• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guys!! You need to own a AAA card!

Jump This

Just another minion!
It just seems as though a AAA towing card should be as standard an issue
as a full size spare.
Gotta' have one.
Over the last couple of days we have seen what happens when you don't have 'The Card.' We are talking hundreds and hundreds of dollars here.
And when you join, get the premium RV/Motorcycle package. This bugger will get you where you need to go!
I live wayyyyyy out here and wouldn't let my son or my wife drive without one.

GET ONE!!

NOW!!

Any testimonials out there?

Rick

Was running John Bull a few months ago. Came accross a completely unprepared CJ-7 who had gotten stuck wheeling alone. We attempted to help fix some major steering damage among other things. Finally got him off the trail and he called AAA to tow him home. He had only 100 mile towing service and was 107 miles away from home. Not as big a deal but cost him 140 bucks extra to get it home. Ive since upgraded to 200 mile towing service

I say if you dont have enough coverage to be completely towed home have a plan of action and know of somewhere you can have your jeep towed if you get some major damage.

Yep - when we changed over from Allstate (they were being a pain, and came up with this "equity payment" nonsense that just killed us every six months, since the boys were learning to drive...) to AAA, they told me you had to be a member. Makes sense - and I don't know why I hadn't done it earlier.

So, I signed my wife up first - I'm an "associate." She's not used the towing yet, but we've been saved from wasting about a full day on line at DMV by being able to go to AAA instead (and AAA is closer to us anyhow.)

Even with an appointment, I've not gotten out of a DMV out here in anything less than three bloody hours. AAA? Ten minutes - fifteen, tops. Almost like going to BMV back home (the drive test took about 20 minutes, ten minutes for the written test and fiddle-faddle, and I walked out with my license in my pocket. Out here? It took three hours on line, ten minutes for the test - a half-hour for them to mark it - and four tries over six months for them to spell my name right!)

Even if you don't get insurance through them, join up - between the towing and the ability to handle routine DMV crap there, it's worth it.

Let's just say that recent events have made me decide that yes, the upgrade to Premium really is worth it for the longer tows you can have.

And AAA vs. DMV is really no contest - that's half the reason I signed up initially.

I've been a member since 1998, definately pays for itself when you drive a POS.
The DMV savings of time and free maps are a bonus.

Yes the $150 bucks or so a YEAR is so worth it.....

I live in the Southbay about 85 miles from Rivercide.... Someone tried to steal my Jeep one evening and busted up my steering column and my ignition, but couldn't get it started (Thanks to a weak battery!) Long Story short they had a flatbed wrecker to me in 15 minutes @ 3:00 a.m. and free ride back to my house....

Don't leave home without it!

I recently upgraded to from Plus to Premier. With all these long trips we make, it's well worth it.

I know that Curt and Kyung have both gotten long tows from AAA.

Dose the card cover gas? just asking becasue I have road side with my ins. Couple of weeks ago I ran out of gas they sent a towtruck with some gas but I had to pay for the gas. I was a little irretated why do I spend 6 bucks a month and then have to pay for the one time I use the service in 3 years. At least they only charged me 3 bucks a gallon, if i had more cash I would have told the guy to top it off

Funny you posted this, I just signed up for one. Never had one before and luckily never needed one either but I decided not to push my luck any further.
gr_driving3.gif

I can vouch for getting the Premier card! I had basic when my fuel pump went out in JV. Kyung used his 200 mile tow for me. Then before the RockinXJ jambo in JV in November, I upgraded to premier and thankfully I did because Kyung was in need since he used his 200 mile tow for me. I gladly returned the favor by using my 200 mile tow for him.

My wife also had a flat tire and her spare didnt have any air in it. Used aaa to tow it back which saved us $350 right there.

It will save you mucho moolah.

My wife has also used the plastic credit card key twice on her car which you get for free as a member.

We were coming back from the Swamp Lake run at Sierrafest last summer and the fuel pump went out. We had just started up the Grapevine when it happened. When we pulled into my driveway the mileage was 199 miles. It paid for it that trip.

A few times, does not even have to be your vehicle or even one rig. I broke a pinion bearing last year and another guy broke his Driveshafts. towed him to pavement then called AAA the drug his and put mine on the flatbed 99 miles to my house.

NikVallens said:
Was running John Bull a few months ago. Came accross a completely unprepared CJ-7 who had gotten stuck wheeling alone. We attempted to help fix some major steering damage among other things. Finally got him off the trail and he called AAA to tow him home. He had only 100 mile towing service and was 107 miles away from home. Not as big a deal but cost him 140 bucks extra to get it home. Ive since upgraded to 200 mile towing service

I say if you dont have enough coverage to be completely towed home have a plan of action and know of somewhere you can have your jeep towed if you get some major damage.

He got charged $20/mile to continue the towing?

I guess I got lucky. My old K5 broke down on the freeway on the way home from Truckhaven. 110 miles out and I was able to use my buddies 100 mile tow. The extra 10 miles was an additional 20 bucks.

Now that I have the Duramax and a flatbed trailer, my XJ is towed to the trail and towed back home. Worst case with an XJ breakage is I need help getting it back to the tow rig. :) With the club members I ride with, that is not a problem.

yup: definately worth it:
1. I towed my rolled carcass back home from BB
2. I had Bill Burge towed home when his slave cylinder died in BB.

Each tow fell into 200 mile tow category.

there have been more than a few occasions where i've been quite thankful that i've had it... i had my clutch in my '96 turbo eclipse explode and rip apart my transmission, bell housing, thermostat housing, ripped apart my battery and threw battery acid all over everything under the hood - AAA was there. flat tires when i had no spare (yea i was that guy) they brought me to a tire shop and waited for a new one to get mounted and balanced and brought me back to my car... a few times when riding with friends who have either gotten in collisions or stuck in the mud, i've called them up and just because i'm with them, they'll tow it under my name...

i certainly agree... AAA, don't leave home without it - and if you have a family, make sure they have it too!

Kejtar said:
yup: definately worth it:
1. I towed my rolled carcass back home from BB
2. I had Bill Burge towed home when his slave cylinder died in BB.

Each tow fell into 200 mile tow category.

Yup! I upgraded fom Plus to Premier right ater that. With Plus, I would have still owed for over 40 miles (potentially a small fortune!)

Hopefully, I paid part of Remi back tonight! (I hung out with Kristopher until the flatbed arrived and handed over my AAA card. Not a 100 miler, but well beyond the use of his basic AAA. :wave: Thanks Remi! )

bburge

I upgraded to the 200 mile package last year after I put my fan through the radiator... 9 miles from home! The 2 miles cost me about 20 bucks, and I started thinking about how bad that could have been...

Back