• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

H2 wheels for 8 lug FW swap?

BennettXJ

NAXJA Forum User
this may be a newb question, but i cant really figure it out from the search.
Im going 8 lug FW, and need some new wheels. there are tons of cheap sets of H2 wheels on ebay, but will they fit the 8on6.5 circle? or are they all metric like the new fords? I dont really want anything flashy, but i figured theyre cheap and have a lot of backspacing, right?

or am i confusing the TRUE hummer rims with double beadlocks and the H2 alloys? i know the true ones will work, but will the h2s?

-Bennett

They are supposed to be 8 on 6.5. I have a set mounted up, but I have not put the new axles under my XJ yet. And yes, you can get them dirt cheap on ebay.

mini_DSC00147_001.sized.jpg

ok awesome, so i can grab a set of those then? im FF front and rear, so ill just leave the caps off i guess. those look good with real tires on them. and they will work with 8 on 6.5? what do you mean theyre 'suppsoed to be'?

BennettXJ said:
ok awesome, so i can grab a set of those then? im FF front and rear, so ill just leave the caps off i guess. those look good with real tires on them. and they will work with 8 on 6.5? what do you mean theyre 'suppsoed to be'?

According to all of the specs i've read on the wheels they are 8 on 6.5in. The reason I say supposed is because I have not personally mounted them up yet.

-Scott

BrettM said:
they are normal 8 in 6.5, but I've heard with most axles you'd be putting these on (14bolt, Dana 60s, etc) the hole in the middle isn't big enough and needs to be opened up. they are not beadlocked.

I´ve got a collection of 8 bolt rims, Ford, Chev. and Dodge, most of the difference is the size of the center hole and backspacing. Even have a set of military Hummer rims, with the aluminum inner tire.
Backspacing may cause some rims, to hit the steering arm on some front axles.

opening up the hole isnt a problem.
rear is a d60 sf (not ff as i said earlier, sorry)
front is an HD HP44

the backspacing worries me some, but id rather have them tucked in than out, because my out-to-out measurement now will already be pushing 80" with those rims. can i just get spacers for them, or is it a LOT of BS that needs to be taken in?

-Bennett

BrettM said:
they are not beadlocked.

Not yet ;) But in a few months you'll see some on there.

-Scott

BennettXJ said:
opening up the hole isnt a problem.
rear is a d60 sf (not ff as i said earlier, sorry)
front is an HD HP44

the backspacing worries me some, but id rather have them tucked in than out, because my out-to-out measurement now will already be pushing 80" with those rims. can i just get spacers for them, or is it a LOT of BS that needs to be taken in?

-Bennett
I've heard 5". that's pretty good for fullwidth axles, my only concern would be the hubs sticking out too far. hopefully Billy (jeepfreak21) will chime in here, he was/is looking at running these and should have some good info to add.

BrettM said:
I've heard 5". that's pretty good for fullwidth axles, my only concern would be the hubs sticking out too far. hopefully Billy (jeepfreak21) will chime in here, he was/is looking at running these and should have some good info to add.

5" is about right. I have read 5 and 5.5" of back spacing. From the pics i've seen your hubs will stick out a bit more then most people like. I guess you'll just have more incentive to carry extra hubs.

BrettM said:
Waggy drive flanges would be a good option, they'll narrow the hubs by about 1 inch, but then your hubs are always locked in.

Warn drive flanges on a front 60 with H2 rims (Which fit just fine, BTW) are flush with the rim lip. No worries. Hubs WILL stick out.

The center hole does need to be opened up to run them on a 14b (what I run), but not a FF Dana 60, I'm told.

You can get aluminum rings to make them beadlocked. There is a post on www.pirate4x4.com with AutoCAD files.

Great low cost option.

Thanks,
Jay

jlake1 said:
Warn drive flanges on a front 60 with H2 rims (Which fit just fine, BTW) are flush with the rim lip. No worries. Hubs WILL stick out.

The center hole does need to be opened up to run them on a 14b (what I run), but not a FF Dana 60, I'm told.

You can get aluminum rings to make them beadlocked. There is a post on www.pirate4x4.com with AutoCAD files.

Great low cost option.

Thanks,
Jay
yeah, lowcost if you have a buddy with a waterjet and piles of 3/8 AL. read that thread and you will see that most people are getting quotes that are not low cost.

here's some H2 wheels on d60's front and rear, best pics i could find

IMG_4742.jpg

IMG_4766.jpg

Brad

FWIW, I run H2 rims and tires on my Dodge 3/4 diesel tow rig (60 front,70 rear). You will have to open up the center hole on the rim to go over a FF axle. There is a lip on the inside that you can see plain as day. Believe it or not, I actually used a right angle grinder to "machine" the lip down. It took me about 20 mins. to do all 4 wheels. You don't have to have it perfect since the rims are lug centric. I've had them on there for about 7,000 miles so far and no vibration. BTW, I paid $300 for the rims with the tires. Find your local Hummer dealer and find their "take off" rim pile. Ours had at least 10 sets that new H2 owners took off!

Back