• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going doorless and moving speakers

ATLSRT8

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I searched this topic and have seen that people are using the expensive speakers boxes in the kick panels or put in addition sound bar when taking off their doors. I read that some people have just thrown in some marine speakers to make up for the loss of the speakers in the doors. Does anyone have pics of where they have mounted the additional speakers? Or any other locations for additional speakers that dont include kick panels boxes or sound bars? Thanks in advance!

I put 4x6 speakers in the stock kick panels

4x6_kick_speakers_marked.sized.jpg

4x6_kick_speakers_installed.sized.jpg

Drivers side was a bit of trouble, passenger side was easy though

I put the door speakers in the lower kick panels but you could always move speakers to the lower plastic panel below the steering wheel where the factory tweeters went. I considered it but cutting holes in kick panels was way easier. Doesnt sound nearly as good as in door but who cares if the doors are off.

just get a sound bar.... will fit right where the front light is and you can even put the light back in did it to my 89 and a buddies 99 works great just got to adjust sound to the rear a lil unless you like it real loud

has anyone tried to put them in the spot that they are in the TJs.

like this
2323232327Ffp43287nu324335469WSNRCG323337343434nu0mrj.jpg

i know that panel doesent come off on the XJ, but im sure you could just cut a hole in it and mount the speaker like you would in the kick panel

I put the door speakers in the lower kick panels but you could always move speakers to the lower plastic panel below the steering wheel where the factory tweeters went.
I bought a couple of the junkyard lower panels to try this with and it doesn't work. There's a surprising amount of sheetmetal back there and no way to mount anything bigger than the 2.5" tweeters that were designed for it.

I put 4x6 speakers in the stock kick panels

4x6_kick_speakers_installed.sized.jpg

DAMN good idea! I haven't had use of my front speakers in over a year! Think The stock round ones (6.5" right?) would fit in there?
:cheers:

has anyone tried to put them in the spot that they are in the TJs.

i know that panel doesent come off on the XJ, but im sure you could just cut a hole in it and mount the speaker like you would in the kick panel

i did that in the dash of my 93. plenty of room for bigger speakers on the pass side. driver not so much. the speakers came out of the dash of my buddy's tj, so whatever size a stock tj dash speaker is, that's what i have in there now.

i just removed the little covers that were behind the screens and screwed them in.

At first I put them in boxes under the seats, but after a couple of times submerging them in mud they weren't working so good.

I built my own sound bar. Tools required - grinder, welder, drill, sawzall, electrical multitool. It's all one sheet of metal with wedges cut out out of the corners, scored, then bent up, then welded.

100_0107-1.jpg

Last edited:
DAMN good idea! I haven't had use of my front speakers in over a year! Think The stock round ones (6.5" right?) would fit in there?
:cheers:

They should fit fine. Just make sure you keep the speaker further away from the body line as possible. It can interfere if your to close. That and theres a lit of wiring in the way on the drivers side.

well I got a set of 6x9 alpine type S's at a garage sale fo 5 bucks so I mounted them in my kick panels. I had a spare set for when I wanted bigger speakers. 6x9's fit. Its tight but it works. Man that sharpie sure is ugly good thing you cant see it from other angles.
IMG_20110430_155107.jpg

anybody try to get a 97+ rear soundbar and the molded headliner and cut into the existing headliner to mount it behind the front seats? im trying to do this now, my only problem is clearance because of the sunroof housing hanging so low and in the way.

Back