• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas smell when truck is cold

where is it leaking again? between the fuel rail and the fuel pressure regulator? did you replace just the o-rings or replace the whole quick disconnect?

i would try smearing rtv or some typ of sealant that is resistent to gas around the connection. may look ugly, but it might stop the leak. i know it doesnt sound like a great repair, but it seems like you have change the o-ring and/or connection, the only other option would be to replace the fuel rail as it could be bent or scored allowing the leak.

No its leaking on the Input side of the rail. Or at least i always thought the side closest to the Firewall was the input side (Opposite the Regulator) 1990 RENIX. Before, i was just replacing the orings, but this last time i shelled out the 24 bucks for the darn quick-disconnect kit that has the two orings, the spacer and the clip.

Wouldnt a score in the rail, or on the fitting present itself at all times and not just when its cold?

I really feel like the gas is feezing up the oring a bit, causing the leak until it heats up enough to make a seal again. Like i said it only happened when it was really cold outside. It has not been a problem lately. Its been about 35-50 degrees during work hours when the Jeep is parked outside.

Any suggestions on insulation options?

A score in the rail could present itself only when cold. The o-ring will shrink a bit in the cold and perhaps just enough to let gas past the score.

I don't think insulating it would be that great of idea... especially if the insulation catches the gas and soaks it up a bit.

A score in the rail could present itself only when cold. The o-ring will shrink a bit in the cold and perhaps just enough to let gas past the score.

I don't think insulating it would be that great of idea... especially if the insulation catches the gas and soaks it up a bit.

Thats exactly what i was thinking about the insulation idea... it scared me i just thought i had no other alternative.

I guess its time to go to a junk yard and try another fitting. Then if the problem arises again, ill try swapping out the rail.

This is interesting. As of late I've noticed some gas smell, but only when getting on the gas more than normal--like up a steep hill (only a quick whiff, then it's gone). Never had it before, even in cold weather. Guess I'll be checking my injectors as well.

Also, take a look at the gas tank. When I had my 91 I had a leak in a vapor vent on the top of the tank that was leaking. I fixed it using some epoxy labeled for gas tanks and just put it around the vent.

Gas smell when cold came back this year... i did replace the fuel rail with a different one awhile back, and the problem was still there .. so it has to be a problem with the disconnect.

I did however find a fairly cheap solution (at least for now). I used some of that "HEET" gas line antifreeze / water remover. I used the premium stuff that i believe is actually called "Iso-Heet". After i added it to the tank, i didnt have the problem on that tank of gas.

Back