• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

google search better than NAXJA search

i kind of noticed that too. i just hate how sometimes the title of a thread in OEM or Mod Tech has nothing to do with the topic at hand (i.e titles like 'HELP ME' or 'I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO'). that just makes it more difficult to find potentially helpful threads when using the SEARCH. there are understandably too many unwanted search results if you don't limit it to "Titles Only"

For some reason the search function on this forum does not seem to work quite as well as most of the forums that I'm on. I wonder if it has something to do with the settings?

For some reason the search function on this forum does not seem to work quite as well as most of the forums that I'm on. I wonder if it has something to do with the settings?

you guys need to keep in mind the vast size of the NAXJA post database.

at the time im posting this, this forum as 199,889 threads, with over 2.12 million posts. thats alot of data to crunch through.

as mentioned above though it also has alot to do with people not titling thier threads in a way that would make it easy to search, but not much we can do about that.

have you read through Billy's guide to searching? it will help immensely.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349

i also prefer the google method unless i know who it was that wrote the post im looking for, but im a google fanatic :gee:

It's a fair bit smaller than some of the forums I'm on.

i've noticed that I have better luck using google to search for xj tech than finding them using the search here in NAXJA, whats up?
Oh really?? Hmm must be the millions of dollars they spend in their annual budget. I notice your name is still black? If you want a better service, help support that service.
i kind of noticed that too. i just hate how sometimes the title of a thread in OEM or Mod Tech has nothing to do with the topic at hand (i.e titles like 'HELP ME' or 'I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO'). that just makes it more difficult to find potentially helpful threads when using the SEARCH. there are understandably too many unwanted search results if you don't limit it to "Titles Only"
Hmm, and you.....we should not blame NAXJA that the threads are clogged with titles like "Help" "I don't know what to do." Naxja should be blaming us.

Also, Google does all sorts of wacky contextual stuff and whatnot - they are in the business of finding things.

I'm pretty sure the NAXJA search is just the vanilla standard vBulletin search - pretty much all it does with your query (note the form matches the database schema very closely) is patch together an SQL query and throw it at the database daemon, then format and output the results.

If NAXJA wasn't filled with the inmature babies that it is and they would have controlled themselfs when NAXJA introduced the "Tag" feature it would have helped more than anything.

I'm on several Vb forums that use this feature and it's great. The jerk-off kids in the back of the class had to ruin that for us though.

Well of course, Google is going to be better at searching. The Google search algorithm is literally part of the best in the world. That is what they do, index and search. Now NAXJA is a community and a good one I might ad. They are going to put more emphasis on the community, the forum, etc.

Now ehall had a great point use google, the best searching people, to search NAXJA, the best Jeep XJ people. You do this by putting site:naxja.org in your google search. You will find so much more that way guaranteed. Google has a service called googlebot that crawls throughout the entire internet slowly, yes the entire world wide web, and indexes it for its searching. So you can find anything on NAXJA through google you just have to use google right. Example:

Google search : site:naxja.org google search better

The very first thing listed is this thread. I wouldn't go to my mechanic for dental work, just like I wouldn't expect NAXJA to be my best search client either.

Just my two cents.

Back