• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Issue, Please Help!!!!

Keefer

NAXJA Forum User
Alright so my jeep has been notorious around my shop for doing completely wierd things. yesterday i was driving along and my gas gauge shot up and my truck started acting like it stopped getting gas. I thought a wire was shorting out. i just filled the tank. i crawled under my jeep and started wiggling wires and nothing happened. i heard a hissing noise and i pressed up on my FUEL RETURN LINE and the hissing stopped, my gas gauge shot up, and my jeep stopped getting gas? What do i do?! :hang:

The first thing you should do is tell us the year, engine, etc.

Ok. On the top of the fuel tank there are two grommets--one for the fuel return line and one for the roll-over valve. Sounds like one or both may be leaking.

That said, YOU MUST IDENTIFY the issue. Don't assume there is something wrong with the fuel system.

TEST: check for spark at the plugs. Use a fuel pressure gauge and test pressure and delivery volume at the fuel rail.

Post up what you find.

The line that doesnt go to the fuel filter is the one that im talking about. The jeep runs fine. But when I move that line to stop it from hissing, my fuel gauge goes crazy and I stop getting fuel. I dont get how me moving fuel line without touching any wires can make my gauge go full like its getting grounded out

You are doing something that is increasing the ohm resistance in the fuel gauge circuit.

One ohm resistance would show empty, 88 ohms reads full. An open circuit would be infinite resistance or max the fuel gauge.

Now, the fuel gauge sender and fuel pump leads are there together so you should concentrate on inspecting the harness, the connector, and the grounds.

Post up what you find.

Okay I see the connector coming from the fuel pump and ask the wires I can see look good, buy the wires go into the body?

Back