• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas or Diesel? Daily driver/tow rig

fdsa487

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so here is the deal. Im in the market for a new truck. I plan on having the truck for at least 6 years. It will need to be a daily drive and also able to haul my toy hauler. Its a 21' Carson Fun Runner and I think the GVWR is 8000lbs. After I put the 100 gallons of h20, a quad, and a rhyno, gas, food and all the other things that I require at the desert including tools im assuming its pretty close to the 8,000 lbs.
Right now I use my 2002 Z71 5.3L Silverado to haul it RATED 285 horses. It does so/so. I live in Southern California and there are some large grades out here when going to and coming from the desert. Just to maintain 50-55 mph sometimes the truck will shift into 2nd gear and be between 4500 and 5000 RPM - the thing is just screaming! I know its not good for the truck and that I need to get something with more power.
So, here is my delima... My 2 choices that I have here are going to be a

2005-2006 dodge cummins diesel 4x4 or a
2007-2008 toyota tundra with the 5.7 V8 They are rated at 385 HP (one hundred more than my current truck) and 400 ft/lb or torque.

Either of these will be good for towing my trailer -- at least better than what I have now. With diesel prices the way they are now (and the added cost of owning one) make they Toyota seem better. Also the fact that I only tow the toy hauler about 10-15 times a year it might be better to get the Toyota since most of the time its a daily driver. But then what if later I have have kids and want to get a bigger toy hauler? diesel maybe? Damn.

Let me know what you guys think. Im probably going to buy bran new or nearly new and again I plan on owning this next truck until its paid off. Thanks

I would vote for the Toyota a guy at work has a new one they are built very stout the brakes are about the size of a hubcap ad Toyotas are hard to beat for relibilty

Diesel 24/7.....fuel prices will continue to rise...and you will inevitably get better economy, and performance from a diesel......Plus the torque kicks butt!

just my two cents!

Yeah im leaning towards the diesel as well now. Better MPG will pay for itself since I plan on owing it. Also later if I get a bigger toy hauler I will be able to pull it with no problem.

Diesel dude. My brother has a Cummings turbo and I have personally drove it FULLY loaded up the grapevine with electricians garb i.e. copper wire, tools, scissor lift on trailer etc. I was even passing cars and chit it's awesome.....Of course he had the bully-dog installed!but still.

If u want to fly up the hills at 100MPH and rebuild motors every 2-3 years go gasoline.
If u want to fly up the hills at 80MPH and only rebuild motors every 8-9 years, go diesel.

well I have the 5.7 in the new 08 sequoia. Got it due to on paper specs and wanting to tow my 7000-8000lbs loaded trailer about once every month or so.

After we have had it now about 2 months I have to say the toyota makes one hell of a truck/suv Now.

Everyone said this or that, all negitive, about the toyota on here. I have to say though that its the best vehicale I ever bought. I go thru cars/trucks/jeeps about one every 2 yrs, all new yr models.

This thing drove and handled so nice my buddy went to drive the new tundra, F150 & 250, titan (what a joke of a truck there, sorry titan owners) and the chevy 1500HD. All of which were 4 door. He drove the Tundra last due to the cost being a little more then the rest with sim options on each.

During the test drive he called me and said Dude I found my truck. He went crewmax 4x4 sr5 and towed his 7000-8000lbs traielr a week later, and loved it.

If it were me and I could get away with a truck over a SUV I would have done the Tundra over anything else out there if it was a 6-10 times a yr tower and the rest of the time a comfort driver. The Power is off the hook. How about a 1/4 mile time of 14.6. Or the back seat room larger then a 3/4ton surb. or wider then the Tahoe or Expy, I could go one and on. As well as being a Truely built in USA truck that has the resale far better then any chevy, dodge or ford. Mixed with a 6yr/100K bump to bump, no deductable warranty for 1300$, for me, the move to what I feel is better was easy.

Now as for the gas mileage thing. Around town his 4x4 is very close to my SUV (both the 5.7 w 401ft/lbs and 385HP) 14.9-15.5MPG. Hwy - 17.9-18.5MPG. Towing in so cali from LA area to high desert (lots of grades and never slower then what I want to go) 12mpg with 7000-8000lbs trailer. Thats all real world numbers, not manufacture ratings.

Just my .02

Oh and I DID want a Diesel before I drove the sequoia and added up the Gas prices and MPG, across the board.

Resale on the Toyota full size truck and SUV's is not better than Chev or Ford. They are too expensive, and not considered by most to be better than Ford or Chev, so used they really drop in price. All large SUV's and trucks are fairly soft in the used car market right now, but the large Toyota's are really soft because they are so expensive to start with.

You're right, the Titan is a joke. you see the cheapness just sitting in it, and it has the worst reliabity of any full size truck based on Consumer Reports.

The Tundra has great power, but I don't like the looks. Personally, I think Toyota is selling vehicles based on their reputation, definitely not on their looks. The Toyota Tundra and their SUV line up is seriously ugly compared to the other vehicles out there. Additionally, the spread in quality between Toyota and Ford and GM has closed considerably. Consumer Reports and J.D. Powers now report that Ford's overall quality is on par with Toyota. Consumer Reports recently stopped automatically recommending every new Toyota model, as they have in the past, based on a decline in Toyota quality relative to other makes. Now, each new Toyota vehicle must prove itself just like other vehicles have to.

Goatman said:
Resale on the Toyota full size truck and SUV's is not better than Chev or Ford. .

Well comparing a 2007 - 1500HD LT2 trim (mid level) with same options as a stock Tundra limited. Both full 4dr models. w 12000 miles. As per kelly blue book (I know, but thats the Standard most follow)....

_________PP sale______retail___________New Invoice price
Tundra 30,000 33,000 35,102
Chevy 22,000 25,000 30,700

So if you follow KBB the toyota is holding a 85% private party value and chevy is at 71%
And for Retail used car, the toyota is at 94% adn chevy is at 83%.

so I have to disagree that the chevy is holding on par with toyota on Resale value. At least if you follow Kelly Blue book, oh and edmunds true market value is even better for the Toyota over chevy and ford for that matter.

And as for looks, thats all depending on the person. I think the Toyota is far supperior in looks to either the Chevy or ford. but thats per person.

Last edited:
another vote for diesel, you just can't beat the pulling power and longevity... there's a reason you don't see gasoline 18wheelers :dunce:

FoMoCo said:
another vote for diesel, you just can't beat the pulling power and longevity... there's a reason you don't see gasoline 18wheelers :dunce:

So why not get a 18 wheeler then? :dunno: It would really pull. :looney:

!!!1 Either way you will be happy. Weather you go gas or diesel, just make sure you go with the correct one of either.

ROBERTK said:
Or the back seat room larger then a 3/4ton surb. or wider then the Tahoe or Expy, I could go one and on.

I drove a rental 4 door tundra for a month in february. The interior room is not bigger than my F250. We barely fit 3 adults in the back. The power was ok, but my diesel puts 650 ft lbs of torque under my foot.

I enjoy driving my diesel every day...

I dont enjoy filling it...

If I could afford it, I would like to buy a Honda CBR600 as a daily driver, and just use the diesel on rainy days and on weekends to tow the jeep around...

Diesel.

I recently bought a new (to me) truck. But when I was shopping I looked at the tundras. Nice rigs and they have some get up and go to them.

But instead I bought a 2003 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab. It absolutely kicks ass. I towed a 10,000 lb load with it and the truck didn't break a sweat.

So far through 3 tanks of fuel. I have been getting 17-20 Highway and when I was towing that 10K load I was getting 11. But I primarily bought it to tow my jeep so we shall see how it does. I anticipate anywhere from 12 to 15 towing.

10 speed bicycle:attom:

RedHeep said:
I drove a rental 4 door tundra for a month in february. The interior room is not bigger than my F250. We barely fit 3 adults in the back. The power was ok, but my diesel puts 650 ft lbs of torque under my foot.

Well I never said bigger then a F-250 or 2500. But will say that the leg room in a tundra back seat is 3" better then your F250 and 5.5" better in the Tundra then the 2500. And yoru right your HIP room is 4.5" less total! so thats what 1.5" less per Waist / hip area in the tundra then the F-250? and yes shoulder room is 2.5" less Total.

I fit a child seat and two 6'4"+ guys in the 2nd row seat in my Seq. and they never complain. Expecially when they can recline thier seats and have the needed leg room to relax.

Like I once mentioned in my post previously, you will not read much good about the Toyota products here. But dont let thier lack of knowledge on the Tundra and their beliefs sway giving it a look for what it sounds like you would really benifit from.

How about turning radius, 10FT MORE in the F250 Short WB then the tundra! Much quieter interior on the tundra then the Ford's or chevy's. BUT as mentioned the Toyota 5.7 might not go as long,thats to be determined though. In therory the Diesel should last longer, but is 100K enough for you? Will you keep it that many years? For me the 100K warranty was enough to make me comfortable in my decission.

Weather its diesel or gas, just drive them all that you are considering. Then You determine what is best for your application. Just steer away from the Known lemons....

once you go diesel you wont go back! trust me i drive an 05 duramax and could not be happier. so much more power potential with a little tuning and its waaayyy more fun

ROBERTK said:
I fit a child seat and two 6'4"+ guys in the 2nd row seat in my Seq. and they never complain. Expecially when they can recline thier seats and have the needed leg room to relax.

Like I once mentioned in my post previously, you will not read much good about the Toyota products here. But dont let thier lack of knowledge on the Tundra and their beliefs sway giving it a look for what it sounds like you would really benifit from.

How about turning radius, 10FT MORE in the F250 Short WB then the tundra! Much quieter interior on the tundra then the Ford's or chevy's. BUT as mentioned the Toyota 5.7 might not go as long,thats to be determined though. In therory the Diesel should last longer, but is 100K enough for you? Will you keep it that many years? For me the 100K warranty was enough to make me comfortable in my decission.

Like I said, I drove one every day for a month. You're talking about leg room in a sequoia, but you're pimping a 4 door tundra to the guy.

The topic of discussion is gas or diesel. The only diesel options are the bigger trucks. I would say the same thing about an F150 as I am about a tundra. The smaller trucks just don't add up when you tow once a month or more.

But the tundra I drove wasn't any quieter or put together any better than my ford or the chevy my boss drives or the dodge one of my Marines drives.

Dude, screw the Yoter, go Cummins. Diesel's just plain better. Not to mention Cummins' an excellent motor that will last you forever and the gas mileage is GREAT. Just be sure and get a 24 valve.

Back