• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas smell after cleaning engine

xray1971

NAXJA Forum User
Cleaned the engine today on my 98 for the first time since 02. I covered the throttle body and sensors along with the PDC etc. I used Gunk engine cleaner (smells funky) and a slow stream from the garden hose. Let things dry for a couple hours then went for a drive. After 10 mins. or so of driving a strong gas smell overwhelmed the cabin. I kept driving for 10 more miles or so hoping it was the sludge runoff burning off the exhaust etc. Got home and noticed I burned more gas than usual for that length of driving. Popped hood while still running and could smell gas but could not see any visible leaks. Of course the fan was running and the temp. was at 210. I did notice some dirt in the airtube after removing it from the t-body. I have one of those fram drop-in oiled-down filters. I am guessing it lets some dirt get through. Anyways, a few specks of dirt got in the throttle body. I blew most of it out I think.. maybe some got in the orifice that is on the side of the t-body inside bore and caused a problem?
Sorry for the long winded story :yap: just looking if anyone has had a similar prob. before or could point me to what to look at first.

I really don't see the correlation of cleaning the engine bay with a gas leak. It could be coincidental.

Leaks are about the toughest thing to help troubleshoot online. If the smell continues, find the root cause ASAP or you could risk "toasting" your XJ. Good luck!

Back