• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got rear ended in wifey's Jeep.

ghettocruiser

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all. Just wanted to check out my options and get some feelers out. My wife and I got rear ended in her Jeep last weekend. Its drivable, and the other guy has insurance...so its going to get fixed most likely. However, always wanting to keep myself covered, I figured I would see if any of you had some parts in her color.

Im not sure the actual color, but its the lighter green metallic. Same color as Lee's Jeep actually. Things I be interested in would be a lift gate, bumper, bumper cap, and possibly a flare. Not that I expect anyone to have these parts just laying around in the color that I need...but it never hurts to ask. I sure wish that shorty and daves Jeep yard was still around...haha.

Here's a pic of the damage. Its still going to need metal work. Whether it can be pulled, or the quarter needs to be replaced... Its got a nice buckle to it, but nothign is really crimped too bad. Both the lift gate and the back door open and close normally. Door jamb is fine. Gate jamb seems ok.

178995_495856287346_512377346_5764705_1784263_n.jpg

If you have anything, give me a shout. If not...no biggie.

J.

Re: Got rear ended in wifey's Jeep. Checking on some parts...

Bah..nevermind. Things moved quicker than I thought they would. Jeep will be in the shop as of 3 today. Other guys insurance couldnt get ahold of him...big surprise. So they just pushed it along. Hopefully it comes back looking good. Sorry for the premature thread..

This can just be a "hey look my wife's jeep got hit" thread now haha.

J.

Hope the floor and frame rail didn't get boogered up, that doesn't look good.

The floor seemed ok. What I could see anyway. Inner wheel well looked ok. He tried to swerve, so he ended up tagging us right on the corner. It looks like it pushed on the edge of the quarter panel and caused it to crinkle. Its at the shop now. Guy mentioned he was afraid it would be totalled due to its age.

Which would really suck. She JUST paid it off. We are about to make an offer on our first house, and really don't have room, or desire, for another car payment, especially due to someone else being a moron. Just really makes me angry. We won't get enough from the payoff to get another decent car imo. And I don't want another 2000-01 XJ because we got lucky with hers not having the infamous cracked head issue. Don't want to go through that again....

Ugh, sorry...vented I guess. Trying not to wish horrible things on the guy that hit us....

J.

I know of a certain big white 97 XJ you could model it after...

Yeah, that sucks pretty bad. What I would do honestly is bargain your best for a buyback if they total it, then keep your eye out for a clean rust free xj on CL with a junk drivetrain and combine the two into one running jeep.

If they total it, Ill likely buy it back. If nothing else with hopes that I could part it out and make a little more than the buy back price.

The problem with taking on a project like combining two jeeps is, I dont have a place to do it, nor the time, nor does my wife have another car to drive in the mean time. Its just horrible timing for something like that.

I really hope they just fix it. We got hit by a new honda suv so I was hoping all that plastic on the front of those things softened the blow haha. We'll find out today I guess. This just sucks either way.

J.

It sucks to hear this Justin. It doesn't look that bad though, I doubt they will total it. You never know though, these stupid Jeeps aren't worth much anymore. Where did you take the Jeep to be fixed? C-ville or down near you?

So are you DD'ing the white one now??:D

Its at a shop in KOP. Statefarm certified or whatever. Since the other guy's insurance is footing the bill, just decided to take it to one of their shops. Place seems good and the guys were all cool when we talked to them. He said they arent in the business to total cars, and that he'd see what he could do.

And yeah..they arent worth much. Im actually REALLY happy I got what I got for my 2001. But even if they give us that much...its not going to get her anything real decent to drive. They'll have to give us over what its worth basically for it not to royally screw us up. I hate that guy...

Haha...the white one is out of storage and at my folks. It would need major work for me to DD it as far as I have to drive. Not to mention, the gas bill would probably be more than a car payment haha. Ide love to have a shorter drive, give Amy the Jetta, and start DD'ing it again though...I miss that thing.

J.

Hahaha. Yeah really. Worst part is, we were on our way to look at a house, that we ended up hating haha. So we didnt even need to be on that road at that time. Funny how things work out.

Still havent heard from the garage. Yesterday he was waiting for a lift to check out the chassis and all. I really dont think (read: I really f'in hope) that the chassis isnt tweaked.

J.

Well since the other guys insurance is footing the bill, we just want it fixed. Cant take on another car payment right now, and I dont know what we'd get for the check that they would end up cutting us..

However...good news. Just got a call from the body shop. Everyone there is really cool. Guy said that due to how nice Amy's Jeep is, he had the appraisal for the Jeep bumped up pretty high. The estimate for the damages is well below where it needs to be to get fixed...so they're already tearing it apart for repairs. Told me there was still room for anything extra they find. Im thinking about seeing if he'll sand and spray a small rust area on the roof that's been bothering me since he's got the paint mixed up. haha.

That is FANTASTIC news for us right now...

BTW..if a mod wants to bump this out of the classifieds that would be cool. I apologize for jumping the gun and posting it here in the first place. Ill post some pics when its finished getting fixed up too, along with some more accident pics.

J.

you lucked out. We just had one come in to our shop a couple weeks ago with the same hit and they totaled it

He had it on the frame jig and found zero issues with the "chassis" parts. Spring mounts and all important pieces were fine. It was all in the quarter skin, and the one piece of structure behind that. Slight bump in the rear floor near the side, but its not noticable, and will probably pop back down when he pulls on it.

He's not sure if they are replacing the whole quarter yet or not, but he already has the parts for everything else. Saw them sitting in a pile on the floor haha. That was fast! I guess being that close to shorty's they probably have access to that secret fenced in area behind the office with all the good parts.

Getting hit by a Honda Pilot probably saved us. All that plastic and crap on the front of it softened the blow. Had it been an F150, it might not have turned out so well haha.

J.

Hey, really sucks you have to go through all this right now!! At least the Jeep is not totaled and everyone is okay. Now I say you just might have to lift it about 4.5", haha I know that won't happen!
Good luck getting everything done!

Thanks to whoever moved the tread!

I gotta be honest... If it got totalled...it would have been REALLY hard not to buy it back and swap all of the 94's goodies into it. If nothing else, it would have netted us more money if we decided to sell it haha. Some corner guards would have fixed the ugly parts just fine!

I saw some of the work that the shop (Norcini's Autobody) has put out, and the work looks top notch for a smaller shop. They are certified to do work for statefarm, so they cant be too bad I guess. Either way, she'll be back on the road not sittin at Shorty's...which makes me and Amy happy!.

J.

Picked the Jeep up today from the shop. Overall they did a fantastic job. A couple little things that I wasnt 100% thrilled with. They left a bunch of sanding residue on the inner panel of the hatch, not a big deal. And the bumper is slightly tilted. Again, not a big deal...hardly see any that are straight to begin with. Also the 4.0 emblem is backordered apparently, so Ill have to get that when it comes in.

They did a fantastic job blending the paint, and their finish is smooth as glass. Things WERE going good...until we stopped at Enterprise to drop off her rental. Then it didnt want to idle. Ran perfect, but as soon as you'd come to a complete stop it would want to shut off. I could hear the IAC clicking when you goose the throttle...like loud. So I dug into it, end it was all gummed up and cruddy. So I just stuffed a new one in and it runs perfect again.

Here are some pics...

SAM_2248.jpg

SAM_2249.jpg

SAM_2250.jpg

SAM_2251.jpg

SAM_2252.jpg

SAM_2253.jpg

Just glad its over. I was flipping out at everyone tail gating me today... I swear jeeps have a sign that pops out while you are driving that says tailgate me please. Was just waiting for another friggin moron to ram into me.

J.

Back