• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good cheap 235s? Shocks?

I guess my question really was is Heavy Shockproof (I probably still have some in my box of lube) suitable for a LSD and does it or does it not require additional additive?

1" of lift for the UpCountry package. I'd keep an eye out for some 235/70/16 tires. You can get 235/75/16's, but they're not as common. What I'd do is use Summit Racing to find the tire you like (based on price, style, size, whatever.) copy the manufacturer and their part number, and then use Google shopping to find out if somebody reputable has the same tire for a better price. I do this with all my parts. Saved one guy $30 a wheel using this trick last week. Even Summit Racing has some decent 235/70/16 tires for a bit over $100 a pop...

Edit- I'd just grab some gear oil that actually has an LSD additive and save the Heavy Shockproof for an application that actually needs it.

Last edited:
Also I need to take another look at my wheels, by the build sheet this one might have 16" wheels and I honestly wasn't paying attention?

Edit: after reading the whole build sheet at looking up pictures, I do have the 16x7" "Icon" wheels.

a) stock tire size was 225/70R16; tires on it are 235/something (I honestly didn't look too close; I didn't realize that some XJs came stock with 16" wheels), what size would you run?

b) what tires? Looks like the awesome super cheap Wranglers aren't available in either 235/75 or 235/70.
You might want to go look at what is actually on your 17-year-old Jeep.

Goodyear Wranglers, from Wally World, are Worthless Off Road.
When I was Driving 7.5 Miles on Unpaved/Rocky Forestry Service Roads, to get to the Highway, to get to Town/Work, They only Lasted One Year.
Ride Great on Paved Roads, But Rubber is Way too Soft for Off Road.
And, They're only 4 Ply & I had Flats almost Every Other Week.

Highly Recommend the Geolanders. They Have 5 Plies & Are 6 Ply Rated.
Had a Set on the Rear of my 96XJ & they Lasted 3 Years on the Same Mountain Roads! Great Off Road Traction & Wear! Very Tough Tires!
Great Wet Traction on Pavement too!
The Wranglers would Hydroplane in Heavy Rain & the Yokohamas Never Did.

Another Good Tire to Consider are the Toyo Open Country AT's.
Been getting Great Reviews.

UncleSarge58

245/75r16 are a common truck tire. I'd do that for 16's. The yoko geolandar at are a great tire. I run them on my MJ. I have the 265/70R17 on JK moabs. Have had them in the past. They are a good on/off road tire.

245/75r16 are a common truck tire. I'd do that for 16's. The yoko geolandar at are a great tire. I run them on my MJ. I have the 265/70R17 on JK moabs. Have had them in the past. They are a good on/off road tire.

Thanks for that, that is a good tip. i'd already figured out that there was a much wider choice of tires available in 235/70 than 225/70 or 235/75 but apparently 245/75 has more choices yet.

You might want to go look at what is actually on your 17-year-old Jeep.

I'm assuming you're serious and not just being a jerk... I'm playing keyboard warrior because it's still at my friend's shop waiting to get the A/C fixed and also for me to get down there and swap all the unbent parts off my old one which is also there. I can't just walk outside and look at it.

OK my friend is still messing with it... his guys are doing stuff as "fill in work" so it's taking a while. Got plugs and AC under control, waiting for two shocks to come in.

Thinking of getting these as I wouldn't have to pay shipping (I didn't see the last message in time)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/29376804...d=dsn_fb_290fd1be-a654-4be9-8969-178852545353

how are those? Was originally thinking of getting the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 but shipping on those would cost more than Wal-Mart installation and if I just went to Wally World then I'd get free rotations, flat repairs etc. (yeah I can do all that stuff myself, but sometimes it's nice to just point and say "FIX")

what say you?

Have you checked prices on tires.com or discounttiredirect?
Lots of local tire places will price match. To be honest I wouldn't trust boneheads at wally world.

I'm assuming you're serious and not just being a jerk... I'm playing keyboard warrior because it's still at my friend's shop waiting to get the A/C fixed and also for me to get down there and swap all the unbent parts off my old one which is also there. I can't just walk outside and look at it.
Yes, or have your friend double check the rim size. A lot of things can get changed out over time, especially wheels.

Another Good Tire to Consider are the Toyo Open Country AT's.
Been getting Great Reviews.

UncleSarge58

Can vouch for that - I went through a couple sets of those a few years back, never had any complaints. Good on and off-road (in my case, the sweet spot for trail pressure seemed to be about 12-13psi, at which I'd hold my own against the BFG ATs and so forth).

Last set I had were 30x9.50 (about same size as 235/75, give or take half an inch). Ground the sidewalls white on the rocks and they still held air no problem.

I don't know. The ones on the Walmart web site say "Load Index 105."

Here is a lesson on tire ratings to help answer some questions:

P-metric: This indicates that the tire is a Passenger tire for it's designed application and is meant for light duty loads. You can use them on 1/2 ton trucks and under as well as SUV's. These tires will have softer sidewalls and are generally used for better ride over load carrying capacity. These tires are classified as a 4 ply. They also build XL versions of many of these, which means Xtra Load. The load index number you mentioned is a reference number that refers to the about of weight a P-metric tire can carry. The higher the number, the more weight the tire is rated to haul. Once you get to a certain point, it will move to the LT designation.

LT: This designation is for a Light Truck tire. The minimum load rating is a 6 ply on any tire that uses this prefix. You will also find 8 and 10 ply ratings in these sizes. Now you have to determine the use of the tire and weight of the vehicle to select the proper ply rating. Heavier tires tend to have stiffer sidewalls to support the loads they must carry. Remember that Jeeps are pretty light and if you install 8 or 10 ply tires, they will tend to ride a bit rougher due to the stiffer sidewall. You can add less air pressure than recommended to help but it may not be enough.

The Goodyear Wrangler Radial only is available in a P235/75R15 size and would be classified as a passenger/light SUV tire. Some other brands can be found in a LT235/75R15 6 ply such as the BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2's.
Some companies will build them both ways such as in the Toyo Open Country AT II's. You can get the P235/75R15 or LT235/75R15's in that style.

I hope maybe this helps explain some of the terms and what to look for when selecting tires for your ride.

Well, to follow up, I ended up buying the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 from Tire Rack, size P235/70R16 and also a set of four Monroe "Severe Service" (spec'd for police package) shocks, rides SO much better now. Actually going to drive it to work this week and shake it down, I just picked it up tonight. Now I need to fix all the little "getting to know you" stuff you have with any new vehicle...

What part number did you use for your shocks? I'd like to get new shocks for when I do new leaf packs and figure police package might be good if they're used for giving it a little boost. Thanks.

What part number did you use for your shocks? I'd like to get new shocks for when I do new leaf packs and figure police package might be good if they're used for giving it a little boost. Thanks.

Summit Racing seems to have them listed as the Monroe Gas Magnum shocks, 550016 and 550017.

Back