• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

#Goldnugget: The 3rd build.

Looks like the RK 3-link is going to be for sale. A new custom 3 link is going to replace it. It's just easier to package it all together with custom parts. The new upper link will be on the passenger side and likely through the floor.

The front is getting narrower. Trying to finalize tube work on the front.

received_10207651483577447_zps2h2bex3z.jpeg

All while working on getting the crawl box adapter plate machined.

received_10209346253556228_zpsnjpjx9do.jpeg

received_10209346356078791_zpsipnauyet.jpeg

fuplate_zpsd7uqjmyk.jpeg

Guess I'll just keep posting pictures. lol

Doubler is looking more like a doubler.

received_10209366446541040_zps1j7ois9u.jpeg

The D300's that I bought included a clocking ring but it wouldn't work with adapter plate so Stump drilled it to work.

received_10209366446421037_zps2wcnd70w.jpeg

FB_IMG_1460753647787_zpsylqixe1p.jpg

FB_IMG_1460753627939_zps1tonpxyu.jpg

FB_IMG_1460753643848_zpsapour4go.jpg

Will made more progress on tube. The rear is welded out. Working on the front tube. Not much else to be said... just look at pictures.

#WHSauce
received_10207670098522809_zpswivv57sf.jpeg

received_10207670098602811_zpsftwcvntb.jpeg

received_10207677544988966_zpsqaeqkx3w.jpeg

received_10207677546148995_zps1oxzdkqt.jpeg

The plate that Stump machined looks fantastic.

I like your "angry eye brow bars".

Just more pictures. Almost done with all the tube work. Then it comes back to my house in a couple weeks where the updates will slow to a crawl...

I'll be building cross members, 3 link, axles, drive shafts, fuel system, etc...

received_10207691456496745_zpsvieaffa6.jpeg

received_10207691456656749_zpst5jx8nup.jpeg

Is Will going to install the axles or were you doing them?

Is Will going to install the axles or were you doing them?

Will was going to do it but plans have changed. He's going to slap the rear axle under it and I'm going to do all the front axle, suspension and drive train stuff. He's just installing the rear axle so we can roll it.

I'm going to slap a 2wd front XJ beam under the front to get it on the trailer and get it home.

I didn't know this thread existed until earlier today... First, thanks for all the compliments!! I've really enjoyed this project I just wish I worked faster or had more time to devote to this so I could get it done. Work, school, and sleep kick my ass it feels like. I wish I had a way to roll the tubing for the b pillar gussets and the double rear tube to give it a wheel well look, but it's hard to get 70* bends on a big radius without an actual tubing roller. I love the roof and the rear roof line. Combination of a Jim's garage buggy and a few other bouncer style builds. It could use another tube going to to the bumper under the C pillar but it needs to work with the skins Andy's doing too. I'll make some and Andy can decide if he likes them or how they will be covered up. Gotta make some for the middle sections too where it's tied into the frame again. Keeping the leaf springs kinda put a damper on what you could do with the back of this thing. Got a YJ rear seat to put in and a fuel cell to mount but with the roof line at stock XJ height and the floor pan being the way it is, it doesn't fit without cutting the floor up and some more serious sheet metal work. I'm very happy with the boatsides, I wish mine had them like that but mine are already too tied in to change. Only downside will be getting in the thing when it's on 39's on a trail, they're high up there. The front tube work the only thing I would change would be the bottom fender tube. I think it should come out farther away from the body to go around the header panel back to the frame. Narrowing the front gets tricky. It's cut down like 6" on both sides I believe and reworking everything to fit with the header panel still having 5 even slots is no joke. Freerider did an awesome job, just took him 7 years lol.

I'd love to do axles on this thing, build a 3 link, and finish it out but the problem becomes how to pay me for it... I've got probably 60 hours in this thing from when it was given to me until now. I was going to keep track of my time but I knew I didn't want to see the results... Plenty of 8-10 hour days in my garage on my off days from work and then 3-5 hours a night before I went to work at midnight. We worked out a deal ahead of time for another project I had and a trade on a spare Krawler for my rig but it's time for it to go back home and get finished out by Andy. Was looking forward to finishing it and wheeling it before him. Cutting down this 05+ front axle is no joke... Passenger side is "easy" since there is no cast to deal with but there is a serious chunk of stuff to remove from the drivers side. I have probably 8+ hours in cleaning my front axle up to use. Building a new low profile 3 link, flat belly, and skid sounds fun and all but again is a lot of work. Andy has a lot to do to this thing before it's ready to ride but it's also came a long way in the time I've had it. Was over whelming at first when I was working with just the flat XJ lol.

Had a few more people message me for cage/ bumper/ fab work on FB and I welcome it all but a lot of people don't understand how much time and effort goes in to custom stuff. There has been a lot of time spent by everyone involved in this project so far, but I think everyone is glad they've done it. Makes me want to build another rig and start over but that's just more time and I wouldn't build another serious rig out of an XJ... With it being a flat floor pan it had at least 1" of sag in the frame as I set it on jackstands... Crazy how integral the body is on these things but I know the cage will help. Andy has a lot to do ahead of him so we should see it on the trail in 2018!!

I'd post pictures but Andy has posted all of the decent ones I've sent him.

ed344592b8fe1a482785f7ab8693db5f.jpg

Not much of a progress update but I'll post some pictures for people to look at. Don't laugh. It looks retarded on tiny wheels.

I drove down to Will's house and brought home all the stuff.

I get there and Will is laying out by the pool in his Speedo with his Jeep.

20160430_154540_zpscgu8tmsk.jpg

Will had the rear axle bolted under it well enough to roll it...

received_10207766257966735_zpsbhwegoiq.jpeg

Tossed a 2wd beam under it and loaded down the Towscalade.

20160430_154837_zpsulrhcpwg.jpg

It's definitely easier to load a D60 when you have a Bobcat.

20160430_154834_zpshluths9v.jpg

20160430_160700_zpsexnnsnoc.jpg

#ATLSUX
IMG_20160430_183742_zpsyjpvf4a5.jpg

Rolled some tires beside it so it didn't look quite as retarded sitting in the yard.

20160501_181246_zpsqyjhhun1.jpg

20160502_072429_zpsrwku7z9a.jpg

I've sold my 3-link and spare Dana 300 t-case. Now it's time to order a few more parts.

The list is still very long. I need to get it all written down.

#finishbeforekanyetakesoffice

Last edited:
Are you going to shoot some paint on that tube or letting it weather to a nice, rusty patina?

Back