• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good luck with 2001's??

scoobyxj said:
mine is a 00 my T/C lever rattles a little, the pass. side window swich is tempermential, likes to lope a little when i first start it gose away after about 10 seconds [im not a crank and go driver so it dosnt bother me],and the driver side speaker is possesed. havent had any trouble out of the roters yet with 60k on her.

Man. I wish this topic hadn't come up. I guess I've had more problems than I remembered!!

My T/C was leaking from the rear seal right from the get-go (had the dealer
fix at around 3300 miles/1 month). Mine has a bit of a lumpy idle after a
cold start as well. Thankfully, I'm generally easy on brakes... and at 54k
mine are still stock pads all around, and no warp. No speaker problems...
but my stock speakers were replaced when she was essentially new - I
wonder if it's the speakers themselves that are the problem, rather than
wiring? My front diff is leaking a bit around the pinion, but I blame that
on the dealer overfilling it when I had the fluids changed back at 35k.
(After 20k of driving with the slow drip, the fluid STILL isn't down to the
"1/2-inch below the hole" that's recommended.)

Den

5557PICT0181-med.JPG

5557PICT01981-med.JPG

DenLip said:
Mine has a bit of a lumpy idle after a
cold start as well.

Den

There are several TSBs on the lumpy idle after start. two are for computer reprogram, and one insulates a fuel injector.

My bad idle after start apears to be getting worse and I am starting to notice some back firing.

-Chris

Talyn said:
Do you have the stock air box? My 2000 seemed like a dog compared to my 1991. Replaced teh Airbox with a 6x9 K&N and Rusty's airtube and it doesn't seem like a dog anymore.

-Chris
yeah...a fipk kit is in order, and i will definately use the extra ooomph! i would like to do more to it, but i am currently restoring my 73 super jeep and i am finding it real hard to get NOS parts (amc or jeep) for it, and when i do they cost the arm and a leg...so xj will have to wait a year. thanks for the heads up though.
nim

I've had my '01 for 4 months or so now. I also had the driver's door speaker out when I got it. It wound up being a bad wire from the connector just behind the trim on the left of drivers side foot well. Ran another wire and we've got reliable sound. I've for 74k on it now. Just replaced the stock shocks with an old set of RS9000's with very good results. My driver's side heated seat is out. After persuing it some, I think it is the element in the seat. Stealership wants $700 for new leather seat cover...no thanks. My butt isn't that cold yet. I actually think I may still have the original tires... and they are well worn. I whipped out the full size spare to replace what I thought was a slow leak, and it matched the other 4 tires?? Is it possible to get 70k out of stock tires?? They'll be replaced soon. My windows seem to be working fine for now. I've got a funny clunk, feels like tranny or U-joint, but it isn't consistent. Sometimes it kinda "thunks" when stopping, and sometimes it "thunks" when taking off. We seem to have plenty of pick up. I'm satisfied with the get up an go. I did replace the stock headlights with IPF units and have been very impressed, right up until I put Xenon HIDs in our Audi. THAT is Bright! But my fogs are just about useless now, which I guess is good.
Oh well, so far we're good with our '01 Limited. Hopefully tires in the next 4-6 months followed closely by a lift.
HTH

ChuckstrPT said:
My driver's side heated seat is out. After persuing it some, I think it is the element in the seat. Stealership wants $700 for new leather seat cover...no thanks. My butt isn't that cold yet.

If teh light on the button blinks, it is most likely teh element. If there is no light at all, it is probably with teh switch.. both High and Low modes don't work?

ChuckstrPT said:
I've got a funny clunk, feels like tranny or U-joint, but it isn't consistent. Sometimes it kinda "thunks" when stopping, and sometimes it "thunks" when taking off.

That clunk is most likely the Slip yoke on teh back of the transfer case binding. Easy to fix... take it off, grease it and the splined shaft up and put it back on.

-Chris

Talyn said:
If teh light on the button blinks, it is most likely teh element. If there is no light at all, it is probably with teh switch.. both High and Low modes don't work?

That clunk is most likely the Slip yoke on teh back of the transfer case binding. Easy to fix... take it off, grease it and the splined shaft up and put it back on.

-Chris
The lights blinking. I can't quote the FSM, but I think it was the element that's out. Neither mode will work on the drivers seat heater.
I've not heard of the slip yoke binding issue. That sounds interesting. What causes this? :huh:

ChuckstrPT said:
I've not heard of the slip yoke binding issue. That sounds interesting. What causes this? :huh:

Lack of lube. I have heard it happen few times. Usually a decent thud from the rear on braking or take off. Getts worse, and gets really annoying. I have the same problem with my rear driveshaft. I have a SYE, soe teh slip joint thingy (what the heck is teh name of that on a driveshaft?) has been moved to the shaft.

Talyn said:
Lack of lube. I have heard it happen few times. Usually a decent thud from the rear on braking or take off. Getts worse, and gets really annoying. I have the same problem with my rear driveshaft. I have a SYE, soe teh slip joint thingy (what the heck is teh name of that on a driveshaft?) has been moved to the shaft.
So do I have to drop the driveshaft for this? or is there a nice little grease nipple under that rubber boot that looks like it is hose clamped on there??
Thanks!

A problem I have with my 2001 XJ is the low hanging cat converter. It hangs a good half-inch BELOW the XC crossmember.
When I do the exhaust, the converter will be replaced with a lower profile one. For now, I'm making a skid plate to cover it.
Dumb design

Back