• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got XJ stuck on test drive minor damages.. how should I handle this? + clutch problem

Re: Got XJ stuck on test drive minor damages.. how should I handle this? + clutch problem

Taking it offroad was a bad idea, you can test the 4x4 without doing that. I'd buy it for $1600 and do the right thing.

Re: Got XJ stuck on test drive minor damages.. how should I handle this? + clutch problem

x2 on the 1400 or walk away. you guys both looked at it after HE drove it off the rocks and his inexperience damaged whatever. driving it into a rocky field with tumbleweeds when it was dark wasn't the slickest move... but he threw you the keys which means he gave you approval to do what you needed to do to find out IF you wanted to buy the car. Furthermore you didn't have to come and get him and tell him anything, so you are an honest guy and have nothing to feel guilty about. This guy is probably trying to gouge you with the slave cylinder and this guy complaining about a scratched shock and dented muffler on a paint faded, likely rusted, and lifted with blocks jeep. This car wasn't a show car and he's crazy to try and get you to pay for it. I feel for your moral dilemma but he can take 1400 dollars or you find a different jeep that won't require the immediate repair. Like someone else pointed out, there can easily be more things this guy is covering up.

BTW, i wouldn't meet him at his house, meet him at neutral ground, like a local fast food restaurant or a parking lot. Don't put yourself into a situation where this guy feels too comfortable.

cklaus said:
BTW, i wouldn't meet him at his house, meet him at neutral ground, like a local fast food restaurant or a parking lot. Don't put yourself into a situation where this guy feels too comfortable.

X2 on the meeting on nuetral grounds. I had a trade go way wrong once, I also tossed the keys to a guy and his buddy for my big block 67 Camaro. The two returned with the buddy driving and steam pouring from under the hood. To make a very long story short, the guy ended up trading me and called me back a few hours later stating he wanted to trade back. Apparently the Camaro was now knocking and had metal on the dip stick, duh. I told him to get bent, he grabbed my arm and then hit himself with my hand and then fell to the ground. All this while his friends stood nearby as witnesses. Needless to say the law was involved and he later called me back and wanted me to come to his house to discuss the deal. Again, I told him to get bent, he threatened to sue, kill me and didn't want to catch me out by myself. I was lucky the trade went through from the beginning or I would have had the blown big block, but instead I was tooling around on a cafe style KZ900 with a built motor that would scream.
Anyway, never ever meet someone on their terms. Good luck

redyouch said:
when the man threw you the keys and said "have at it" that was his first mistake.

it seems like he is pretty straightforward though, so i wouldnt try to screw him. tell him you will give him $1400 for the jeep and thats it.

if he doesnt take it, walk away. you owe him nothing. $1400 is more than fair for a 18 year old cherokee in decent shape. the clutch either has a bad master cylinder or most likely a bad hydraulic line. the pre-90 cherokees can use a brake line as the clutch line.... aka its a $5 fix.

you should have unstuck it yourself btw

He gave you the keys, so that was his mistake. If it was me I'd offer 1500. If he isn't satisfied walk away. You'll find another one, with a couple hard lessons learned.

Here's my take on this (and I've edited for brevity's sake):

90Pioneer said:
Well when I drive into the tumbleweed, apparently it was concealing a large rock. I hear a bang and a scrape. So I stopped immediately and looked under the jeep...

Turns out I drove the driver side control arm onto a rock... So I jogged back to my garage and drove the owner back out to the lot in my jeep.

I explained what happened and asked him to drive it off the rock. Well, I don't know what to say about him other than he just made the situation a lot worse, and basically moved the rock against his front diff, leaving both front and rear tires without traction, after the wheel spin. In hindsight I should have driven it off the rock myself, but it's too late now.

First question: why did you drive into a tumbleweed? I live in a desert climate and have hit my fair share of them while they've been moving - but one that's stationary is equivalent to the brick under the hat that's laying on the sidewalk waiting for someone to come along and kick it.

When we arrive, little did we know, we were in for a surprise.

Dude. Given the previous night's events, how could you have not at least had some inkling?

Like I said, after we added more fluid to the clutch reservoir, it started working fine again...

Okay, I can't keep responding to this point-by-point - it's just too long-winded, even though much of it is there for a very good reason. So, in summary:

- You admitted to nailing a rock on a test drive.

- He can legitimately hold you responsible for that damage.

- Problems past that point will require him to prove that you caused them.

Now, with that in mind:

Don't buy this Jeep. Walk away, go find another one, and for God's sake don't ram it into a rock on the test drive. Tell the guy that you'll make good for the damage that you know you caused, but nothing more - and if he wants to make an issue out of it, tell him that he can take you to small claims court.

Honestly, for as much of an asshat as he sounds like, I can't entirely side with you since you damaged a vehicle that you don't own during a test drive. Yeah, he's only entitled to ask you to take care of the damages you may have caused, but it sounds like he's a slimy bugger himself and will try to hit you up for whatever he can.

First off 2 grand is ridiculous for that jeep. Before the test drive damage I'd have offered maybe 12-1400 tops. He should be thrilled to death you're still willing to pay 1400.

And by the way--an '89 Cherokee did not come from the factory with an AX15 tranny--the manual tranny for a 4.0 is Peugeot. If he told you it is an AX15, he either had a trans swap performed, is lying, or is "confused".

They did, in fact, come with Puke goat trannys. The changed to the AX-15 1/2 way through the model year.

I can't believe some of you guys are saying that this guy is not at fault and to walk away.

The point is he did take off road and get the vehicle in a sitaution that caused some sort of damage, period. I would be very aggravated about that as a seller.

Also, he knew that the owner was asking $2000, regardles of the condition. If the owner is willing to accept $1600, he should pay it.

I'm not trying to sound harsh, I'm just stating how I think it should actually be handled.

It sounds like you willing do do the right thing, which is commendable.

How does he have proof you caused any of the damage? Unless you have a written statement saying you caused it...and he tries to use his "word" saying you did so I doubt it will hold up. A verbal agreement isn't much and can't really have anything done about it. The car I had before my Jeep I bought from a kid I went to highschool with, told me he'd make the first payment cuz selling me this car he would get a bonus... He never paid it, later he got fired for the crap he was doing with other customers. I went into the dealer and complained, verbal agreement... can't do anything about it.

When I test drove my Jeep I took it off-road near the guy's house near a construction site. I didn't do anything crazy...I worked at a dealership for 1 1/2 months... everytime we test drove, the salesman is pretty much responsible for what happens on the drive. This seller doesn't have much, as far as proving you caused this damage.

I don't think it would be bad of you to pay for the damage you know you caused that is necessary for the Jeep to work correctly. I'm sure there is more things wrong like has been mentioned. I bought my Jeep and the guy said there wasn't any real problems...But guess what, my drivers side window crank knob sucks and clunks, my coolant overflow tank blew a hole a few weeks after buying the Jeep, the t-stat and waterpump needed to be replaced... I don't know where you live, but if you wait, you could definately get a better deal. Patience...especially if you don't need it RIGHT away. Unless you've had your car totaled and are driving a rental... there is no need to go out and by the first car you think is a good deal. Shop around, wait awhile... I'm going to go look at a 98' Cherokee for $500 with a bad ABS pump and needs new injectors... depending on the miles and condition my fiance just told me we could get it :yelclap:

So...it's all up to you. You can take anyone's advice however you want to. If you feel bad and think that paying for the damage will help you feel better, do it. Don't feel obligated to buy the Jeep because of some minimal damage you caused.

I guess the lesson here is if you are selling a vehicle, dont hand the keys to a perfect stranger and let them take it on a test drive without you. I have done that though, but Im very particular about who I let test drive, no kids, no low lifes, no very old people.
As for whos at fault, both the seller and buyer used bad judgement, they are both responsible to some extent. Legally speaking, I would say the person who did the damage is responsible to have it fixed, thats the way it would be if I was test driving a new vehicle and damaged it.
In this case, I honestly dont know what the answer is, its just a comedy of errors.
I know that if I was selling a vehicle and some yahoo drove it through a field without my permission, I would be very unhappy and if he broke something, I would be all over his stupid a$$ until he fixed it or bought the vehicle.

IN test driving a older rig one of my standbys is to not do it at NIGHT!! Heck I will not even go look at rigs after dark.

I would tell the guy that we both got under the rig the first night and he agreed that there was no damage. You can't be responsible for anything that may have happened after that. IF you want the rig offer him $1500 with the cash in hand. If you don't want the rig tell him to get bent becouse you both agreeded there was no damage.

heyjpark1 said:
They did, in fact, come with Puke goat trannys. The changed to the AX-15 1/2 way through the model year.
This is true, it could have either one.

Some of you aren't thinking this through. He has already admitted some responsibility and wants to do the right thing. That means that he buys it at the agreed price or he pays to fix it. I agree that the clutch was not damaged by the off road trip and we all know the guy is not going to have anything under XJ fixed. He's looking for cash to put in his pocket.

Since the seller came to his house and knows where he lives, taking care of this the right way can save him a trip to small claims court or an unpleasant surprise one morning if the guy decides a little revenge is in order. I may have been guilty of something like that myself in my younger days, but I can' remember for sure....

tell him the orginal $1400 since it is broke and you'll need to fix it :D haha j/k

I agree with what most are saying here: you're being nice and honest about offering to take care of the shock and muffler, but beyond that he can go blow.

Blaine B. said:

In other words, the dude who grabbed his arm didn't realize who he was fighting. kcsterling then punched the guy out after the guy tried to hurt him.

As far as the situation goes, as mentioned pay for the damages that you caused, I have a hard time believeing the clutch issue is because of you. Actually, he might have "broke it" by him rocking the jeep back and forth. It might have put a bit too much stress on it.

If he wants to be a dick, tell him you'll see him in small claims court.

Sorry I didnt post an update last night. Owner called me after picking the jeep up from the shop. He told me nothing was wrong with it, it was just low on clutch fluid.

So I called the mechanic myself who looked at the transmission, and verified it was a leaky slave cylinder, which had been leaking for quite some time. Mechanic said it would cost about $500 to fix the slave. The mechanic also verified it had nothing to do with the adventure on the rock. The original owner did not tell me the slave cylinder was bad.

I called him back and confronted him about the slave cylinder. His response was that now the seal covering the splines on the front drive shaft is also damaged, and will need to be replaced. I told him my offer for $1400 still stands. He said he would call me back later.

So he calls back several hours later and says he wants $1500 for it. Then he also says there is now something wrong with the rear drive shaft, how it is now wobbly or some such. He doesnt know exactly what is wrong, but he says there is something. He did verify the vehcile drove just fine, and there were no vibrations of any kind. If there are problems with the rear drive shaft I do not want the jeep anymore.

So every time I talk with this guy somehow there is more BS that is wrong with the jeep, supposedly all caused by me.

Here's what I'm willing to do:

I will buy him another shock, a new muffler, and a new front drive shaft seal. All of this should be about $100. I will pay for the parts only. If he doesnt accept that, then too bad for him. Does that sound pretty fair?

Last edited:
Back