• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

good coil springs for rear?

Vanimal

NAXJA Forum User
I'm converting the rear of my xj to 4 link and coils. I have a long arms and a, xj D44 with the brackets for the longarms and spring perches already welded on. It all came off a zj i got for parts.
Now the plan is to stick with my 4-4.5" of lift and 31" tires for now, and eventually bump up to 33's. I'd obviously like to get the most articulation i can out of this thing, so i'm wondering about springs. I'm planning on welding the spring perches on the body pretty much at floor level, using the zj perches. Do you guys think stock front springs would do the trick? the other option is cutting down some front zj 6" lift springs that i have a little. i'm almost thinking a softer spring like the stock xj front coils would be better for articulation. how far am i off on that assumption? i can make coil spacers if needed as well.
I have pro comp front 4" coils if it matters. I also have 2 sets of zj coils that i can mess with, both probably similar in spring rate to the pro comp springs i'm guessing. they're just too long at the moment so i'd have to trim or trade. down the road i can buy some new ones, but for now i want to try to get by with what i have.

this is primarily a trail rig that i'll drive to the trail head or flat tow on longer trips. not my daily driver but i'd like it streetable.

Probably will have to experiment since every home-brew 4-link is a little different. Trying starting with some stock XJ front springs, they should be readily available for next to nothing.
It will at least give you a starting point to calculate from.
Cutting springs down will decrease the height but also increases the stiffness, the opposite of what you want for maximum articulation.

Probably will have to experiment since every home-brew 4-link is a little different. Trying starting with some stock XJ front springs, they should be readily available for next to nothing.
It will at least give you a starting point to calculate from.
Cutting springs down will decrease the height but also increases the stiffness, the opposite of what you want for maximum articulation.
i have the stock springs already, so the plan was to try that first.

I would go with some zj rear springs. That's what I am running but be prepared to have to fine tune things a bit! The solution I eventually came up with (after shock valving) was a currie anti-rock in the rear. Way too much body roll otherwise.

And coilover shocks too while you're at it.

Yes. White Rockets won't cut it. Also, as leaf springs will already get you plenty of droop, and stuff the tire into the fender, this is a fine time to remove the body. The floor should come out for a four link anyway.

Mad flex, yo.

darn, i got brand new bilstiens i was hoping to use for the time being. I'll try the stock springs first and see how she goes. interested in the currie antirock. how does it feel when trying to fully articulate?

Are you sure a 4 link rear is really worth it with 31s to maybe 33s? Make sure to read, read, and read some more to get good angles for everything so you don't get any crazy handling traits.

if you are taking a bolt-on system from a ZJ and sticking it on an XJ, you will need a stiffer spring, the XJ is lighter than the ZJ....

plus in the rear you want some stiffness to for stability. and a sway bar would be highly recommended. if you can't afford a currie unit, grab a stock ZJ one and make that work for temporary.

but if you plan on doing something custom than X2 on what darky said, read a shit ton and make sure you get good geometry

Back when I was thinking about going rear coil conversion I contacted clayton manufacturing about their rear coil conversion kit. He said that with his 6" rear coil conversion kit that it uses stock xj front coils.

Are you sure a 4 link rear is really worth it with 31s to maybe 33s? Make sure to read, read, and read some more to get good angles for everything so you don't get any crazy handling traits.
it may be overkill, but i already have it and the dana 44 is already fabbed up for it, so it would actually be almost as much work and more expensive to keep the leaf springs.

if you are taking a bolt-on system from a ZJ and sticking it on an XJ, you will need a stiffer spring, the XJ is lighter than the ZJ....

plus in the rear you want some stiffness to for stability. and a sway bar would be highly recommended. if you can't afford a currie unit, grab a stock ZJ one and make that work for temporary.

but if you plan on doing something custom than X2 on what darky said, read a shit ton and make sure you get good geometry
it's an aftermarket system, long arms and such. It's all on the zj, however i measured the frames and the difference is minimal where it matters. i was basically going to clone the control arm brackets and whatnot and put them on my xj in the exact same place as the zj had it, and putting the dana 44 in the exact spot that my 35 is currently on the xj. both uppers and lowers are adjustable on this thing so i have a little wiggle room.
i've been thinking about the sway bar, i'll probably rig something up.

Back when I was thinking about going rear coil conversion I contacted clayton manufacturing about their rear coil conversion kit. He said that with his 6" rear coil conversion kit that it uses stock xj front coils.
great info, thanks!

Back