• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Glasspack for more clearance.. sound like crap?

The longer they are the quieter...I just bought mine the exact length as the factory muffler, and it sounds just like my buddies flowmaster full exhaust. Nice deep rumble and its super quiet in the cab. All it is, is a thrush turbo glasspack
this is a '92 XJ

this is a glasspack with a turndown tip on my MJ...it's only loud when getting on it. Cruising on decel with foot barely on the pedal, and it's almost silent. It does pop like hell on decel when first started, until the engine warms up and the Renix goes into closed loop, though (but I kinda like that....)

Pay no attention to the state of (dis)assembly in the engine bay...this is right after I converted it to a 4.0L and pulled it out of the garage on initial fireup. It's all cleaned up now, and runs great.

Jeff

Really, I have an open mind when it comes to some things but a Glasspack on an XJ is just too loud and obnoxious, I have ran a lot of trails in my old jeep with barely any lift and 235's and never once got a dent in my muffler. Of course it could have just been luck but I think a properly routed exhaust would suffice rather than a loud annoying ass Glasspack.

Speak for yourself!! That was my first real trail damage on my Jeep!

I was ridding up a dry creek bed, it got sort of narrow, yet steep sided. So I kept going with my wheels on the sides of the creek bed. Then I lost traction on one side and it sort of fell into the creek bed. Big ole nasty rock just goes straight into my cat and rips a big hole in it. Bent up most of the piping too.

So i started over from the down pipe. Put in 2.5 piping and a super 44 knock off (Thrush welded?) with an axle dump. Sounds mean, bad drones tho.

Legally you are not allowed to run without a cat on the street. What YOU do is your choice though. And you can pick up a universal cat for 40$-ish. Glasspacks do not last very long and sound like poop. maybe pick up that dynomax cat back that has a 75$ rebate

I am the OP... since I installed my "new" (from my dad's attic bought new in the 70s) Sears muzzler muffler in December I've already got a huge crease in it.. I"m going flow master next time.. so I can weld up damage..

i run a glasspack, and while after 2 years i find myself wanting to change things up, i couldnt dissagree more about it sounding like a tractor... it sounds throaty, in a poseur kinda way.

ive been told i run a rather long one, compared to most xj's. i run the longest cherrybomb i could find. An exhaust system without a cat, with a straight thru muffler scares me, due no effective spark arrester. but i live in a desert....

x2 on the cherrybomb turbo, put one on my 88xj after i installed one on my friends 93 4runner

I have a hushpower flowmaster II. It sounds fine, a little louder than stock and a little buzzy, but really fine. Definitely quieter than a cherry bomb and much beefier than stock.

My old jeep had a big cherry bomb; very loud and buzzy.

Last edited:
I had a glass pack on my jeep for a while that i picked up from schucks or o'reilly's depending on where you live. me and a few other guys around here thought it sounded great. Loud but in a good way. i had to switch to a flow master cause a forest ranger threatened me a 400 Dollar ticket on the trail! glass packs do not have any spark arresting capabilities...
That was my first thought, glasspacks aren't trail friendly usually on account of needing a spark arrestor to wheel on USFS and I think BLM land.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was my first thought, glasspacks aren't trail friendly usually on account of needing a spark arrestor to wheel on USFS and I think BLM land.

is it safe to assume the converter does not qualify as a spark arrestor either?

I've been running a glasspack (full sized Walker unit) and a cat. since I welded it all on, but now I'm wondering if I'll need to cut and replace the muffler to pass tech.

they will pass tech..My friend runs packs on his rigs..I don't like the sound, to loud for me..

:thumbup::thumbup: I was disappointed (at first) with how little change there was once I put it on. It's not much (if at all) louder than what I started with, but the one I got had angled inlet and outlet and was the full length of the original muffler. Now, I'm glad it's not any more obnoxious-- I'm getting too old for the attention.

Ive got a 50 series flowmaster and no cat. (passed emissions too) Sounds great when you get into it, slight drone at 1200 rpm. You cant even tell its there on the freeway or back roads, only when you accelerate. Ive bashed the hell out of it and its still together. The 40 series are alot louder, had one on the old MJ And it was obnoxious, sounded great but couldnt hold a conversation in the cab. That was a very short system tho, Header,muffler and turndown right after the cab. Full length is always quieter. Wheelin buddy had a cherry bomb with full length system and it sounded like crap. They dent easier than a flowmaster too.
:facepalm:

This thread just got unlocked after people started posting about going catless.

It is illegal, against federal law, and gives you NO performance benefit. If you really want to do it, keep quiet, we do ot condone illegal or harmful activities here.

/soapbox

This thread will remain locked for at least 24 hours (locked 07MAY2010@0158) while everyone thinks about why.

FMVSS sez you have to keep the cat.
EPA Regs say you have to keep the cat.
Most state regs say you have to keep the cat.

Even if you pass Smog, it's still illegal to run without it.

Don't make me have to delete this thread entirely.

Last edited:
Back