• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GUNS & AMMO

Alright so I was scolded by Skully for not posting pictures of the recent changes to a rifle of mine. Here is a picture showing "before and after" the changes

467095_315481865194775_100001988925986_715973_287431361_o.jpg

Im super excited to actually have a cheek weld now! Hopefully I can get the scope dialed in soon.

We'll be at the mile June 14th to 16th. Camping @ rainbow hole or at the southern end of Pathfinder.

Crap....I'll be up working out of my family's cabin with Search and Rescue on the Bighorn Mtn. Trail Run that weekend. It's a hundred mile run through the mountains here. I will get some fishing in while I am there....just none as big as the mile has.

Alright so I was scolded by Skully for not posting pictures of the recent changes to a rifle of mine. Here is a picture showing "before and after" the changes

467095_315481865194775_100001988925986_715973_287431361_o.jpg

Im super excited to actually have a cheek weld now! Hopefully I can get the scope dialed in soon.

At least you cleaned your coffee table.

Can you give me that A1 upper?

Thats the problem with having so many summer hobbies, my climbing gear, guns etc. usually end up occypying the same space.

I'm thinking about keeping the old upper, but... is there anything you'd want to trade for it?

Nah, I was trying to score free stuff. :roll: One of these days I'd like to build a retro style A1, not soon though, been spending all my money on Jeep stuff.

I try not to take pictures int he house, my house is 770 square feet and I have myself, my wife, and my two kids. *everything* is cluttered, all surfaces are full of stuff. People always think it's just not right when you take pictures of an AR-15 and there's sippy cups and Dr. Seuss books next to it.

Finally finished the chrome lined extra turned barrel , match grade bolt and carrier . and DPMS upper .
Still throwing lots of rounds down range with the plumb crazy lower . I bought it just to see how many rounds I could put through it before upgrading the lower to a Wilson Combat ...

DSC01766.jpg

Finally finished the chrome lined extra turned barrel , match grade bolt and carrier . and DPMS upper .
Still throwing lots of rounds down range with the plumb crazy lower . I bought it just to see how many rounds I could put through it before upgrading the lower to a Wilson Combat ...

DSC01766.jpg

7.62x39?

I inherited this from my dad. It's a sporterized 1903 A3 Springfield. Currently it has a 4X JC Higgins scope. Bonus points to those that know what major retailer sold JC Higgins brand name stuff. Anyway, I'd like to put a better scope on it. I'd like to spend in the hundred dollar range. I know that's cheap for a scope, but I'm hoping there is something in that range that's worth buying. Any recco's?

Yes, the cheek rest is on the wrong side. My dad was a forced conversion lefty.

100_4294.jpg

I inherited this from my dad. It's a sporterized 1903 A3 Springfield. Currently it has a 4X JC Higgins scope. Bonus points to those that know what major retailer sold JC Higgins brand name stuff. Anyway, I'd like to put a better scope on it. I'd like to spend in the hundred dollar range. I know that's cheap for a scope, but I'm hoping there is something in that range that's worth buying. Any recco's?

Yes, the cheek rest is on the wrong side. My dad was a forced conversion lefty.

100_4294.jpg

A used bushnell trophy scope can be had for about a hundred ,depending on size , found one at a pawn shop a couple years ago didn't look used at all . Bought it with the rifle it came on witch was a 270 savage for 150.oo , the scope was worth more than the gun , I can see if my brother is still using it .

I do belive it was Montgomery Ward that sold them .My uncles all had sporterized springfields it was the budget way to go back in the day

Close, it was Sears. My dad paid $17 for the rifle from the defense dept.

Last edited:
So saturday morning I went to Sportsman Warehouse to get the wife a better sleeping bag and walked out with this (and the sleeping bag, I remembered it)

9eb7b8a9.jpg

Close, it was Sears. My dad paid $17 for the rifle from the defense dept.

I remember the local Woolworth store having a couple of barrels full of Mausers and Springfileds when I was kid. The Mausers sold for 25 bucks and the Springfileds 35. They were all WWII surplus....wish I would have bought them all now.

In the day the springfields were the budget way to go My Uncle was a machinest and sporterized a bunch of them, and a nice stock was fairly cheap

The P-17 Enfields were the same way. Kind of a clunky looking action but really strong. I have a custom 300 Weatherby I built on a P-17. A little machine work a custom barre, trigger,l and stock and you get a tack driving magnum.:D

Back