• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gettin the rear to flex please help

not quite what you are looking for, but close.

Definitely close. More:

I think low cog builds look badass. and they are very capable.

Agreed on low COG, provided it's usable. Then again, 'usable' is going to depend on the situations the XJ is being put into, so it's all relative.

Pretty much the only time I roll my eyes at these things is when someone does them without thinking through the ramifications of what it is they're doing, then wonder why it doesn't work the way they expected it to.

well with my build now i'm doing an lcg rig. probably going to end up running 35's with around 2-3in of lift.

i tried to work around the rear flex issue by raising the rear shackle mount. i'm only going to end up about 5/8 of an inch higher. that's about all the higher i could get without getting all kinds of crazy with the rear bumper/xmember.

i'm running some yj boomerang shackles, with everything considered it should put me about 3/4 in over stock lift wise but still give me about an 1 1/4 longer shackle.

i'll post up pics once it's sitting on it's own weight again

Definitely close. More:

Agreed on low COG, provided it's usable. Then again, 'usable' is going to depend on the situations the XJ is being put into, so it's all relative.

Pretty much the only time I roll my eyes at these things is when someone does them without thinking through the ramifications of what it is they're doing, then wonder why it doesn't work the way they expected it to.

i had my xj that low when i did the rock crawling comps in it.

definately surprised the spectators and myself at what she was capable of that the other rigs had a hard time on.

im at about 4.5" and 35's now, better suited for a multi-purpose rig

. . . so now its all out on the 88. i am only 19 and a very lol budget so its gonna be a long build i know what the front end is gonna be i just need help getting the rear to flex more. i plan on having about 7 inches of lift and 35-12.50 so any help would be nice thank you :helpme:

First, "getting the rear to flex more", if you haven't already, remove the rear sway bar.

Back to reality and before you go "BIG" with the lift.
"very lol (LOW?) budget" Start with beefing up what you can. Do you have a D35 rear axle? It won't last with "35-12.50" tires. Replace with D44 or at least a 29 spline 8.25.

"its all out on the 88" Add LOCKERS. You don't need lift to benefit and if you are "open - open" the first time one of those spinning big tires catches some traction, the stock axle will snap.

Finally. Re-gear, 4.88's or lower. Add lift. Add tires and wheels, etc., etc.

Mike

god... why does it burn my ass everytime i see someone say a "x axle" will break the first time out with "x tire size"....

everyone is different, every rig is different, every trail is different. some people drive to wheel, while others drive to try to break shit.

god... why does it burn my ass everytime i see someone say a "x axle" will break the first time out with "x tire size"....

everyone is different, every rig is different, every trail is different. some people drive to wheel, while others drive to try to break shit.

Dont know why it burns your a$$?

As far as every rig,trail, and driving style is different, one thing stands out to be fact, the D35 is a ticking time bomb and with most of them being C clip axle shafts, I would honestly want to upgrade the rear to something a little bit stronger that would hold up to the weight of "X" size tire.

Now as far as getting the flex to rear, as stated the flatter the rear springs the better. The Relocation bracket make the cherokee's ride amazing while allowing the rear springs to work the way they should. Another thing that would help the rear flex is not to limit the front flex, but maybe slow it down with either some progressive bump stops or a anti-rock swaybar.

Just my .02

the flatter springs are the best idea. then you just get creative with the mounting of them for the desired amount of lift, taking into affect shackle length and stroke...

if you beat your rig hard enough every component is a ticking time bomb. doesn't matter what axle, trans, motor, armor or whatever. knowing the limits of your rig and driving abilities in the terrain you drive is more important than dumping a ton of money into an axle swap.

the flatter springs are the best idea. then you just get creative with the mounting of them for the desired amount of lift, taking into affect shackle length and stroke...

if you beat your rig hard enough every component is a ticking time bomb. doesn't matter what axle, trans, motor, armor or whatever. knowing the limits of your rig and driving abilities in the terrain you drive is more important than dumping a ton of money into an axle swap.
The D35 is a weak axle. Period. Small, thin tubes, small ring gear. You must have a D35 in order to be getting so pissed over it. Do a quick search and read what people ave said and experienced with their D35s. Many here have run them and broken them, some in situations where any other axle would've survived.

i'm not going to get into a pissing match about the d35. i never said it was this end all be all axle. it just get's a much worse wrap then it should. i've beat on a locked d35 hard with 35's and chromo's with minimal breakage...

hi jack over... sorry to the op for my rant....

as stated above, flatter springs, with longer shackles will give you the best flex, just need to figure out where to put them so you can utilize leaf spring properly

Back