• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got my AR almost built...

What's your poison? Handloads?

Yessir.

These were loaded with once fired Federal cases my brother got from some cops who didn't seem to want to pick up their brass at the range. (He is range master here at one of our ranges)

Loaded with 43 Gr. of some old 3031 powder and 165 Gr Hornady BTSP bullets.

Making boom boom at Leeds Rifle Range in the Sumter National Forest...

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

X2. We have a lot of ranges out here and of course a million miles of desert but that looks to be a very well thought out and put together range.

ryan you need to goto the police range in huntington. its open to the public and its well put together. it's the only one i'll goto in this state.

Yessir.

These were loaded with once fired Federal cases my brother got from some cops who didn't seem to want to pick up their brass at the range. (He is range master here at one of our ranges)

Loaded with 43 Gr. of some old 3031 powder and 165 Gr Hornady BTSP bullets.

We've just embarked on reloading for the M1.

168Gr BTHPs with 46.5 gr of 4065 is where we're starting. The official "Match" ammo for the M1 was 172gr.

I want to try some heavier bullets.

I went to the range with a handful of different loads. What I learned is that this new gun hates hates HATES lighter bullets. I loaded up some 150 gr Hornady SST polymer tipped rounds and my groups opened up to almost three inches. Went back to the heavier 165 gr BTSP rounds...regardless of powder and the groups closed up to close to an inch. With some H320 powder at about 43 gr they will shoot under an inch.

We've just embarked on reloading for the M1.

168Gr BTHPs with 46.5 gr of 4065 is where we're starting. The official "Match" ammo for the M1 was 172gr.
Something to consider when re-loading for the M-1:

The M-1 is(was?) a first generation semi-auto. It's gas system was tuned for a specific pressure in the barrel. There were only about 5 different military loads(mainly different bullet type/design), and all of them were "tuned" to similar barrel pressures.
For hand-loads to function in the gun properly, you have a pretty narrow pressure range to play with.

happy target likes gun threads!

2011-01-07121000.jpg

bone stock RIA 1911a1 tactical @ 25yrds
185g Remmy JSWC over 4.7gn of Bullseye

Guys....

was thinking about a holographic sight for my carbine flattop upper. The upper that i posted a picture of is my 24" bull barrel with scope, so I'm set there.

My carbine upper has a detatchable "carry handle" which I'd like to replace with an eotech or something....

recommendations?

Guys....

was thinking about a holographic sight for my carbine flattop upper. The upper that i posted a picture of is my 24" bull barrel with scope, so I'm set there.

My carbine upper has a detatchable "carry handle" which I'd like to replace with an eotech or something....

recommendations?

puts on flame suit...

I have been using the Aimpoint ML2/M68 for over a decade now, and I have had next to no troubles with them. The first batch used to eat batteries pretty good, but that was back in '00 when I was first given one. Since then the battery life has been extended immensely, and I am now getting months out of a battery, not days. I think the only issue I ever had with the Aimpoint was in really foul weather in WA when I bumped my lense caps open while crawling through the scrub. The optics were fouled, but due to the nature of a reflex culminator, I was still able to fire and hit my targets (both eyes open, focus on target, bullet strikes where red dot is) The M68 shared time on my M4 with a standard ACOG TA-01 (mission dependent), and only used iron sights as backup (ARMS 2A) when needed or for qualifications when required.

I was given a Eotech to try out for a few months, and I was not a big fan of the reticule, or the function at all. In retrospect, I think it was too much of a departure from what I was used to, but was a fine optic nonetheless.

I liked the Aimpoint so much, one now rides on my gas-gun.

2011-03-18094224.jpg

2011-03-18094103.jpg

edit: reguardless to which you decide on, make sure you keep an eye on SWFA's Sample List.

Last edited:
Aimpoint, FTW

Aimpoint or EOTech and you can't go wrong. EO is nice for the large MOA circle around the center dot for close range...but it's also got the square sight picture. I tend to put my Aimpoint dot in the center of the pic because the objective is round.

Something to consider when re-loading for the M-1:

The M-1 is(was?) a first generation semi-auto. It's gas system was tuned for a specific pressure in the barrel. There were only about 5 different military loads(mainly different bullet type/design), and all of them were "tuned" to similar barrel pressures.
For hand-loads to function in the gun properly, you have a pretty narrow pressure range to play with.

Don't worry, we're well within the maximum loads, and this is a copy of the load my uncle has been shooting in his Garands and M14 for years. My uncle was on the national match team in the army back in the day. He takes it serious. If we have problems we'll just put the schuster gas plugs in them and have adjustable gas systems.

A good note is that we made it to the range and the handloads function well. Better accuracy at 100 yrds than the HXP mil surp. They shot about 2 or 3" higher than the milsurp, so we're probably going to take a half a grain or so out and get them to mesh ballistically with the HXP. That way we don't have to continually reset elevation knobs if we switch between handloads and milsurp. Shot about a 3" group with the Garand's peep sight.

Don't worry, we're well within the maximum loads, and this is a copy of the load my uncle has been shooting in his Garands and M14 for years.

Must have been one hell of a op-rod spring to shove that round into the chamber of an M14! ;)

Doesn't an adjustable gas plug bump you out of class in the NRA and disqualify you from CMP matches?

Back