• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear set up

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
Ok...so I have a new bucket list of things that need to get done to the XJ and I am working on prioritizing them based on how easy it is, and how expensive it is.

-I need to get new adjustable UCAs - easy and not too expensive (thanks to a Crawl raffle gift certificate)
-I need new shocks - also easy and a little more expensive
-I need to put an OEM steering box back in because I don't like the Durango one - again, pretty easy, and probably the least expensive yet
-I need to fix the gear backlash and set up in the front differential - way over my paygrade and, I would expect, not terribly cheap.

So, my question to y'all would be for a recommendation in the Nashville area to open my front axle, and correct the gears. Also, any ideas what I should be projecting for that type of fix? Lastly, I suspect I'm ok just going to a shop that I trust, rather than one that specializes in off-road. I mean gears are gears, right?

Don't know anybody up there. But if somebody has a clamshell bearing puller and a dial indicator it's not that hard on the d30. I set them tight as they will open up a bit. New gears I go for .005 and used about .003. This will also help with deflection. I set my used gears up when I broke the carrier to .003 and they opened to .005 last gear oil change.

Ok...so I have a new bucket list of things that need to get done to the XJ and I am working on prioritizing them based on how easy it is, and how expensive it is.

-I need to get new adjustable UCAs - easy and not too expensive (thanks to a Crawl raffle gift certificate)
-I need new shocks - also easy and a little more expensive
-I need to put an OEM steering box back in because I don't like the Durango one - again, pretty easy, and probably the least expensive yet
-I need to fix the gear backlash and set up in the front differential - way over my paygrade and, I would expect, not terribly cheap.

So, my question to y'all would be for a recommendation in the Nashville area to open my front axle, and correct the gears. Also, any ideas what I should be projecting for that type of fix? Lastly, I suspect I'm ok just going to a shop that I trust, rather than one that specializes in off-road. I mean gears are gears, right?

Wide Open Design is in Muphreesboro. I would trust Woodlee and his guys with my rig anyday.

http://www.wideopendesign.com/

EOR is also in Murphreesboro. Jimmy and his guys are very good as well.

http://www.essentiallyoffroad.com/

Last edited:

I may be out of the loop but what happened to the front diff where only the backlash needs adjusted? 4.10 gears right?

That pinion should not have lateral play. As far as the excessive spinning that's almost normal. Maybe slightly excessive. Backlash is measured by the actual contact of te teeth. What you're seeing when you spin it is the movement of the spider gears or locker contact with the axle shafts.. Remember backlash is measured in Thousandths of an inch. Imagine 1/64 of an inch is roughly .015 and some change. Backlash is a very sensitive measurement and can only ever be truly measured with a dial indicator and a proper gear mesh paint. Put it in 4wd with the front on jack stands and post up the play.

I'd expect any shop to want to put in a new install kit and do a full new setup with that much wear on the pinion bearing.

I would go ahead and buy an install kit from a vendor here and find a shop/Jeep guy that'd set them up for you. If you weren't 12 million miles from here I'd do it for you.

I'd expect $300 from a shop and $150 from a Jeep guy.

What is it you don't like about the Durango box? What year box did you put on your jeep? I have been thinking about putting one on my jeep and would really like to hear your answer to this.

Yes gears are gears.

LT - I just don't like the feel of it. It seems strained to turn it and it seems to send a lot more vibrations and is noisier. Once I get it off, meet me in southern TN somewhere and I'll sell it to you. Of course that's going to require me getting an OEM one first. Maybe you'll like it better than I do. It is a Lares brand from Rock Auto. Can't recall what year Durango I researched.

831 - here is a clip in 4lo on jack stands. Still some vertical play but not really visible on the clip. It doesn't have any lateral play to speak of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXzbqFzopp4&feature=youtu.be

Andy - I've been quoted $800 from the local repair shop to just "make it tight" again, and $560 to regear it at a 4x4 shop. Haven't even thought about pricing out a new gear install set yet. I will be in Asheville NC in December. Maybe I'll bring the XJ and drive to Abbeville on the way home. We can spend a Sunday afternoon in the shop tearing into the Jeep.

Last edited:
I've got at least 2 xj boxes on the shelf. You can have one.

Sure do. Aussie.

Sadly this is the way they automatically lock and unlock. My gut instinct says your gears are in spec. But a visual inspection may be necessary.

If you YouTube Aussie/Spartan operation some guy shows how the center pin has to move around in between the two center ratcheting gears which is where the slack in the driveline is coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll get my pinion angle set right, then check again. Last time I had the carrier out, I didn't *see* anything amiss, but then again, I may not know what I am looking for.

For as little driving as this thing sees - 3000 a year, maybe - it's probably not catastrophic.

I'll get my pinion angle set right, then check again. Last time I had the carrier out, I didn't *see* anything amiss, but then again, I may not know what I am looking for.

For as little driving as this thing sees - 3000 a year, maybe - it's probably not catastrophic.

I agree. That slop in the diffs from the lunch box lockers are pretty hidden in autos because the torque converter but in a manual it kicks your ass. I know carmine has them in his YJ and he told me he had to replace an AX5 one time because of the the ways the lockers shock the driveline.

I have them front and rear with a manual and it is harsh but after three years they are all still going strong :thumbup:

Andy - I've been quoted $800 from the local repair shop to just "make it tight" again, and $560 to regear it at a 4x4 shop. Haven't even thought about pricing out a new gear install set yet. I will be in Asheville NC in December. Maybe I'll bring the XJ and drive to Abbeville on the way home. We can spend a Sunday afternoon in the shop tearing into the Jeep.

Jesus! That's sky high!

I do agree with the lunchbox locker having that much play. You should be able to rotate it slightly by hand to feel for backlash. You're feeling for the teeth making contact with each other, not turn it until it stops.

The lateral movement of the pinion is not right, though. Your pinion bearings are no good.

I just had my gears installed in my Jeep for $250. Front and rear.

Back