• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting ready to click "order" for my first lift

IH8RDS said:
I bought the PORC SYE for $165. Front drive shaft at the pick-n-pull for $14. $179. Installed it in 3 hours. First time. I still don't know why I didn't do it sooner.
Yeah, but if you're going to go to all that trouble, you may as well reseal the transfer case and check/replace the chain. It can quickly become an expensive project, but I agree its the right way to go if you're at 4-1/2 or so. At 3", I'd try it plain, then do the drop while I saved my nickels for the SLE and do it later. I had the spacers on mine when I bought it and the transfer case did have shitty shifting from the drop. Never any problems with the exhaust though.

300$XJ said:
Mine is a 93 and I had to drop the case til I get the SYE, what year constitutes old?

I'm not sure. My jeep is an 87. I heard the 97+ models were a little more tempermental to vibes when you lift them. I'm not sure why. I've ridden in his and he has a decent amount of vibes and we are at about the same height. maybe I just got lucky :dunno:. Although I plan on an SYE, its not high on my list right now.

xtimmax said:
I'm not sure. My jeep is an 87. I heard the 97+ models were a little more tempermental to vibes when you lift them. I'm not sure why. I've ridden in his and he has a decent amount of vibes and we are at about the same height. maybe I just got lucky :dunno:. Although I plan on an SYE, its not high on my list right now.

Same here, I had some nasty vibes, that's why I had to drop the t-case some. I've heard people say they have 6" lift with no SYE and no vibes, I think it's more of a case by case thing.

Started the lift today...what a nightmare! First, it took us about three hours to get this first leaf spring off. Apparently the bolts are seized in the bushings so we ended up cutting them out with a cutoff tool. Once we got the leaf springs off I figured I'd unbolt the shock mounts. SNAP!!!. SNAP!!! Well, there is another hour. It's great when nothing goes your way. Hopefully we have better luck when we get around to lifting the front. So far the rear has been a royal pain in the A$$!!!

duntov said:
Started the lift today...what a nightmare! First, it took us about three hours to get this first leaf spring off. Apparently the bolts are seized in the bushings so we ended up cutting them out with a cutoff tool. Once we got the leaf springs off I figured I'd unbolt the shock mounts. SNAP!!!. SNAP!!! Well, there is another hour. It's great when nothing goes your way. Hopefully we have better luck when we get around to lifting the front. So far the rear has been a royal pain in the A$$!!!

Nothing was stuck, rusted, etc... and my install took 6 hours. That was me reading the instructions and two training mechanics doing the work.

I agree with the guys about getting the SYE, but disagree that a drop isn't fine until you can afford the SYE. It may make a difference on the year model, but on my 98 my 4.5" lift came with a 1" drop kit (rubber spacers). I have less vibrations now than when it was stock.

The whole idea of a lift is to get the bits up higher to improve ground clearance. It is a little backwards, to lower some of the bits back down.

I'll do the SYE on my NP242 (and replace the rear driveshaft) sometime in the next year, or so, but I'm doing good for now.

hasta

Worked on the old Cherokee again today. The good news is I got the two rear shocks in. All four bolts snapped so I had to do that fun mod of replacing them. The pass side leaf spring is in. The driver side is screwed. The front leaf spring bolt is rust/welded into place. It will not budge. May have to cut it out and spot weld in a new nut and use all new hardware. It's rough being from Ohio.

The bolt froze so ended up cutting the rear leaf springs bolt off. Cut a small square out and welded in a new plate to make it stronger then new. Hopefully I'll never have to replace this suspension. But who knows?

that looks more like an access hole to get to upper shock bolts. we did that with my install, but only cut on 3 edges so we could bend it... then bent it back and sealed it with silicone.

Here are some pics of the Jeep on the trail outside of Las Vegas. It did pretty good.

2844230270088377151sefccu1.jpg

img6374uy0.jpg

img6450cu6.jpg

img6522ns4.jpg

Back