• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting ready for the 'con Memorial Day weekend.

zachandandy

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I still have a list of stuff to do to the xj, but the wife's wj has been eating up all of my free time. http://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?p=370625#post370625 I got my new upper link built to finish my 3 link, just need to weld in the bungs and install the frame side mount. I'd like to replace the jcr stage 3 sliders with 2x6 rockers and install some chassis stiffeners before may, as well as mod the rear bumper so the shackles quit hitting it. Should have time to tear into it after I get a snow wheeling trip in on the 9th. We were up at cherry lake(groveland area) and there was about 2' of snow on the road a couple weeks ago. Should be a great time, as the forecast shows snow on Friday.

Btw im his wife n he doesnt do shit for me except play online

Btw my wife wheels more and drives better than most guys I know.
D31FB0BB-0AE9-4E9B-B783-9BBA7CD4D165-20370-00000D4DC4E68C03.jpg

Taken on January 19th
FDB32B1F-337A-4E2D-A844-AC10AE5D2F4B-2842-000001BC8A9A9F07_zps79a4c2e3.jpg

Taken February 26th. Someone built front and rear bumpers, tube fenders, trussed the rear axle, and swapped in an aussie locker while I was "playing online". She painted it herself.

Although the double stacked heim on the passenger knuckle held up fine, it definitely made me nervous. I looked at a few pics of people welding on bracket for double shear, and I decided to go for it. Middle arm is made from 3/4" plate, top arm is 3/8", and the side plate is 3/8". Longest 3/4" grade 8 I could find locally was 6", so I ordered a 7". The jam nut will be replaced with a nylock nut when the new bolt arrives.
17B0EE97-9642-43BF-8859-02F45FCB14FE-1085-0000009EA505AC2D_zps868cd2f8.jpg

How did you weld all that to the knuckle? Any pre-heat? Post-heat? MIG?\

Lookin good Zach

Mig, set at 175amp, beveled 45's and 2 passes on the 3/8" and 4 on the 3/4". No pre-heat. The knuckles are cast steel, not cast iron. I ran the heims double stacked for a year, single shear, no wallowing, 3/4" bolt as straight as the day I put it in. It survived all the steering carnage I had last year, box ripped from frame, frame split, broken sector shaft. I have no doubt that it is far stronger this way, and still uses the location that held up on its own. I would never try and weld an unsupported arm onto a knuckle, but supported the way it is with 1 long 3/4" grade 8 bolt, it will hold for sure.

Back