• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gnarly sounds turning over. need help ASAP

Rockhound

NAXJA Forum User
tried this on another thread but think i lost some people along the way. Jess, i thank you for all of your insight.
pulled the 4.0 out of my built '91 and put it in it's new, much lower, much more steering friendly shell. another '91. did a bunch of routine maintenance while out, freeze plugs, valve cover gasket, oil pan seal, tune up and manifold gaskets. when we got it all hooked back up i jumped in the jeep to start it. let it turn for a few seconds and then i just shut it off to see if my buddy thught it looked good. he said something just didn't sound right and for him to turn the key and me to listen. now i have never been in front of a car with dry cylinders on the verge of lockng up but i can imagine this is what it sounds like. haven't turned it since, in fact i can barely move it by hand. now i know this engine is not locked up, but i know it is starved for some oil. when bolting and unbolting the torque converter and flywheel it turned over without much thought. pulled the pan, nothing to write home about in there and it all looks good from underneath including oil pump and strainer/tube. pulled the valve cover and it was completely dry underneath. pushrod tubes looked possibly clogged so i blasted them with an air blower and then dumped a quart of ATF through them all and got everybit of it back from underneath. is it possible to get it so dry that it gets that stiff just turning it over for a few seconds? is there anything internal that could possibly hinder it from turning over with my torque wrench on it? should i finish my cleanup, pull the distributor and pump it by hand with the valve cover off to see what i get? what are the chances the distributor decided to stop working and thus is not operating the oil pump?WHAT WOULD YOU DO? i don't want to try to crank it again until i know it is getting oil. thanks
Jon

hand drill, oil pump shaft adapter.

Pull distributor, attach shaft adapter, run drill until oil comes out the top end.

then give it a whirl.

Back