• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Great atricle about oil drilling

What really pisses me off is no matter how much or how little oil there is, it will drop the price substantially, It's nothing more than a stand off and certain people don't want to here "We told you so"

My question is this: Oil companies keep referring to the price of crude oil as the reason for high gas prices (They just posted RECORD profits for the second quater but that's a whole other thread). If crude oil prices have that big of an effect then how come quarts of oil have not gone up 300% in the last 2 years. It all comes form the same place.

Brady, even you can't argue with this article....

:D

Add nuclear power plants to this, and you've got yourself a great solution!

Takes more to refine oil into gas than oil into oil. I'd imagine it has to do with how much actual petroleum is in oil today....?

JNickel101 said:
Takes more to refine oil into gas than oil into oil. I'd imagine it has to do with how much actual petroleum is in oil today....?

I understand that but every time oil companies are asked about the price of gas they defer to the market price of crude oil. They never mention refining.

kdailey4315 said:
My question is this: Oil companies keep referring to the price of crude oil as the reason for high gas prices (They just posted RECORD profits for the second quarter but that's a whole other thread). If crude oil prices have that big of an effect then how come quarts of oil have not gone up 300% in the last 2 years. It all comes form the same place.

First of all oil prices have gone up substantially, but a lot has to do with the capacity of our refineries, we need more refiners bad, we can make more than enough motor oil, but we have not had a new refinerie come on-line for something like 20 years.

JNickel101 said:

Don't even get me started about nuclear power. I read once that if the US builds 100 nuclear power plants it will be enough to power the country for ever.

kdailey4315 said:
Don't even get me started about nuclear power. I read once that if the US builds 100 nuclear power plants it will be enough to power the country for ever.

Its been something like 34 years since a nuke plant (or a refinery for that matter) has been built in this country....

ehall said:
Oil falls into different grades, each of which are priced differently on the commodities exchanges

Yeah, but even the difference in price between light sweet crude, and sour Iraq oil isn't THAT much...maybe $15 a barrel?

Profit is a %.

I read that there is no new refineries because of this countries "Not in my backyard" mentality. I don't know If I necessarily believe that, but people do feel that way.

Here's what happens when a new refinery tries to get built:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2025846/posts

Read what Ed Cable says.

Exactly what you said FordGuy - "not in my backyard, go build it somewhere else..."

Same with nuke plants. Also, the EPA makes it damn expensive as hell to actually construct these facilities, because of all of the protection measures that must go into place. Over $10 billion just to build this one refinery.

JNickel101 said:
Here's what happens when a new refinery tries to get built:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2025846/posts

Read what Ed Cable says.

Exactly what you said FordGuy - "not in my backyard, go build it somewhere else..."

Same with nuke plants. Also, the EPA makes it damn expensive as hell to actually construct these facilities, because of all of the protection measures that must go into place. Over $10 billion just to build this one refinery.

Good article, We really needs to stop with the selfness and look to the future.

Good article. If pipelines and the such destroy the land and Earth, Canada should be a waste land. Canada is actually our biggest supplier of imported oil. The caribou population in Alaska has also increased since the construction of the Alaska Pipeline. The Gulf of Mexico is also loaded with oil and if we as Americans don't go get it China will. China has set the stage with Cuba to have a port there so they can come half way around the world to get the oil, bring it back to China, refine it, and sell it America. I dare someone to say that China could and would do a more environmentally safe extraction and refinement of oil than the United States would. Basically if we don't get it China will make a bigger mess of OUR environment.

BTW i got my lift kit and swampers for my SMARTCAR. see you on the trails.

JNickel101 said:

Yes I can arguing against this 'article'. It's easy, because it's not an actual article, it's an opinion-editorial. There are no substantiating facts, no references, just plain old 'conservative' propaganda.

JNickel101 said:
Its been something like 34 years since a nuke plant (or a refinery for that matter) has been built in this country....

There was a new Nuke plant built outside Moscow, Ohio and opened about 10-12 years ago. Look it up!
They got all the permits, started construction, the enviro-wacks got fired up, the S**T hit the fan, the plant was delayed, delayed again, stopped started, (folded, spindled, and mutilated)
They completed the reactor, fueled it(as I understand, anyway, 'been a while. I could be mistaken) then mothballed it in place without ever firing it. 'Converted the plant to coal and opened it something like a decade later.

Back