• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harbor Frieght Welder, $100/$130, good deal?

selarep

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/tabviewer/webDisplayItem.do?itemnumber=94056

<< BACK
Item Detail for SKU # 94056

94056.gif

90 AMP FLUX WIRE WELDER

Specifically designed to use self-shielding flux-cored welding wire, eliminating any need for gas and regulators normal MIG welders require. Includes: 4'' spool of flux-core wire and spare 0.035'' welding tip.
  • Self regulating feed control
  • Thermal protection with warning light
  • Carry handle on lid
  • Input: 115 volt, 15 amps, single phase
  • Welding current (2 settings) 63 to 68 amps (low), 79 to 90 amps (high)
  • Duty cycle: 10% @ 80 amps, 18% @ 60 amps
  • Wire capacity: 0.035'' or 0.030''

Shipping weight: 34-1/2 lbs.

function resize(){var maxw = 200;var maxh = 300;var theImage = new Image();theImage.src = 'http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/94000-94099/94056.gif';document.images['myimg'].src = theImage.src;//var width = document.images['myimg'].width ;//var height = document.images['myimg'].height ;var width = theImage.width ;var height = theImage.height ;//alert("height:"+height+" "+"width:"+width);if(width > maxw && height > maxh){ //alert("1width and height are greater"); document.images['myimg'].width = maxw;}else{ //alert("2width and height are not greater"); if(width > maxw){ //alert("2width is greater"); document.images['myimg'].width = maxw; } else if(height > maxh){ //alert("height is greater"); document.images['myimg'].height = maxh; }}}

What do you guys think??? It's only $100 and its flux so I dont need gas. I'm thinking about getting it and doing my bumpers and stuff. would it be good for the job?
I did welding in the Navy as a fire fighter but that was with Miller welders that were as big as a 60" big screen projection TV.

There's also a Dual Mig welder for $130

[FONT=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica]View more Chicago Electric Welding Systems items[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]DUAL MIG WELDER 151[/FONT]
clear.gif

[FONT=arial, sans-serif][/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]For use with or without gas. Comes with welding torch, tip, grounding cord with clamp, brush/hammer, hand held welding mask and manual.
[/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]Factory reconditioned, factory perfect; Input: 230V, 60 Hz, single phase; Welding current range: 30-120 amps; Duty cycle: 15% @ 115 amps; Draws 15 amps @ 230V; Max. open circuit voltage: 36V; Weldable wires: .023", .030", and .035 steel or stainless steel; .030" and .035" aluminum; .030" flux core[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]ITEM 55250-3VGA

$159.99 $129.99 [/FONT]

Timber said:
I can't post in Non-Tech, but I thought I'd let you know how I like mine. It welds pretty well; I'd never welded before, and my brother-in-law, who welds as part of his job, thought it did a decent job for the price. The only real problem I've had with it is that I have to keep screwing around with the wire-feed mechanism. That can be a pain in the ass, but otherwise, it's fine for me. I made some rock rails out of 2" x .120 wall and they've held up great. I also used it to reweld my rear shock mounts higher (like Gojeep's writeup).

Good luck whatever you decide.

Tim

Pesonaly, I like harbor freight for cheap wrenches and hammers. For welders though, tough call. Good price but i allways been disapointed in Chicago Electric equiptment. I would just pony up the 289 at Home Depot and get the same thing in a Lincoln. I have used one for about 2 years and it has worked great. I have added the Gas set up and the larger spool. Nice thing is, Airgas has parts and if it brakes, take it back with your reciept and get another. My pops used to say, "get quality and get it once" If your in Socal, stop by and try mine.

Its a very good welder if your realize what it is and isn't.

Its not going to be able to weld bumpers, cages, or anything beyond 1/4" steel.

1/4" requires two passes most times.

It is absolutely excellent for exhaust work.

I will second the statement about the feed mechanism. It will work fine for foot after foot of wire, then suddenly it won't work worth a damn, and I'll end up constantly messing with it.

I will NEVER buy another Lincoln product. Extremely overpriced for the quality.

what about fire power welder? are those any good?

I like my Hobart 125 for small stuff, nothing structural or that might fly off or injure someone. When it matters I use the MillerMatic 251 at work, its a serious machine.

w_howey said:
Its a very good welder if your realize what it is and isn't.

Its not going to be able to weld bumpers, cages, or anything beyond 1/4" steel.

1/4" requires two passes most times.

It is absolutely excellent for exhaust work.

I will second the statement about the feed mechanism. It will work fine for foot after foot of wire, then suddenly it won't work worth a damn, and I'll end up constantly messing with it.

I will NEVER buy another Lincoln product. Extremely overpriced for the quality.

What the heck do you make your bumpers out of, 3/8"? Dang! :D

From personal experience with this welder...
It has two amp settings, "high and higher" and takes either .30 or .35 wire. I mainly use mine on 1/8" and 3/16" steel, and have build a bumper or two with it out of 3/16 with no issues.

For your basic sheet metal work, it has too much amperage even at the low setting.
Exhaust work, on "Low" with .30 wire works, but you need to watch and make sure you don't blow through by accident.

I don't have issues with the feed mech. I rebent the "spring" that holds the pressure wheel to give it more pressure, and I change tips often.

I have been thinking of putting a fax in mine as when I get going, I don't want to stop for the welder ;)

Kinda OT: HF has a nice self darkening helmet for, like, $49 on sale.

Zuki-Ron said:

It has two amp settings, "high and higher" and takes either .30 or .35 wire. I mainly use mine on 1/8" and 3/16" steel, and have build a bumper or two with it out of 3/16 with no issues.

For your basic sheet metal work, it has too much amperage even at the low setting.
Exhaust work, on "Low" with .30 wire works, but you need to watch and make sure you don't blow through by accident.

I don't have issues with the feed mech. I rebent the "spring" that holds the pressure wheel to give it more pressure, and I change tips often.

I have been thinking of putting a fax in mine as when I get going, I don't want to stop for the welder ;)

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]UGLY FLAMING SKULL WELDING HELMET[/FONT]
clear.gif
94566.gif

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Hand-painted in polyurethane for a custom effect.
  • Large 3.5" x 1.5" auto-darkening lens with variable shade from 9-13
  • Progressive sensor with IR and UV protection
  • Two millisecond switching time
  • Solar powered with two AAA rechargeable batteries
  • Meets CE and ANSI standards
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
Redtail# PN 10252[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]ITEM 94566-3VGA[/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]

$79.99 $59.99 [/FONT]

um... errrr.
edit: looks like someone related to Leela from futurama

Zuki-Ron said:

Not OT at all. That helmet is great for a newbie welder.

I use .30 wire and low setting, and go slow for exhaust.

I will say it again. I will NEVER buy another Lincoln product. I had a Lincoln 140T and had nothing but problems with it. The transformer burnt out 3 weeks after I had it. Sent it in for warranty work. Got it back a month later. Three uses later, the feed dies. Once again in for warranty work. Next job something shorts in the controls and it switches its self to 140 amps and the trigger no longer cuts off the juice. Get it back from warranty work a month later. Hear on the news that Lincoln gives its workers bonuses up to $10k. So sickened, I sell it to a friends who desperately needs a small flux-core to fill out his shop.

selarep said:

um... errrr.
edit: looks like someone related to Leela from futurama

No, that's not the one. The one I am refering to doesn't even take batteries and is much easier on the eyes. It's ITEM 46092-9VGA and they can be gotten on sale for $50.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to put a "fax" in my welder- HA! I really meant "fan" but it looks like you folks read around it :D

Zuki-Ron said:
I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to put a "fax" in my welder- HA! I really meant "fan" but it looks like you folks read around it :D

I knew you meant fan, but I'm not sure if it will help the duty cycle of the welder that much. It will prolong the life of it though.

Me personnaly, Id like to have a much bigger welder than what I have for what I'm doing and will be doing. the 2 problems I have are I do not have 220 in the garage and I don't have the money for a bigger welder!

xjtrailrider said:
I knew you meant fan, but I'm not sure if it will help the duty cycle of the welder that much. It will prolong the life of it though.

Me personnaly, Id like to have a much bigger welder than what I have for what I'm doing and will be doing. the 2 problems I have are I do not have 220 in the garage and I don't have the money for a bigger welder!

Same here, no 220V, though I have been strongly thinking about it. I think it would cost me less to run the garage at 220V and I could get better tools.

So I ended up find me a Lincoln Welder, compact 100 seriers 115v that can do up to 1/4" for only... $100. New. it was used as a back up welder but they didnt need it so the guy just ened up partting some things off it (minor like the face plate and one lead) so I got all replacement parts for $100. I gots me a new welder for from Lincoln for $200. hehe! Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo CRAIGSLIST!

Check at the Pawn Shops.

I always see welders in there, as well as other tools. Prices are great if you know what you are looking at. I got a Hobart 175 with a cart and all the stock stuff for $300. It had a broken plastic knob. Dealer had the knob in stock for $15. I bought a bottle off of Ebay from Indianapolis for $35 with a new regulator and inspection stamp.

Unless you need it now, keeping your eyes open could really pay off.

Fish'nCarz said:
Check at the Pawn Shops.

I always see welders in there, as well as other tools. Prices are great if you know what you are looking at. I got a Hobart 175 with a cart and all the stock stuff for $300. It had a broken plastic knob. Dealer had the knob in stock for $15. I bought a bottle off of Ebay from Indianapolis for $35 with a new regulator and inspection stamp.

Unless you need it now, keeping your eyes open could really pay off.

thats a geally good idea... the guy i was gonna get the lincoln from ended up flaking out on me so I never got it. 1st thing tomorrow I am gonna go check out my local pawn shops, thanks!

Back