• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GPS Howto

casm

NAXJA Forum User
I took the plunge and bought my first GPS unit a couple of weeks ago. It's a Garmin eTrex Legend, and so far I'm pretty happy with it. The last few days have been spent playing with it and getting used to how it works.

Here's the problem: I understand mostly how to operate it, but not as well as I'd like. Can anyone recommend a good site with a howto on practical use of GPS receivers? The main thing I'd like to accomplish is using it as a form of sat-nav to get me in and out of places I'd like to visit - trails and geocaching spring immediately to mind.

Also, software recommendations would be appreciated. I've tried ExpertGPS, but would be interested in any recommendations anyone else may have.

I just bought the same unit, which I have been using for geocaching. If you go to their website. www.geocaching.com, they give all kinds of info on how to use it. They also have a user forum so you can ask for help. It is amazing the places you can find going cache hunting. It is a good family activity. Hope this helps

rightseatsis said:
I just bought the same unit, which I have been using for geocaching. If you go to their website. www.geocaching.com, they give all kinds of info on how to use it. They also have a user forum so you can ask for help. It is amazing the places you can find going cache hunting. It is a good family activity. Hope this helps

Thanks, I checked them out and did find some very useful stuff. Geocaching actually was one of the reasons I go the unit: it always struck me as sort of a fun thing to do. Thanks for the pointer.

We have the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS and love it. We mainly use TopoUSA or Garmin MapSource to download maps to the GPS, I'm not sure if you can do that with your model. TopoUSA gives very detailed topographic maps that show elevation marks and are easy to read, the help a lot when you're lost in the hills!!

Back