think $500 is a fair price for a rebuilt d30 out the door.

Labor? A shop has three expenses:

1- labor.
2- labor.

And:

3- labor.

What's left often barely pays the rent, and in a good month the owner's $1.24/hr paycheck.

Last edited:
So, I may ask the guy what the axel will coast without the gear swap and then take it to somewhere I know and trust. I really just want the non vacuum and bigger shafts from the 95+. I have ball joints and can replace the shafts if need be, but that's easy work. I'm trying to avoid spending $1000+ on a gear swap for my stock dana 30 that's still on the jeep. If I can keep it under a $1000 and come away with a, used, but upgraded stronger axel I'll be happy.

I have an 89 stock xj 4.0 with d35 rear and d30 front.

Really? Ever try to run a shop....?? I don't see how it could if they are trying to make a profit. A used dana 30 will set you back a couple hundred, gearset and install kit is another couple hundred, balljoints are another hundred. And those prices are not retail...you do realize shop can't sell parts for the same price they buy them right? And that'd still leave $0 for labor, specialized labor at that.

Not to be a dick, but you're insane if you think $500 is a fair price for a rebuilt d30 out the door.

Yep.

If someone has a source for complete, re-geared HP D30s with new, good quality components and good workmanship I would love to get the contact info. I can't imagine such a business exists, or if it does, that it will exist for long.

You misunderstand me. My post has nothing to do with how much a shop should or shouldn't charge.

I understand that a shop needs to make money.

However, nobody who can do a physical axle swap (IE someone that is buying an axle NOT installed) should be paying that kind of money for an axle without new wear items. it's nonsensical.

I would absolutely expect that a 500$ dana 30 has new components. why? because I can do it for less. anyone with a few hours and basic mechanics skills can.

a 30 is 120$ from a JY around here. which can be found in 4.10.
Balljoints are 70$ for spicers on amazon (for both sides). Loaded pads and rotors
A complete front brake set from rockauto is 150$.
New axle seals and carrier bearings are 100$.

the only component on a D30 not easily replaced by an average garage mechanic is the pinion bearing.

as a hobbyist and jeep enthusiast, that is what I expect a 4.10 D30 to cost.

if anyone who has the wherewithal to swap an axle is paying 500$ and all they are getting is a Junkyard quality axle they are overpaying by more than double. (I'll give the shop an extra 100$ for the effort of pulling the axle)

maaaybe you can get a 30 for 120 if you can combine half price day with rain discount day.

i tried to buy one just a couple of weeks ago and they wanted $300. prices have gone up.

i don't know anything about hardrock 4x4, but $500 for a good, complete 4.10 dana 30 is not totally highway robbery, but not a steal.

i'd expect to do all new wear parts as soon as you get it home.

I guess it all varies on area. Around here my local yard wants $75 for front axle assembly, $80 for rear plus $25 core.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I guess it all varies on area. Around here my local yard wants $75 for front axle assembly, $80 for rear plus $25 core.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Yeah but yours are rusty. Our axles are typically in good shape, just greasy.

I pulled a 30 2 months ago on a normal day for 120$. Complete hub-hub.

You LA area people are getting shafted.

I pulled a 30 2 months ago on a normal day for 120$. Complete hub-hub.

You LA area people are getting shafted.
You should be pulling, building, and selling .

I'll give you $500 for a dana 30 hp non disco with 4.10 with new brakes, balljoints, gears, bearings, seals, etc.

Back