• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FULL FACE front bumper that replaces entire nose??

Jump This said:
I think Billy needs to explain to us what the hell that is supposed to be?
A cowling for kangaroos?
Rick
PM Dan Starc and ask him. Since that is him, and that is what his current exo'd XJ used to look some time long ago.

I never ask'd why he did it, but I recall him making some reference to the Hummer's. IIRC, Skyjacker bought that contraption off him for thier Rock Ready XJ, but I dont think it has that on it anymore.

Actually trail ready and road armor are separate companies. Trail ready bought the intellectual properties. It was some sort of partnership at first. Once the road armor guy got his money he went and started what is now road armor, selling the same stuff. I think that is the story at least, don't quote me on it.

Dustin

Just got a rigidco bumper. Its stout and appears to be plenty strong for protection and recovery. It mounts up nicely and Terry the builder can customize it as well. He has both a prerunner and single hoop brush guard available, but i've seen some pics of a custom brushguard that he made. His bumpers basically look like the BPI's, but I think his price is a lot better. His instructions come in a binder and he gave me a bag full of extra bolts too! Call him and see what he can build for you.

Gojeep said:
Damn, now I have to swipe the screen after seeing that :puke:

now that i recognize that as dan, i think that was probably some form of "self-righting" stinger.... keeping the nose high in the air while on its roof would help with wieght transfer and would most likely make it end up on it's side rather than the roof.... a lil big and intrusive but i bet it would work...

mike

Just put on a RIGID winch bumper. Quality was excellent and the price was right. Call Terry from talking too him he can make one with a brush guard.

Instructions were great. Install was super easy. Not to mention it is a very stout bumper.

So far...
...I've installed a Warn winch bumper on the front and removed the entire header panel, grill, lights, etc.

Then I mounted 2 Hella Rallye 4000s to the bumper, about where the headlights would go. My XJ has round lights now, a real Jeep.:)

Then I got some Hella 90mm DOT/ECE legal highs and projector lows. They all 4 take 65w H9 bulbs. German quality. Bright. Affordable. Great beam patterns.

Then I wired up the new headlights using a slightly modified ARB relay headlight harness kit. That sucker is ground switched and has 3 relays. I cussed lots.

Then I got creative. I needed a way to mount the 90mm suckers. I wanted to use aluminum L brackets or something...but an aluminum box sounded better. So...I looked around. Then I noticed the Contico aluminum tool box from the hardware store! After I took the lid off of it, stripped it down, and painted it Krylon ultra flat camo black...it looked pretty good.

I was amazed when it dropped right down where the winch would sit. I used the winch mounting holes to bolt the headlight-box/toolbox firmly in place. With the four 92mm holes filled with fine German optics the Jeep looked ready to rally.:)

Today I installed my backup lamps. I used some 100W GE sealed beams in Rusty's tail light boxes. I can feel the head from the lights when I walk around the back of the Jeep. :sunshine:

Next I need to fully sort the front turn signals. I have 6. I have the 4 regular bulbs and the "city lights" of the 4000s. Dood, I'm rollin' with 8 inch turn signals. Sweet.

Thats crazy looking, looks like a catchers faceguard! Someone spent some time on that one, I would get annoyed pretty quickly by the view obstruction.

I think it would be cool to make the whole nose into a steel bumper, but it would definitely weigh a alot. I've often thought about taking the nose and using some fiberglass to mold some round headlights in to see what it would look like, might try it some day.

seems to me that that contraption on the front is folded forward. judging by some of the posts, i think people expect that front contraption is always up in the air. correct me if i'm wrong here.

there is that roof rack again! is that a trail ready? seems that it was never produced according to some on here.

JeepFreak21 said:
How about this thing?
new_01002.jpg

Billy

I was under the impression that Trail Ready made these, there used to be several XJ's around here with them or very similar on the fronts. There were also a coupld of Grand Chrokees with them in the TR parking lot. I have also seen them on several other types of trucks, suv's, hummers, etc.

HTH,
Michael

aspera said:
That's SCARY!:)

It is kind of similar to what I was suggesting, or could be. Now it you took some thin sheet metal and filled in all of the spaces between the tubes...and ditched the entire nose assembly...that would be close.

That picture give a you a good idea about how much space is available up front. Except you gain about more 4 inches when the fiberglass nose/grille/headlight junk gets removed. It's almost like getting an extra foot of engine bay.

You are kidding right?? Have you considered the cost of material alone? The weight of the material? How about the cost in labor to make it look just half way decent? The bumper/front face would be worth twice the cost of a standard trail XJ. No company in their right mind would want to build one for a living!!

Body panels are extremely cheap!!

Body panels are extremely cheap...and then you buy them again...and again. I'm not so concerned about protecting the body (fenders, hood) as getting rid of the body (entire nose panel).

Basically, you need a bumper and then build a 'box' on top of it to cover all of the things mounted on the bumper. That 'box' can be any shape that you want. Heavy or light. Cheap or expensive. It might end up heavy and costly, but maybe not. You have to figure in the total cost. It depends on how you make the box and what you put in it.

If you think about it, the factory parts are boxes. They house the lights. They have holes in the 'box' for air to get to the radiator. All I'm suggesting is a bigger, badder box than the stock fiberglass one.

Back