• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got my new steering installed finally!

SOUTHTEXASXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just wanted to post up my new steering JCR/JKS/parts.

STEERING2.jpg

STEERING1.jpg

STEERING.jpg

DrMoab said:
That style of steering has an inherent dead spot. JCR tries to fix it by putting in some little donut spacer things but its a temp fix at best.

well its sure drives alot better and is hella safer!!!

SOUTHTEXASXJ said:
well its sure drives alot better and is hella safer!!!
Wait awhile. :D

Seriously, I wasn't knocking it. I ran the same style for a long time. Hella strong. It will develop a dead spot...and then it will not be so safe.

crazyjim said:
Just OTK style in general or what? I don't get where this is coming from...

That design of steering has an inherent design flaw that creates a "dead spot" when it tries to twist the TRE on the draglink, where it mounts to the tie rod (this in-turn, twists the tie rod on the TRE's at the knuckles) when turning. SOME of this twist can be alleviated if the TRE on the draglink is mounted on top of the tie rod (this can bring on steering binding problems when flexing), or if it is at 45* between being in the front or on top of the tie rod.

It may start out tight, but it will eventually loosen up and have that dead spot. That being said, I ran a setup like this for a long time. It was bulletproof steering, I couldn't bend/break it (after MANY encounters with rocks), but I had to live with that dead spot.

Andy in Pa. said:
That design of steering has an inherent design flaw that creates a "dead spot" when it tries to twist the TRE on the draglink, where it mounts to the tie rod (this in-turn, twists the tie rod on the TRE's at the knuckles) when turning. SOME of this twist can be alleviated if the TRE on the draglink is mounted on top of the tie rod (this can bring on steering binding problems when flexing), or if it is at 45* between being in the front or on top of the tie rod.

It may start out tight, but it will eventually loosen up and have that dead spot. That being said, I ran a setup like this for a long time. It was bulletproof steering, I couldn't bend/break it (after MANY encounters with rocks), but I had to live with that dead spot.
Yeah, what he said...exactly.

I ran this style on my last two jeeps and it is bullet proof. I never had to worry about breaking anything. The knuckle would break long before any of the steering components.

I would run it again on a jeep I didn't drive on the highway much now.

Gravesdiggerxj said:
don't worry about it... Ryan is just a whiner.... ;) smirk :)
Sure you'll get a dead spot... but it won't have anymore dead spot than that POS stock steering...
just keep your eye on things and you'll be fine.

looks good! got your trackbar and draglink parrallel and close to the same length: looks setup right to me :)

thanks !!

if u dont mind me hijacking and asking
what track bar set up is that?

Back