• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gun Gurus, need help

etaniyani

NAXJA Forum User
hey everyone, im looking for a shotgun to purchase for fun, as well as home protection. not that im in a bad neighborhood or anything but just in case.

Im looking at the mossberg 500 tactical #50420. so far the lowest price ive found was $383 plus shipping but they dont have it in stock, guessing like 4 weeks etc.

Anyone know of any local gun shops or any of you guys that have an ffl license to sell guns can hook me up?

I know theres the gun show coming up on march 7th i can check there as well.

Thanks for the help.

the mossberg 500 is a good shotty.

good luck getting one.

383 isnt a bad price. have you called any gun shops in your area? google maps would probably be a good idea...

ya called a few, none at $383 though. it would come out to $400 with their shipping, they aren't local.

i'm hoping one of you guys know a guy who knows a guy lool.

i suggest the remington 870 pump - get the long barrel tho so u can use it for skeet shooting also. a 20 gage would be ideal if u have a female who wants to learn, or younger males. an automatic has less recoil, but i've never had any probs w/ my 870

i checked the local big 5, they didn't have and they said they cant special order. Im going to check to see if there are any other big fives with what im looking for.

the people on gunbroker are also at ~$380 but they want $40 shipping.

I saw the remington, but i like the mossberg more. I'm going to use it for skeets as well but i like the short barrels, i'll just manage for the occasional skeet shooting days.

ahhh just boobietrap your house with c4 and buy a m203 for fun...:roflmao:
i know a dealer for both, now its not cheap but you'll get to meet an interesting set of people upon purchase:laugh::explosion

Check the Big 5's. I bought my 500 from them 3-4 years ago for $220. Then bought a pistol grip set for it for $30-40 from a catalog.

try turners outdoorsman there's one in SB & one in riverside - these r knowlegeable peeps, and will help u get what u want. jerry berman in sb is another good one to yak at

i checked the local big 5, they didn't have and they said they cant special order. Im going to check to see if there are any other big fives with what im looking for.

the people on gunbroker are also at ~$380 but they want $40 shipping.

I saw the remington, but i like the mossberg more. I'm going to use it for skeets as well but i like the short barrels, i'll just manage for the occasional skeet shooting days.

Keep watching the Big 5 ads for teh combo that includes the 28 and 18.5" barrels and then add the pistol grip stock i posted a link too. You will love it, I promise. Then when you go to shoot skeet you can drop the longer barrel in and/or also the orignal stock if you like. best of both worlds in one gun.

Keep watching the Big 5 ads for teh combo that includes the 28 and 18.5" barrels and then add the pistol grip stock i posted a link too. You will love it, I promise. Then when you go to shoot skeet you can drop the longer barrel in and/or also the orignal stock if you like. best of both worlds in one gun.

Yup that's the combo I bought, I absolutely love the gun, and the flexibility of the two barrels is great - short for apartment defense, long for skeet. A friend of mine got the 500 Tactical with only the short barrel and he can't hit anything when skeet shooting unless he gets it right after the clay leaves the launcher.

I like that stock, though, too bad it would look out of place with my Mossy's wood/blued finish.

Here is mine. This was the Big5 2 barrel combo, added the Knoxx stock, rubber finger grip and that is the 18.5" barrel.

DSCN5561.jpg

consider the 590 also. It's the military version of the 500, and it's beefier. I pretty much stick to my EBR's, but will eventually pick up a Mossberg, after comparing the 500 to the 590, I'm going with the 590. Like my buddy says, the 500 can be used as a shotgun and then a club, while the 590 can be used as a shotgun, then a club and then a shotgun again. Check http://www.calguns.net forums, it's very active and you'll see mossbergs popup there. You could post a WTB and probably find a used one.

thanks guys, i did look at the 590, big 5 has that one too, compared both of them side by side. I obviously like them both, but i'm looking to get out fairly on the cheap side so buying the $100 knoxx adjustable stock is not really my thing.

daedalus454, does the 1 1/2" barrel difference between the 590 and the 500 tactical really make that big of a difference for skeet shooting?

as far as i know, the 500 tactical does not allow the barrels to be changed, does the 590?

i have the 500 tactical on hold right now at big 5 so i think im going with that. thanks everyone for the advice, we'll go skeet shooting soon and hopefully hit em with the tactical barrel hhahaa.

daedalus454, does the 1 1/2" barrel difference between the 590 and the 500 tactical really make that big of a difference for skeet shooting?

I don't know about that, I was comparing my 28" choked interchangeable barrel with my buddy's 18.5" 590. I can't hit much of anything either when I swap out my 18.5" barrel. I'm just saying that an 18.5" non-choked barrel has a really wide spread and it can be hard to concentrate enough pellets in a single area that far away. If you can get the 2-barrel combo I would highly recommend it. It might not look as "cool" as a tactical but IMO it will be a much more practical gun. In any case the Mossberg 500 in any variant is a fine shotgun that I'm sure will give you much enjoyment.

EDIT: A quick check of Mossberg's web site indicates that you should be able to change out the barrels on any Mossberg 500 with the standard 5-shot magazine. As long as the shotgun you're getting (ie if it's this one: http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/50420.jpg) doesn't have the 8-shot extended magazine you should be able to buy a longer barrel in the future if you wanted.

(Why would you hit someone with a shotgun like a club? Just shoot 'em if you feel threatened enough to have a shotgun out. If I let a dangerous perp get close enough to hit with a shotgun I would expect to lose in short order - I have a shotgun because I'm lousy at CQC.)

Last edited:
(Why would you hit someone with a shotgun like a club? Just shoot 'em if you feel threatened enough to have a shotgun out. If I let a dangerous perp get close enough to hit with a shotgun I would expect to lose in short order - I have a shotgun because I'm lousy at CQC.)

I guess it's for when you run out of ammo. As for my buddy, he'd just drop it and grab another gun. I was over at his house for the first time and he was pulling DE50's out of seat cushions and stuff. :) He's hugely involved at calguns.net and is one of the first guys to put me onto the OLL stuff.

Back