• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Half Doors

Chris @ GATR said:
I am 6'2 280lbs and I dont have any problems.

I love half doors or tube doors because of how easy it is to see where you are putting your tires.

I'd say try it, you might like it.

509a57cc.jpg

halfdoor.jpg

JEONLYEP said:
It's kinda late (with the supports you have), but I found it was much easier to weld the new top to the door skin by making it 2 inches wider than needed, and bending the extra inch on each side down.

You can kind of see what I mean in this photo of my door latch....

Daryl
Thanks Daryl !

I thought about doing that it just seamed to me to be harder than building a frame off f something that all ready lines up in the door.

I like the way your hinge works though. I am thinking of the same thing. Thanks again

doinky72 said:
I thought about doing that it just seamed to me to be harder than building a frame off f something that all ready lines up in the door.

Harder or not might really depend on your access to a metal break to bend them.

And welding skill to weld a 90º butt joint on thin sheet metals...

I could get to a break, and was a lousy welder with sheet metal....

Last edited:
On a side note... not to hijack the thread (if someone wants to hit me up back channel that would be cool. Does anyone know of any cheaper, I know it isn't cheap to make these, half doors/tube doors for a 4dr xj? I did some searching, but only found writeups. Thanks in advance.

to the OP... nice half doors, I wish I had some fab skill to make my own :D

I like the cut a bit higher so it can be used as an arm rest,just like a wrangler half door.

HlfDoor17.sized.jpg

The inner plate and main arm rest area are the same piece .The arm rest area is bent over 90*.Then two smaller plates for each angled piece.

HlfDoor10.sized.jpg

HlfDoor14.sized.jpg

Made a plate for the factory door handle

latch1.sized.jpg

The factory piece from the inner door welded to the new plate

latch.sized.jpg

The inner skin all tack welded to the door.The two angled plates welded up and door handle in place with some screws for access to the inside of the door if needed.

HlfDoor21.sized.jpg

As to what they are good for.They are good for remaining street legal for the most part since most cops won't look at a cut up doored XJ twice while they will look at an Xj going down the road with no doors and mirrors all day.It give me place to put a cup holder,speaker,rest my arm,get a nice breeze and best of all a better view of what is going on outside my truck at each tire.If I really needed to at times I could lean out far enough to look under the vehicle and see pretty much each tire.

P73005_29.sized.jpg

Last edited:
Bear with me with these pics they suck...

0423082106a.jpg

0423082107a.jpg

I skinned the inside of the pannel....Just need to do the top tonight and work out the linkage....

I have a run in on Sunday so I hope I can get this done and use it....

You should have left the inside panel open, or with a removable panel. If you ever need to get in there to work on the latch, handle or linkage.

Maybe you still have room to reach in there, it's kinda hard to tell from the photos.

JEONLYEP said:
You should have left the inside panel open, or with a removable panel. If you ever need to get in there to work on the latch, handle or linkage.

Maybe you still have room to reach in there, it's kinda hard to tell from the photos.

Yeah again sorry about the photos...I will try to get better ones tonight.

I'm leaving a removable pannel ubove on the arm rest area. It will give me plenty of room to work and be a bit stronger IMO

I installed the cup holder and plated a bit more....

0424081949.jpg

0424081948a.jpg

0424081948.jpg

It is turning out ok. Now I need to figure out the linkage....

What I'm thinking is I will take a old CJ handle and tie in the stock linkage to it. As well as making the last panel removable so that I can fix the linkage if anything goes wrong inside.

JEONLYEP said:
Do you have a reason that you are welding the full length of each seem?

No not really....I figure it will be stronger. But maybe it is also just causing me more work.

Any sugestion why not to? I'm just curious what the pros / cons would be

doinky72 said:
No not really....I figure it will be stronger. But maybe it is also just causing me more work.

Any sugestion why not to? I'm just curious what the pros / cons would be

A couple tacks ever 2 to 3 inches or so should be about as strong, use less wire, and put less heat into the metal to prevent warpage. Especially if you don't do them in a line, but skip around the panel that you are welding on.

Then again, it's good practice at laying down beads the way you are doing it.

Back