• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting Speakers to fit?

sublime600

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

My buddy and I were trying to install his new speakers on his Cherokee however after taking the door off and speaker out realized they were not going to fit. The speakers are 6.5" components. He had 6.5 components in there already but the woofer was not as big. Mounting diameter is 5", speakers he has are 5.8" So we made some spacers, and of course the door panel did not fit back on. So what did you guys do to get speakers to fit that didnt? Kick Panel, Hack the door, Hack the door panel? Thanks Guys!

any chance you could mount them to the door panel/trim, but make a spacer that attaches around the stock hole, which would fill the gap and allow for a solid mount?
cut out the hole in the door panel for the speaker to fit, measure the gap between the panel and the metal, cut out a circle to fill that gap, and attach them all together.
voila... or not.

wolfpackjeeper said:
I bought 5.25in speakers. Return them and get the right ones, they make 5.25in component speaker sets

X2

I'm planning on doing my door speakers sometime down the road. When I did my rears I got them from Crutchfeld. Their site will actually tell you which ones fit and where. Just type in the year / make / model... it will list what fits. You can search a few different ways.

I did my sound bar and my head unit, both fit like...

Angelina_Jolie_6.jpg

Hammered said:
I'm planning on doing my door speakers sometime down the road. When I did my rears I got them from Crutchfeld. Their site will actually tell you which ones fit and where. Just type in the year / make / model... it will list what fits. You can search a few different ways.

I did my sound bar and my head unit, both fit like...

Angelina_Jolie_6.jpg

So you're saying they fit like a man's face on a woman's body?

:D

Seriously though, 6.5" speakers will fit with some minor "adjusting" to the sheetmetal on the door. I stuck 6.5's in mine with a little bit of finagling and they are super sweet...

I'll try to get some pics when my wife gets back with the Jeep...

I put polk 2 ways in mine, sound good. I am waiting for a 95 with the removable soundbar to show up at the junkyard so it can put some in one of those.

I just bought the 5.25's... Easy sounds great. I wish I could be of more help. Trim the shit out of em. :D

TheDiabetic said:
Alpine= Cheap shit. They sold out to China now they suck. Use Rockford Fosgate power series or components. Best shit I ever heard.

Thanks for the insight. I've had two Kenwoods that went south.. my Alpine so far has worked flawless and had the most out of the box clarity when connected to XJ hole-size Memphis speakers -- in other words, I was able to drop everything in behind the existing openings and OEM Jensen speaker covers.

No doubt there are other well engineered components and systems that will blow the doors off an Alpine/Memphis combo. However, I personally won't spend a lot of money on a car audio system -- it's not in my DNA.

The following quotes are from the Klipsch Heritage community -- I've always found them amusing:

Audiophile n. A person who claims to hear the inaudible.

Annoying Audiophile - A person who claims that others may be trained to hear the inaudible unless they are deaf.

If it tests good and sounds bad, you might be an audiophile.

If it tests bad and sounds good, you might be an audiophile.

;)

You could definitely cut some metal to make 6.5s work. I had the Q-forms in my other XJs. I definitely have hacked out the door panels so that 60% of the speaker wasn't blocked by them and the stupid downward aiming grills.

I think might be going with the kick panels from Qlogic. Does anyone have any experience with these? Do they get in the way at all? Also I checked about just cutting a larger hole but the window motor is right there i could only trim off a little bit then would run into risk of speaker hitting that. Thanks guys

I have always thought the kick panels would be in the way. XJ's do not have a large amount of foot room by any means, and they would just take up more.

On my trail jeep I took a sound bar from the back of a 95 and put it right behind the front seats. Works well enough.

If you have a manual tranny, the driver's side kick panel is in the way(<1" clearance for the clutch pedal). The imaging is way better with them than the door location. I have a used set collecting dust in a bin. . .

If you have them are you looking to get rid of them because ill take them.. Will they fit on a 01? I see your in MD im in NJ.

Back