• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fun in the rocks. Or... why have I not broken my D30 yet?

Glenn B

Member #69
NAXJA Member
Had a blast in the desert yesterday with a couple friends. Got to play with my new GoPro cam. Shot everything in 1080, the battery did not last as long as I hoped, so will be picking up a bigger battery.

This one, the camera is mounted upside down under the front bumper. It also caught the spring coming out. Was an easy fix. Yes, I neeed limiing straps and bumpstops.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1JiejG2-U4&list=UUARpUVGHWUHpq8W8UogvcEA&index=2

This is me climbing up some waterfalls/steps. The cam is mounted on the front stinger.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t1sJ...ogvcEA&index=1

This is the same part of the trail with my friend filming. Was cool to see the verion from the GoPro mounted to the Jeep and another from outside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTTy1HHtnE0 (I should add... I use the F word at the end of this one... the very end. Otherwise is kid safe)

Fixed the last two links to "embed" the videos. First video is being a PIA to embed... LOL. I really like the first video, and glad it captured the spring popping out. :) They do look better in full screen though.

That looks like a fun trail.

It is. That is where we ran the 4400 class "down". I have never tried it before... but having not been out in the Jeep for so long, and just recently having the D44 rebuilt, wanted to give it a shot. It worked out better than I planned. Not bad for a "trash lok" and an open D30. :shhh:

Of course, lockers front and rear would make it easier. Maybe too easy?

PUMPKIN YOUR PUMPKIN!

LOL, yup. It is fairly steep, so having called out what was hanging up was a bit helpful. Could not always memorize each rock for tire placement.

PUMPKIN YOUR PUMPKIN!

Here is another one. This one is in the "wash". GPS had me at 54 mph, I know, not all that fast for the desert racers, but this is also my daily driver. The Bilstein shocks do make it more comfortable, when I had the generic shocks, anything above 40 sucked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=s_NvRQRvYuA

They're fun little cameras. Nice video footage by the way.

The thing I like about the go-pro is the miniaturization. Take into account the bulk of the housing, the size of the battery and the size of the memory/hdmi/usb ports, the actual "camera" part of the camera is about the size of a sugar cube.

They are quite amazing.

They're fun little cameras. Nice video footage by the way.

The thing I like about the go-pro is the miniaturization. Take into account the bulk of the housing, the size of the battery and the size of the memory/hdmi/usb ports, the actual "camera" part of the camera is about the size of a sugar cube.

PUMPKIN YOUR PUMPKIN!

Holding a camera turns many sane people, even those possessing incredible vocabularies, into simple-minded morons. I've seen myself do it - more than once. :jester: I'm sure your spotter feels the same way.

why have I not broken my D30 yet?
Taking your video as evidence: because you're an intelligent driver who understands there's more to conquering obstacles than just overuse of the skinny pedal.

Nice.... Would love to get out west for some wheeling some day.

Specs on your rig? Looks like a good setup...

89, 4.0, auto, somewhere around 8 inches lift, Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's 35in tires. Teraflex steering & rear disc conversion. Front D30 (open) rear D44 with a trak-loc. Teraflex long arms converted to radius style. Bilstein 5150's rear, 5125's front. Track bar mount brace, steering gear box brace, and some other stuff that I have probably forgotten.

It is not perfect, but usually does what I want it to, and has never left me stranded (even when I damn near broke the t-case in half)... yet. :)

It still needs bump stops, limiting straps, and a bunch of other stuff. It never ends. :)

Back