• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gears vs tire size

4:88's will be good with 33's and also with 35's but there's a strength issue because the pinion gets really tiny at that ratio. I would suggest 4:56 and if you eventually go up to 35's then a low range kit in the transfer case.

Ugh..... the pinion is not that small and there is no strength issue. Only few cases I heard of a shreaded pinion that I heard of turned out to be bad gear setup.

I've ran 4.88's forever on my XJ. I had it with 31's (short time as I was waiting for 33's to come in) and it wasn't to obad (top speed about 60~65 cause of RPM's). Then I had 4.88's with 33's which was a blast. Then I went to 4.88's and 35's and it wasn't too bad but I needed something inbetween which made me end up with 4:1.

Ugh..... the pinion is not that small and there is no strength issue. Only few cases I heard of a shreaded pinion that I heard of turned out to be bad gear setup.

I've ran 4.88's forever on my XJ. I had it with 31's (short time as I was waiting for 33's to come in) and it wasn't to obad (top speed about 60~65 cause of RPM's). Then I had 4.88's with 33's which was a blast. Then I went to 4.88's and 35's and it wasn't too bad but I needed something inbetween which made me end up with 4:1.
Having never had 4:88's I am going off what others have said. Maybe they were wrong.

Having never had 4:88's I am going off what others have said. Maybe they were wrong.

My 4.88's have survived axle housing damage on both axles... and when I wheel I don't treat my junk gently. So I guess what I'm sayings.... 4.88s are safe when it comes to strength. Trick is to install them right.

Got anything good to trade? I'm all about the barter system. :D

Yeah it is a good system :). I dont have much at the moment to trade for a lot. Stuff I have on for sale section is stuff that I am trying to get some $ on toward court battle I am going thru, but I will keep you in mind :).

go 4.88's if you're going 33's with an auto. if u have a stick i would go 4.10's/4.56's and 33's. ive never seen anybody regret going 4.88's. eventually you'll want to tuck 35's under your jeep. its just irresistable.

Cool thx :). Now I will just have to get some money saved up if i can :).
4.88's! trust me on this. id suggest riding around with someone with 4.56's and 4.88's. i used to live in hesperia and drove up and down the hill everyday. with 4.88's i can do 65mph with the ac on and cruise control. just that lil extra torque makes that much of a difference.

4.88's! trust me on this. id suggest riding around with someone with 4.56's and 4.88's. i used to live in hesperia and drove up and down the hill everyday. with 4.88's i can do 65mph with the ac on and cruise control. just that lil extra torque makes that much of a difference.

Yeah i think it sounds like 4.88's way to go. Either way 4.88's or 4.56's I desire them, but will have to wait awhile :). I was thinking of putting a Powertrax locker in when I do them as well. Are they ok or junk?

I think this pertains to the 8.25. At least thats what I have heard.

Yeah what I heard was they had to make the gears (ring and or pinion) small/thinner in order for them to fit the housing. Anywho, who wants to gear my junk while Im on deployment?

I'm running 4:56 on 33's and at 80 mph my rpm is just under 3K. The 4.0 loves this rpm range and is at it's most efficient in this range.

was actually suprised how it was not really that bad after loosing od and trying to do 70 ish on the way home from a long trip. kept it at 3k and it cruised well lol i have 245/75/16's

Yeah i think it sounds like 4.88's way to go. Either way 4.88's or 4.56's I desire them, but will have to wait awhile :). I was thinking of putting a Powertrax locker in when I do them as well. Are they ok or junk?
i would go with aussies. i'v heard powertrax busting. ask dan gerr

X2 I believe the Aussie is cheaper anyway.
LOL knock on wood. but ive never seen one bust. ive heard of a carrier busting. but even if theyre set up wrong. they spool themselves and the pins dont break.:peace:

i would go with aussies. i'v heard powertrax busting. ask dan gerr

It was a trutrac.

I have seen two break.

I have one but with finess and not forcing it to do something it really shouldn't it will be fine.

Aussies work well, tim goes alot of places that you would think and aussie should not go.

It was a trutrac.

I have seen two break.

I have one but with finess and not forcing it to do something it really shouldn't it will be fine.

Aussies work well, tim goes alot of places that you would think and aussie should not go.
dan told be he had a powertrax no slip and just welded it completely into a spool because some part kept breaking. i love my set up. i dont notice my front aussie and my rear detroit soft locker is very quiet

4.88 D30 pinion is liek a tooth pick. 4.56 isnt much better but IS still stronger and the trade off the the Slight increase in ratio IMO is not at all worth it. If your all that set on super low then go 4:1 transfer case.

In the true realistic releam of insert lockers. Power trax no-slip if the much stronger design, IF the installer either knows what thier doing or can follow direction. Its Not your typical insert style. Its a much quieter and better material locker, hence the 200$ cost increase over most other inserts. There is a new manufacture making them now for private lables, they are just as strong as the aussie or Powertrax lock-rite. But at 210$ for a D30 or D44 and has a one year warranty.

just some insight from someone that does gears and knows a lil more then some, But not as much as others, they say...

Back