• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HANDGUNS

I have a FNP 40 that's fantastic. Its a 14+1. If your not a fan of the 40 it comes in 9 and 45. There is a FNX, FNP, and FNS. All three have some different features. I shoot a lot. A whole lot. Mine hasn't jammed yet, and being a medium frame.firearm it conceals relatively easily.

My personal opinion, glocks are mediocre at best. I base that on my experience with them in the field.

I won't buy a Kimber for the same reason I won't buy anything from skyjacker. Overpriced, you can get better quality cheaper.

XD's are fantastic firearms.

Look at sig sauer if you want a 1911.

Ram-Rod
Do you already have a handgun?

Hank

Hank: Yes I do. But it is a .357 revolver. Love the gun it has a ported heavy barrel and shots great but looking for a .45 semi auto. hence the question. seems alot of people are telling me what I have been hearing.

Craig: Thank you for the info. We will get together soon to try out the newer range you were telling us about.

Have you checked out a Glock 23? Thats what I use for my Concealed Carry. Its really a perfect size not a compact, but not quite as big as a full size. Kimber is overpriced and flashy. You want a gun that you can carry, drop in the mud, pick up and shoot, and you know it's ALWAYS going to shoot? Glock is the way to go. They don't fail. Springfield, Berreta, even Ruger is better than Kimber's when you really put them to the test.

I think glocks are uncomfortable to shoot. Especially the sub compacts, they are probably my least favorite guns I have ever shot

Hank: Yes I do. But it is a .357 revolver. Love the gun it has a ported heavy barrel and shots great but looking for a .45 semi auto. hence the question. seems alot of people are telling me what I have been hearing.

This is Hanks take on the situation

Probably not an answer anywhere in this rant but hopefully some useful info.

Thank you for your response and even offering detail into your current situation.

My reason for asking whether you currently have a pistol is to understand your current style of shooting, your comfort level by caliber, and your willingness to maintain your equipment. Also I would question of you plan to take your training to a higher level. I simply know by your jeep, your videos, etc..., you are a detailed person and willing to sacrifice a little time to keep things nice so right away a clean 1911 sounds tempting.

Owning a plastic gun is like owning an XJ... It works every time (this isn't arguable). There are only three plastic guns; Glock, S&W MP series, and Springfield XD's. Each of these guns will go bang every time.

Owning a 1911 is like owning a really nice Range Rover assuming you get a decent gun. Stock for stock both XJ and Rover get the job done. There is a level of guilt that can come with the Rover. You don't want just anyone getting in it and getting it dirty, you don't want to risk getting it scratched, you want to park it in the garage, etc.. This is life with a nice 1911.

Hopefully my comparison is understood.

Back to my three plastic guns..... I'm a firm believer that everyone needs a gun to beat on, to not clean after every use, to lay in the yard and practice picking up, to practice slamming mags into, and really just treat as there goto, XJ style, firearm. These three guns fit a shooters hand completely differently and need to be looked at as equals that simply fit differently. If you go plastic they all need considered.

VERY important to me is the angle of my wrist. I need a gun to feel like an extension of my body. Those three plastic guns have different grip angles. The XD is going to be closer to a 1911, the Glock is going to be closer to your revolver with your wrist rolled a little more forward. The Smith has never fit me quite right so I can't compare it.

So my curve ball to the plastic guns that I don't feel guilty beating on... The STI Trojan 1911. Don't own one but really like the bang for the buck and willingness to abuse it.

Have you decided on Aluminum frame vs. steel frame for the 1911? I don't need to know, just something to consider.

I have owned both plastic and 1911 and consider myself very proficient with both. I race with a Glock, I carry a Baby Glock in 357Sig when I need a smaller option and for years carried a 1911 when I would carry all weekend long.

The fact of the matter is that you may as well plan on owning two more guns... :)

I don't mind elaborating but I will not debate... For a couples of years I shot more per week than most average shooters shoot per year. I've seen a lot of guns in hands of very capable people, this has created what I feel is a very educated and experienced opinion.

Sorry for typos... All written on a phone and in a hurry.

Big Hank

The XD-M 9mm 3.8 is my favorite CCW. Compact, light, excellent quality, accurate (for a short barrel), recoil is not a concerning issue, high capacity (19+1)... just plain a good weapon!!!

I highly suggest this pistol if you're looking for a CCW.

This is Hanks take on the situation

Probably not an answer anywhere in this rant but hopefully some useful info.

Thank you for your response and even offering detail into your current situation.

My reason for asking whether you currently have a pistol is to understand your current style of shooting, your comfort level by caliber, and your willingness to maintain your equipment. Also I would question of you plan to take your training to a higher level. I simply know by your jeep, your videos, etc..., you are a detailed person and willing to sacrifice a little time to keep things nice so right away a clean 1911 sounds tempting.

Owning a plastic gun is like owning an XJ... It works every time (this isn't arguable). There are only three plastic guns; Glock, S&W MP series, and Springfield XD's. Each of these guns will go bang every time.

Owning a 1911 is like owning a really nice Range Rover assuming you get a decent gun. Stock for stock both XJ and Rover get the job done. There is a level of guilt that can come with the Rover. You don't want just anyone getting in it and getting it dirty, you don't want to risk getting it scratched, you want to park it in the garage, etc.. This is life with a nice 1911.

Hopefully my comparison is understood.

Back to my three plastic guns..... I'm a firm believer that everyone needs a gun to beat on, to not clean after every use, to lay in the yard and practice picking up, to practice slamming mags into, and really just treat as there goto, XJ style, firearm. These three guns fit a shooters hand completely differently and need to be looked at as equals that simply fit differently. If you go plastic they all need considered.

VERY important to me is the angle of my wrist. I need a gun to feel like an extension of my body. Those three plastic guns have different grip angles. The XD is going to be closer to a 1911, the Glock is going to be closer to your revolver with your wrist rolled a little more forward. The Smith has never fit me quite right so I can't compare it.

So my curve ball to the plastic guns that I don't feel guilty beating on... The STI Trojan 1911. Don't own one but really like the bang for the buck and willingness to abuse it.

Have you decided on Aluminum frame vs. steel frame for the 1911? I don't need to know, just something to consider.

I have owned both plastic and 1911 and consider myself very proficient with both. I race with a Glock, I carry a Baby Glock in 357Sig when I need a smaller option and for years carried a 1911 when I would carry all weekend long.

The fact of the matter is that you may as well plan on owning two more guns... :)

I don't mind elaborating but I will not debate... For a couples of years I shot more per week than most average shooters shoot per year. I've seen a lot of guns in hands of very capable people, this has created what I feel is a very educated and experienced opinion.

Sorry for typos... All written on a phone and in a hurry.

Big Hank

This is my go-to guy on anything gun related! :thumbup:

it is never okay to not clean your weapon. Period.

I'll elaborate....

Shoot 3-5 days a week and share that theory. I have no issue waiting until Sunday afternoon. The rest of the days just bore snake it and go to bed...

Although, I agree, no defense gun rides on my hip dirty.

Big 'wish I shot like I used to' Hank

Dirty weapons Jam. Jammed weapons are almost useless. Clean your weapon.

I put 500 rounds through my xd on a couple months without cleaning it and it never jammed.

I carry a Glock 22 for work and a Glock 27 off duty. I love the .40 it's a perfect balance between the 9mm and .45. My 22 has prob 5000 rounds through it and the only thing I've done it upgrade the plastic rod to a stainless rod. I love the angle of the grip as well as the ridges in the grip for your fingers. It's the most comfortable gun in my hand and its reliable and that's why I carry Glock. For the record I am not a Gordon fan or even a NASCAR fan.

I've had a few guns that I let get dirty that I don't depend for self defense and put thousands of cheap lead through and I rarely have issues with jamming. A good gun is built to be able to shoot dirty. I put maybe 2000 rounds of wolf through my AK without cleaning it with no issue. I keep my carry glocks clean and oiled though.

There have been a bunch of good guns suggested here. But asking a guy about what the best hand gun is is like asking a Jeeper about what the best oil is.

My suggestion is to get your hands on as many different guns as you can get your hands on. Talk to friends. Talk to gun dealers. Talk to people that work at the shooting ranges in your area. Most gun owners a very proud of what they have and will usually be glad to help another would be owner make a good decision by letting them shoot their guns. Just be courteous and bring your own ammo.

I am a volunteer RSO at a very busy shooting range here in Utah. My carry guns have naturally migrated to .45 ACP for some reason, but I carry a box of 9mm and .40 in my range bag at all times just in case I get the opportunity to shoot something new or different.

As for the 1911, I have handled, owned, and shot many fine handguns, but have always gone back to the 1911 as my goto gun. It just feels better in my hand and shoots wonderfully.

Kimber makes a sweet gun, but as mentioned before, I too feel that they are way overpriced. I have a full sized Springfield Mil-spec that is a great gun. I also have a Metro Arms Amigo 1911 that is very dependable and fun to shoot. I have not owned a Kimber, but have handled and shot many fine Kimbers. If you can afford it, you will not be disappointed with it.

I already have my next gun picked out. It will be a RIA 1911 based 10mm. I really like the 10mm round. I just recently lost my 10mm Witness, along with all my other guns, in a freak whitewater rafting accident. I have a bunch of 10mm ammo and the reloading dies for it already so the cost there will not be an issue.

Back