• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

H.D. Offroad Engineering Roof Slider Install v2.0

Looking good MAC (scuffing up the $25 paintjob) gyver.....

actually...i painted them using information from my local automotive paint shop guy...

acid etch primer (1 coat), three coats of good primer (dried over night in the garage at 70 degrees), and three coats of good paint...i have pics of the process to post at some point.

mac 'I have $100 in the paint' gyvr

Here's the paint and install pics (warning crappy cellphone pics):

here's how they came packaged:
1116091336.jpg

here's the hardware, mine came with the optional end caps:
1116091339.jpg

i welded the end caps on and ground down my booger welds:
1117091900.jpg

cleaned and sanded for paint:
1117091902.jpg

first round with one coat of acid etch primer (took 1 can):
1117091921.jpg

three coats of a good primer (took 1.5 cans to get one layer):
1117092037.jpg

allow the 3 coats to dry over night in a heated area, while you are waiting on the primer to dry you can start taking the original roof rack off...and for me since the jeep had been in the shop for almost a year, cleaning the roof:
1116092259.jpg

then lay down three coats of good paint (took me 1 can per coat)(note i painted mine in flat black, this can of semi gloss was accidental...so i had to paint over the semi gloss):
1119092334.jpg

1117092037a.jpg

allow to dry over night. then install the braces that install to where the roof rack used to be. don't tighted everything down just yet, then add the cross braces and install hardware but don't tighten down until all the hardware is installed.
1120092157.jpg

then tighten everything up. having a buddy help makes it a lot easier...
1120092159.jpg

enjoy the view:
1120092223.jpg

mine installed in about an hour with a buddy's help...

mac 'my roof needs painted' gyvr

Nice Install Mac, You trying to out do Byron or what?

Flexd 'may have to get these for XJ #2' XJ

Nice Install Mac, You trying to out do Byron or what?

Flexd 'may have to get these for XJ #2' XJ

nope, i used his install pics to install mine, just thought i would take a few more pics along the way from what i learned to help with others that buy the sliders.

there can never be too many pics for an install...plus no one has ever really covered paint that I have seen...

mac 'we'll see who the paint holds up' gyvr

nope, i used his install pics to install mine, just thought i would take a few more pics along the way from what i learned to help with others that buy the sliders.

there can never be too many pics for an install...plus no one has ever really covered paint that I have seen...

mac 'we'll see who the paint holds up' gyvr

Very true but If you can't find a thread on painting on here you are Blind! :D I was going to get a set and Never put my surco up for sale to get them. I may have to now.

Looks good Mac! Glad you got some action shots posted.

I may have to get a set of the end caps since it looks like it will be a while until I can tie it into my fenders.

Bringing this back to the top....... Any discounts for those going to WF? Be the perfect time to put them on and hopefully not try them out :)

with
DSCF0116.jpg

without
DSCF0115.jpg

different angle
with
DSCF0113.jpg

without
DSCF0114.jpg

from the badlands

mac 'free advertising' gyvr

Bringing this back to the top....... Any discounts for those going to WF? Be the perfect time to put them on and hopefully not try them out :)

Shoot a PM to BRIANHO13, you never know.

BTW I have used mine several times, especially at Redbird and they do exactly what they are supposed to do. I wouldn't have rain gutters or rear 1/4 windows without these sliders.

I love mine. Great protection for the rain gutters and side windows.
The only odd thing is on gravel roads the factory "rails" in the middle of the roof vibrate against the bars for the rack. Makes for an odd noise.

I have a sunroof like that on mine as well. I haven't seen one anywhere else until now. I'm thinking it's a factory option now since they both look exactly the same.

I have one on my 98 limited. I have been told that they were a dealer install option. I think they are ASC brand.

So does the Roof Slider work with the sunroof. I forgot to measure my XJ today.

Back