• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Garmin 60CSX vs. 76CSX

casm

NAXJA Forum User
Although happy with it overall, I'm looking at upgrading my current GPS receiver (Garmin eTrex Legend) sometime in the next couple of months to something a bit beefier. On the current shortlist are the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX and 76CSX. I'm planning on staying with Garmin as I've been very happy with their products - and every piece of GPS software I'm currently using supports them without issues.

Does anyone with experience with these units have anything to say in the way of reccomending or condemning them? I'll get out and play with them a little closer to the time, but would be interested to hear what users have to say.

I have the 60CSX and I have nothing but good things to say about it. The batteries last a long time. If you us it with the TOPO software or the TOPO memory card it is even better. I also use the marine mount in my jeep along with the power cord. The new style Helix ant works very well.

I would get the 60CSX again!!

aszaunmi said:
I have the 60CSX and I have nothing but good things to say about it.

Yep - I know a couple of people with that unit, and their opinion is the same. Having fiddled with it a bit, I like it.

The batteries last a long time. If you us it with the TOPO software or the TOPO memory card it is even better.

Good to know. I've currently got the topo maps loaded into my Legend, and certainly wouldn't part with them for anything.

The main considerations here are keeping the functionality of the Legend, but improving acquisition times and adding autorouting for the times where I need it. Going to a colour display is a given: as good as the Legend's display is, I'd like to be able to pick things out a little more easily.

Fish'nCarz said:
I'm looking right now as well. I found this link helpful.

http://forums.topografix.com/

Thanks - that was actually one of the ones I'd hit a few days ago when I first started thinking about this. Some good info there.

I have a 60, the firmware is identical on the two so you should just look at what you want on the exterior. 76 has a larger screen and will float. I don't like how big it is though.

They will both accept the same accessories and aftermarket. Great stuff, imo.

I just got the E-trex Venture CX.
Color screen
Autorouting,
Waterproof to 3 meters for 30 minutes and floats.
Accepts micro SD cards to 2 gig
Fast refresh rate even when auto nav is on

Pretty much the same as the 60 csx except;
no external antenna capability
no baro/altimeter

So far I like it works great with the topo and topo24K. I dont have the city nav but will eventually.

Aaron

I have the 76csx. It aquires satelites while sitting on the counter in the middle of the kitchen. We installed City Navigator in it and it became 10 times more usefull. I plan on installing Topo as well, but zooming in enough on City will show forest service roads. I am very impressed with the Garmin.

SCW said:
I have a 60, the firmware is identical on the two so you should just look at what you want on the exterior.

Went to REI with my Legend a few days ago and compared it to both. Here's what I found:

76 has a larger screen and will float. I don't like how big it is though.

Funnily enough, both the 60CSX and 76CSX use the same display; I had to double-check this on Garmin's website to be certain. The 76 had a cutesier GUI from what I remember, which I didn't like - it looked like something that would've been used on a cellphone four years ago. The two things that really killed it for me, though, were the size (it's bulky) and positioning of the keys above the display; the idea of my hand or arm obscuring the screen if I tried to operate it while driving was totally unappealing.

In any event, I snagged a 60CSX from eBay Saturday - it was evidently brand-new, still in the box, and an unwanted Christmas present. It was also considerably less expensive than the cheapest online price I could find, so I'm sorted out and think I'll be happy with the unit. Certainly, I had no complaints with the Legend, and this seems like it has everything I liked about that unit plus some very useful improvements.

toast said:
I use a Garmin Quest, Im not familiar with the units 60csx, or 76csx, but Ive been pleased with it. There is also a Quest 2 out.
http://www.garmin.com/products/quest/

I looked at one of these early on, but it has some shortcomings in comparison to even the Legend: it can only handle half as many waypoints, and is set up more for autorouting than as a general-purpose GPS receiver. Not that I'm saying it's a bad unit by any means, it just doesn't really fit my needs.

casm said:
Funnily enough, both the 60CSX and 76CSX use the same display; I had to double-check this on Garmin's website to be certain. The 76 had a cutesier GUI from what I remember, which I didn't like - it looked like something that would've been used on a cellphone four years ago. The two things that really killed it for me, though, were the size (it's bulky) and positioning of the keys above the display; the idea of my hand or arm obscuring the screen if I tried to operate it while driving was totally unappealing.

In any event, I snagged a 60CSX from eBay Saturday - it was evidently brand-new, still in the box, and an unwanted Christmas present. It was also considerably less expensive than the cheapest online price I could find, so I'm sorted out and think I'll be happy with the unit. Certainly, I had no complaints with the Legend, and this seems like it has everything I liked about that unit plus some very useful improvements.

Both are great GPS units, imo. You can turn the display orientation such that the button would be on the side insead of the top. The 76 screen used to be about 1/10" wider than the 60, not sure if they shrunk the 76 or stretched the 60.

So you know, with a little effort you can actually make your own maps with trails, contours, features, etc and upload them onto your Garmin. Can't do that with any of the others (except Trimble and other survey grade units).

SCW said:
Both are great GPS units, imo. You can turn the display orientation such that the button would be on the side insead of the top.

Interesting; I didn't find that option in the settings, but it makes sense that it's there. The only concern I'd have with doing that is that with the unit running in landscape mode it probably wouldn't fit in the area I'm mounting it in (photos of that are here). In any event, it was ultimately its bulkiness that killed it - when I did the pocket test on the 76 it didn't fit as well in my coat as the 60, and I didn't like the idea of the amount of visibility it would obscure out of the area between the dash and driver's side A-pillar.

So you know, with a little effort you can actually make your own maps with trails, contours, features, etc and upload them onto your Garmin. Can't do that with any of the others (except Trimble and other survey grade units).

Yep, I've been using a rather useful freeware package for that called GPS Trackmaker - it's extremely fully-deatured, and I'm planning on going to the Pro version once the 60CSX gets here. To be honest I haven't actually used it much for hand-creating routes, etc., but more as a general waypoint, track, and route management tool. Very happy with the package so far: its ability to both import from and export to Google Earth format (amongst many others) makes it extremely flexible for distributing geocaching and trail maps to folks.

I have the older 60cs and I wouldn't be caught without it on the trail. I recommend (very highly) you get both the U.S Topo and City Select. The external antenna is a must if you use it in the car (XJ). When you connect it to a laptop it turns into a real monster, I'll never get lost again no mater where I'm at on the planet!

12.jpg

gps.jpg

Last edited:
One Arm Steve said:
I have the older 60cs and I wouldn't be caught without it on the trail. I recommend (very highly) you get both the U.S Topo and City Select. The external antenna is a must if you use it in the car (XJ). When you connect it to a laptop it turns into a real monster, I'll never get lost again no mater where I'm at on the planet!

I have the 60 csx and had no idea that I could connect it to my laptop, I usually use Microsoft Streets and Trips w/usb GPS unit for street nav.

juryrigjalopy said:
I have the 60 csx and had no idea that I could connect it to my laptop, I usually use Microsoft Streets and Trips w/usb GPS unit for street nav.

You don't know what your missing! U.S Topo and City Select are worth every penny. Do yourself a favor and pick them up. Visit the Garmin website and check out all they have to offer.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60csx/

Be sure to check for updates and downloads. nRoute is a invaluable tool.

One Arm Steve said:
You don't know what your missing! U.S Topo and City Select are worth every penny. Do yourself a favor and pick them up. Visit the Garmin website and check out all they have to offer.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60csx/

Be sure to check for updates and downloads. nRoute is a invaluable tool.

Thanks, Im gonna check out the manual tonight and see if I can get it going. I wonder if the GPS unit would work with the Microsoft Streets and Trips program

One arm Steve

how do you have the laptop mounted in your XJ?

PolishX said:
I have the Garmin 76CS I love it BUT it wont fit on the dash in the holder without hitting hte windshield ... so it's up fro sale

i have the same gps reciever. you just have to get creative with the mounting. i removed the factory clock. i made a bracket that mounts in its place. it is sort of an L shape which makes a platform to stick the garmin barket to. i could get a picture if your interested. i also like that it keeps the reciever out of my view out the windshield.

* i'll most def agree that having the key of the 76csx on top is lame. and it is rather hard to mount in an xj. if i did it again i think i would go with the 60 series.

*one arm steve. do you know if the 76csx will hook up the my laptop like yours.

*what would you guys recomend: u.s. topo or topo 24k or whatever its called. i am not even sure really what the differences are. i like to wheel rubicon, fordyce, dusy ershim, Johnson Valley, hollister hills, Pismo dunes. not really out of california. thanks for the replys i'm pretty new to the whole gps thing.

Back