• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gen Right off road XJ tank.

over2land

NAXJA Member #1171
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Hey guys... I'm just putting this here so that Gen Right can get some feedback on this prototype XJ tank I talked them into making.

Working with Gen-Right, I got a tank in my 98 XJ before taking it to Easter Jeep Safari in Moab. It is about 25 gallons... although I've not run the Jeep out of gas completely, I've done 50 miles a couple of times with the needle full on E and the tank takes just under 25 gallons at that point.

It is an aluminum tank with a 3/16 inch steel skidplate. This one is a prototype, we are trying to figure out what the XJ community wants more- clearance or capacity.

It is the same height as the stock tank as you can see, but it gets spaced about 1/2 inch off the floor of the XJ (in the likely even of dropping off a ledge onto the tank and compressing the XJ floor- you know the 3/16 skid is gonna put up a bigger fight than the XJ mounting points), and the 3/16 skid with the 1/8 inch foam between the aluminum and the steel means it hangs about an inch lower.

For other Jeeps, Gen-Right makes both a higher clearance tank (ability to move the axle back up to 6 inches) and a higher capacity tank (basically what I've got now). The company isn't sure that the XJ market would bear both tanks for the XJ, not to mention the difference between early and late XJs resulting in 4 part numbers and other issues on the business side of things. Right now, the leading idea is a stock-ish sized tank, making the most of the space back there for whatever capacity that yields.

Tony from Gen Right figures we could make it have about 2 inches more clearance (from bottom of tank to ground) than stock and still get the stock capacity, thanks to the squared off corners. Right now I've got enough space to move my axle back 3 or 4 inches if I wanted (about like stock). Tony also figures we could go forward (make front of tank grow towards axle) with the tank another inch or two, which would gain from 3-5 gallons more and still have about two inches of axle clearance.

You can see the skid in the background of one of the pictures. We used the stock mounts with nuts welded to strips to mount the front of the tank, while the rear of the tank is mounted to the rear "c" channel section with a bolt strip. The limit for expanding the tank forward would be the stock mounts that are being used. Sorry, I don't have pics of the mounts, but I know Tony took some, and one of his guys, Robert is on here too.

I'm now getting about 350 miles out of tank, assuming no 4-low usage or rockcrawling. Heck, in Moab I was up to 9600 feet, with 40 or so miles in 4WD in the snow, 10 psi in the tires, and still got over 300 out of a tank.

Here are a couple of sneak peeks of the prototype tank I'm now running. Like all the Gen Right tanks, it uses the stock fuel pump, the stock vents on the top of the tank, is 1/8 inch aluminum (IIRC), and has a beefy 3/16 inch skid.

For you pre-97 XJ guys, the plan is to nail down one single design for the XJ tank on my 98, or my 97 that is in Gen Right's possesion for prototyping (as the early and late XJs appear to be very similar in regards to unibody design and the way it affects the gas tank) and then apply that to the earlier XJ. Gen Right has all the parts for you early guys to reuse your fuel pump, but there really isn't any point in prototyping two tanks simultaneously.

BTW, I'm not affiliated with Gen Right... like so much else in this world its not what you know its who you know... and in this case, its needing a place to put a 97 XJ shell, and coincedentally knowing a company that wants to start making XJ stuff... LOL.

What do you guys think?

311453057.jpg

311453052.jpg

311453047.jpg

Sign me up - if the price is right i'll be all over one of those. any way we could modify the guage to show E when its actually empty?

Some type of addon tank and solenoid could add more fuel.
I didn't see a price but I got a feeling that extra 5 or so gallons will not come cheap.

Extra capacity would be nice, especially when pulling my camper I'm getting only 10 miles to the gallon.Although at what cost. Clearance is not an issue for me though. I only mildly wheel compared to most though.

It would have to be at a really good price. The extra 5 gallons would be nice but I could always buy a gas can..lol

Looking at the big picture I would love to have one. I have an 89 so if built like your saying that would give me two more inches of clearance a skid plate and no more worries of rust in my tank when my Jeep sits for alittle while without a full tank. Sign me up!!!:thumbup: :yelclap:

Chad29860 said:
Looking at the big picture I would love to have one. I have an 89 so if built like your saying that would give me two more inches of clearance a skid plate and no more worries of rust in my tank when my Jeep sits for alittle while without a full tank. Sign me up!!!:thumbup: :yelclap:

Im with him give me the 2 inches ...

I have a 95 ... 2 inches and a skid @ a good price is worth way more then an extra 5 gallons

Its about F'in time... I asked tony about this a few years ago at truckhaven... His partner at the ORE last October said they were not interested in the Cherokee's.. Since most of the stuff they make is for Wranglers.. Will they be making one for the early model or just late model?? I am still very interested in having one done..

JeepinCoastie said:
Im with him give me the 2 inches ...

I have a 95 ... 2 inches and a skid @ a good price is worth way more then an extra 5 gallons

x3.
that would be what I'd want.

I posted this on ExPo as well but figured it would be good here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on your info, here is my input. Since it sounds like this tank is about the same clearance as the stock one, I would rather see the front of the tank expanded to add the extra 3-5 gallons over the added 4 gallons you have gained already. If I can add 7-9 gallons over my stock tank, then I can see the benefit to cost being worth it. It seems most aftermarket, fit in the stock location type tanks run $700-$1000, I have to see a real benefit to this.

Would having extra clearance be nice? Sure but not at the exspense of staying at the stock capacity. Since I do not do extreme rock crawling, I have not hit my stock tank so gaining extra clearance is pointless. As it is, I will hit my hitch (aftermarket) before the tank.

If they end up only building the tank as you currently have it, with about 4 extra gallons, for the cost the tank would run, I will stick to my extra fuel cans. If I can get 7-9 extra gallons, my fuel cans will most likely stay in the garage.

That's my .02 worth. Nice to see your new setup and hope this works out

Here's my take:

1.) CAPACITY, CAPACITY, CAPACITY!

Stockish depth and come forward an inch or so sounds good.

In my case I will be running 33" tires and may move the axle (Dana 44) back a touch for an extra bit of fender opening clearance.

2.) Why aluminum?

I'm in the rust belt. I worry about galvanic corrosion when I see stuff made of aluminum.

Is aluminum strong enough for this application?

Why not stainless?

Rust should not be a problem. A new steal tank with a good coating of some type will out last most of the XJ out there anyway. But thin steal of any type is harder to work with and welded corner seams tend to leak with a good impact. Few op for a skid until it's to late.
A truly armed gas tank would cost, weigh a ton, and that's not even adding shipping of that lead anchor. Besides a skid is a lot cheaper/easer to replace if needed. No one ever see a trashed skid.
Beside no one in his right mind (IMO) would say. " It's armed, go ahead smash our tank right on a sharp rock"
Fire, death, lawsuits etc

Clean-RC said:
Its about F'in time... I asked tony about this a few years ago at truckhaven... His partner at the ORE last October said they were not interested in the Cherokee's.. Since most of the stuff they make is for Wranglers.. Will they be making one for the early model or just late model?? I am still very interested in having one done..

The guy you talked to isn't there anymore.

And since my XJ is there so that they can prototype stuff, I'd say they are interested. You guys just gotta let em hear the desire for the parts is all.

Root Moose said:
Here's my take:

1.) CAPACITY, CAPACITY, CAPACITY!

Stockish depth and come forward an inch or so sounds good.

In my case I will be running 33" tires and may move the axle (Dana 44) back a touch for an extra bit of fender opening clearance.

2.) Why aluminum?

I'm in the rust belt. I worry about galvanic corrosion when I see stuff made of aluminum.

Is aluminum strong enough for this application?

Why not stainless?

I agree with the capacity thing.

As for the aluminum... the aluminum doesn't actually touch the steel anywhere... its got foam insulation protecting it. And, the company has been shipping TJ and YJ tanks for like two years now all over, not just So Cal with no issues due to corrosion. If you are really really worried about the salt, put a piece of zinc up on the tank.

Also, with this setup, the skid can take a pretty massive hit before the tank is damaged. The foam insulation between tank and skid, and again between tank and XJ make for a pretty good buffer.

I help build an 1/8" steel tank with center brace for an XJ 7 years ago. it is still in the jeep today and with no issues, the weight was a tad less than the 3/16" skid I currently run to protect the plastic tank

Sounds great!

Tony from Gen Right figures we could make it have about 2 inches more clearance (from bottom of tank to ground) than stock and still get the stock capacity, thanks to the squared off corners. Right now I've got enough space to move my axle back 3 or 4 inches if I wanted (about like stock). Tony also figures we could go forward (make front of tank grow towards axle) with the tank another inch or two, which would gain from 3-5 gallons more and still have about two inches of axle clearance.

Got pics?

I had a 1/8 inch steel tank in one of my CJ's years ago, and mangled it. I then added a 1/4 to it (yes welded to a tank that had gas already... but I filled it with water first... actually it sat in my yard for a year or two while I used a poly tank until I got tired of how low it hung and went back to the steel) along the bottom plane of the tank. I then started compressing the sides from repeated impacts and the tank started leaking... sending me back to the poly tank.

I am thinking that the thickness and material of the tank will be dictated by what kind of wheeling are you going to be doing with the Jeep. For me, I want more capacity than stock, and a 3/16 skidplate. Even an aluminum skid would work for me, for my XJ... but I don't want plastic or an 1/8 inch of steel out back there being the only thing between my gas and the ground. For what I plan for this XJ, realistically, 1/8 should be enough. But if I'm 100 miles out from the nearest road and come across a technical section, I don't want to back up because I'm worried about damaging the gas tank, of all things. Just my $.002 (dang inflation)

Now, I've never wheeled an XJ like I've wheeled my CJ's and YJ's. I don't plan on wheeling this one that way any time soon either. Maybe the XJ doesn't come down on the gas tank as often as the other Jeeps... I don't know. But the peace of mind that skid plate back there brings me, IMO, is worth it.

capacity vs clearance? Decisions, decisions...

Seriously, for me to drop the coin for what I'm sure is not a small price-tag (quality is not cheap) I would need BOTH. Increase both the capacity and ground clearance and I'll take two.

well this guy used to lead class 4.0 adn up trails. saw tons of use and yes the XJ's smack the tanks all the time. build it right and you dont have any issues. Hell warn and ARB front bumpers arent even 1/8" material LOL

Back