• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Glorified Tack Weld.

I'm not a welder, but if you put it in a vice and beat on it with a 5lb sledge...and it doesn't break or crack, then you're prolly ok.

ktm racer 419 said:
so how do you guys check what kind of penetration you get?

I'm welding my axle brackets with a hobart 140 amp mig running .030 wire. I just crank up the heat and burn a big slow bead. They look nice, but now Im afraid my brackets will crack off after reading this.

X2

If it's structural, I never hesitate to make multiple passes and pile it on. It doesn't have to look pretty it has to hold.

I am by no means a professional welder but I did start out by taking a welding class to learn how to make sound welds. That was all stick...

I am using a Lincoln 135, .035 flux core, and I trust it to make structural welds. Obviously on the thicker stuff edge prep is important. Don't forget, as long as you get proper penetration at the root of the joint, you can do a second or third pass and you are golden...

EricsXJ said:
I am using a Lincoln 135, .035 flux core

That's the same setup I'm running. Been pretty happy with it. I just ran out of .035 flux though, and I think my current spool is .030. I'll get a bottle for it one of these days... already got all the fittings and hoses.

Well, near as I can tell this thing sucks.

I need to pick up a new tip for it, then I think I will try powering it with the DC from my stick... Which way is the polarity supposed to be for flux-core? Don't answer reverse...

xjnation said:
use the smallest diameter flux core your machine will take. will help keep the heat up on the welds also

Huh? Running too small of a wire will limit how current you can push through. Best bet is to run what the welder manual suggests. Running CO2 versus stargon mix will also limit the maximum heat. I have a 135amp setup and can get full penetration on 1/4" material with proper prep, beveling, and 2 or maybe 3 passes.

I also agree on taking a class. You'll learn the most common mistakes and most importantly that a pretty weld isn't necessarily a good weld.

I'm using a Harbor Freight 120v, and I've done structural welds on 3/16." A buddy of mine who has taken some welding classes and is close to getting certified said that for the money, it's actually not too bad. I want and need to take a class, but so far, my welds are kinda ugly and strong. My relocated rear lower shock mounts have been on for almost a year without any signs of cracking, and the same with my rock rails which I use to jack up the Jeep for tire rotations, among other things.

DirtyMJ said:
I need to pick up a new tip for it, then I think I will try powering it with the DC from my stick...

I did this. It is a little odd. It might be because I have the wrong tip (it sticks out about .125" too far) or maybe because the arc welder is ment to strike an arc... Or maybe because I'm not a very good wire feed/mig welder and I'm not used to the feed rate. But, basically it strikes a nice looking arc and burns back up to the tip and welds it nicely closed. I managed to lay down a couple beads that looked really nice, but I was having trouble with it.

It does get really decent penetration. I've only gone up to about 90A so far with .035 wire. Maybe I'll go higher and play with it.

If you have a 30amp outlet you can easily weld 1/4".

The Italian welder is probably a Clarke.

Back