• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got rearended

green95xj

NAXJA Forum User
Today I got rearended by a Honda accord. It only hit my tow hitch which is a u haul universal hitch. It hangs down about 3-4 inches below my rear bumper. The unibody where the hitch bolts to is pushed up in the front. This made my shackles hot the rear of there boxes. Any ideas on how to fix this. It's not terrible probably only pushed up 1.5 inches. I have HD offroading shackle relocation brackets to install. I also have a gas skid to install. Any ideas on how to make this work would be much apreciated. Thanks

chain the hitch to a tree and see if you can simply pull it back out.

Your situation sounds very similar to mine. I got hit in the hitch. I never noticed any damage until the adjuster showed me where the uniframe had buckled slightly, no body damage whatsoever.
They had to put it on a frame straightener and pull it out that way. The offenders insurance company came up with $1100 worth of damage. I was quite surprised.

Last edited:
I was hit at fairly slow speed by a 350z on the right side of the hitch. It wrinkled the unibody at the end of the hitch. The insurance totalled it without barely a glance.
The way they look at is unibody damage = fatality, the damage exceeds the value of the vehicle..

a5dddw.jpg

20itl4i.jpg

Buy it back, bang it out and plate it up. sorta easy cheesy.
Our plan was to drive off of something and land on that corner a few times.
that never happened, i parted it out instead and made a fair amount of change to put in the new heep that I bought with the check.

Looks really familiar. Check RCMan's build thread in Advanced Fab.

I forget how much he bought his back for, but it was a pretty darn good price. They paid him for it, too.

Also - don't accept the first offer, bargain with them, it wasn't your fault you got hit and they'll be sending the bill to the other guy's insurance company anyway. Accept no less than what it will take to replace your XJ with another one exactly like it.

Back