• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

H4 Conversion

XJROMEO

NAXJA Forum User
So after being woken Saturday night up to having my headlight busted out I figure it's about time I upgrade to h4's while my headlight is shattered(just the glass at least the bulb works :/) and I'm just curious what people are running out there or if anyone has any preferences over the other. Let me know whatcha got!

Cibies are pretty much the best. If you want to get the most out of them though, you really need a relay harness - Susquehanna Motorsports (rallylights.com) makes a nice one. I'm not a big fan of the "putco" harnesses (Chinese made, yellow covering, sold by pretty much everyone) as the wire isn't as heavy and apparently the connectors/sockets aren't very high quality either.

Cibies are pretty much the best. If you want to get the most out of them though, you really need a relay harness - Susquehanna Motorsports (rallylights.com) makes a nice one. I'm not a big fan of the "putco" harnesses (Chinese made, yellow covering, sold by pretty much everyone) as the wire isn't as heavy and apparently the connectors/sockets aren't very high quality either.

The wire in mine is 12awg, at least on the power and feed lines, the trigger lines are like 16awg, same a s OEM I think, but they don't need to carry a lot of current anyways.
My "putco" harness has done well, (installation techniques and a little forethought a head of time goes a long way for longevity) ...going on like 4 years now, and still not a hiccup.
Are there better harnesses out there? - Perhaps.
Could I make one better than this one? - Definitely.
Does this one (putco) work and work well? - Absolutely.

I have the cheap ones from Baxter auto parts
I'm not in love with them There plastic and don't have a cap on the inside (spills light all over)

I want the Hellas
All glass (etched glass) with a cap inside.

Six states also has a glass one with the cap inside iv been looking at

Re: Re: H4 Conversion

I have the cheap ones from Baxter auto parts
I'm not in love with them There plastic and don't have a cap on the inside (spills light all over)

I want the Hellas
All glass (etched glass) with a cap inside.

Six states also has a glass one with the cap inside iv been looking at

Hellas are pretty damn expensive! But everyone I know that's had them has loved them. And I hear to stay away from the plastic ones as much as possible.

Forgot to add to this thread, if you are considering going for 'the best' also consider JW Speaker LED units. Price is in the same ballpark as 2x Cibies, 2x H4s, and a SM relay harness, but install is easier as they will run on stock wiring.

I have been running the hella H4 conversion housings 100/90w bulbs with go jeeps
Harness a friend made(gold cobra) for a couple of years they work awesome.

I have the IPF H4 housings. Been running them on the heep since about a month after I picked it up in 2008. Running the LMC truck HL harness. AS of Sept been running the Hella 80/100 bulbs from amazon, only about 8$/ea.
For my MJ, I will either buy another set of of IPF's or some Cibies. I think I paid 70$ for the pair of IPF's from Q-tec.
Do not think you can go wrong with Hella, IPF, Cibie, etc.

I run the IPF units. I have yet to relay them and install higher wattage bulbs, but they perform really well. I have Hella round H4 housings and custom relay harness with 90/130 Hella yellowstars in my mk2 golf. Talk about some light output. I hope to have the same from my XJ one day. sadly, i'm not convinced the square lights have the ability to perform as well as the round units.

Back