• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Injection Service ?

casm said:
Haven't had a problem doing this with mine - yet. Makes sense, though.

BTW: the later models had both the pre-cats as well as the regular cat. I can't remember if the pre-cats unbolt or not (I'm leaning towards 'yes', but am too lazy to go downstairs and check), but the regular cat is welded in - or, at least, it has been on both my 2001 and 2000. Either way, unbolting the downpipe ahead of the pre-cat should be good enough.

"Declaration of War - the short form."

It would be stupid if they didn't - I think the pre-cats bolt up to the collector flanges. How else would you replace them?

"Where're yer spurs at?"
"Is he making fun of me?"

"Give her your coat."
"Why me?!?"
"Because you're perfect."
"You do have a point there..."

5-90 said:
It would be stupid if they didn't - I think the pre-cats bolt up to the collector flanges. How else would you replace them?

True - but by the same token, they didn't do it for the cat proper.

"Where're yer spurs at?"
"Is he making fun of me?"

"Give her your coat."
"Why me?!?"
"Because you're perfect."
"You do have a point there..."

"But this far inside of the brain, it all looks the same. Nonono, don't touch that - you never know what it might be attached to."

casm said:
"But this far inside of the brain, it all looks the same. Nonono, don't touch that - you never know what it might be attached to."

"You're using too much power - another 10,000 kilowatts this month. Beats me how one old homicidal loony can use so much electricity..."

This is going to sound crazy, but my sister and father have had good luck running 87 octane Shell gas in her '92 Briarwoody and his work '01 (IIRC) POS-150 so it seems that their ad campaign isn't complete bull! The V-6 in that F-150 would shake and stumble badly under throttle and after running a partial tank in it one day the truck started almost acting like it should while the Brairwoody has been running stronger and getting better mileage that it used to. If anybody is wondering, they told me about this on separate occasions within a week or two of each other and not having a chance to talk to each other prior to telling me. I may try it in my '98 just to see what happens. As for the throttlew body, I just sprayed carb cleaner on a disposable shop rag and wiped the TB clean (should probably do that again next time I'm under the hood.........)

bjoehandley said:
This is going to sound crazy, but my sister and father have had good luck running 87 octane Shell gas in her '92 Briarwoody and his work '01 (IIRC) POS-150 so it seems that their ad campaign isn't complete bull!

Actually, I'll second this. I typically go for Shell or Chevron, and pretty much every vehicle I've owned here has consistently been happy on both with the exception of the odd bad tankful. I religiously avoid Mobil, Exxon, and Arco/BP, though 76/Conoco and Valero have been good in-a-pinch second choices.

5-90 said:
"You're using too much power - another 10,000 kilowatts this month. Beats me how one old homicidal loony can use so much electricity..."

"EVIL, PURE AND SIMPLE, FROM THE 8TH DIMENSION! GET 'EM!"

casm said:
Actually, I'll second this. I typically go for Shell or Chevron, and pretty much every vehicle I've owned here has consistently been happy on both with the exception of the odd bad tankful. I religiously avoid Mobil, Exxon, and Arco/BP, though 76/Conoco and Valero have been good in-a-pinch second choices.

"EVIL, PURE AND SIMPLE, FROM THE 8TH DIMENSION! GET 'EM!"

Even though the help I get in mpg is minimal, I still put about four ounces of acetone in each tankful - it helps keep things clean, if nothing else (acetone is already added as a cleaner, so I'm just upping the concentration a bit...)

"What's this?"
"It's... your hand."

5-90 said:
Even though the help I get in mpg is minimal, I still put about four ounces of acetone in each tankful - it helps keep things clean, if nothing else (acetone is already added as a cleaner, so I'm just upping the concentration a bit...)

Funnily enough, I've still been doing the same every few tankfuls. It definitely helps.

"What's this?"
"It's... your hand."

"There's a Harley in those bushes."

casm said:
Funnily enough, I've still been doing the same every few tankfuls. It definitely helps.

"There's a Harley in those bushes."

Yup - and it's usually cheaper than injector cleaner anyhow (which is about half acetone, I think.)

"What are you doin'?"
"Christmas shoppin'."

"What's that?"
"It's a stick - what's it look like?"

5-90 said:
Yup - and it's usually cheaper than injector cleaner anyhow (which is about half acetone, I think.)

Agreed. But, coming full-circle, it still doesn't hit the intake. Either way, a good idea.

"What are you doin'?"
"Christmas shoppin'."

"What's that?"
"It's a stick - what's it look like?"

"The professor just rode up, saying something about space monsters and where's the overthruster, went straight to the lab."

casm said:
Agreed. But, coming full-circle, it still doesn't hit the intake. Either way, a good idea.

"The professor just rode up, saying something about space monsters and where's the overthruster, went straight to the lab."

True - but I've got RENIX, and need a pressure washer to clean my intake anyhow (damn EGR setup...) At least I'm keeping the injectors fairly clean - even if the rest of the manifold looks like it's been neglected by a chimney sweep.

"Shut up John Bigbooty you coward! You are the weakest individual I ever know!"

5-90 said:
True - but I've got RENIX, and need a pressure washer to clean my intake anyhow (damn EGR setup...) At least I'm keeping the injectors fairly clean - even if the rest of the manifold looks like it's been neglected by a chimney sweep.

Good point. To be honest, the couple of times a year that I hit mine, it's much the same - but that's with rather a lot of desert driving and a free-flow air filter the rest of the time that I'm not there or up in the mountains. Quite frankly, I'm about ready to lose the K&N and go back to paper full-time after finding small bits of grit in the oil that weren't metal.

"Shut up John Bigbooty you coward! You are the weakest individual I ever know!"

"Buckaroo, you forgot your thruster."
"How about you hold onto it for a while?"

casm said:
Good point. To be honest, the couple of times a year that I hit mine, it's much the same - but that's with rather a lot of desert driving and a free-flow air filter the rest of the time that I'm not there or up in the mountains. Quite frankly, I'm about ready to lose the K&N and go back to paper full-time after finding small bits of grit in the oil that weren't metal.

"Buckaroo, you forgot your thruster."
"How about you hold onto it for a while?"

You could also try using 1/2" open-cell foam as a prefilter. If you're running in a lot of dust and grit, you should probably run a prefilter anyhow (kinda like on Diesels. Since large Diesels have to move so much air and maintain so much compression, they usually run two-stage air filters.)

"The President is calling."
"The President of what?"
"The President of the United States!"

5-90 said:
You could also try using 1/2" open-cell foam as a prefilter. If you're running in a lot of dust and grit, you should probably run a prefilter anyhow (kinda like on Diesels. Since large Diesels have to move so much air and maintain so much compression, they usually run two-stage air filters.)

Good point; I hadn't actually thought of that. What I've been doing is swapping out the K&N for a $3.99 paper filter on extended trips, then tossing the paper one when I get back. Quite frankly, I don't see any difference in performance from the K&N, though intake noise certainly is a bit louder. Probably just going to go back to a paper filter full time.

"The President is calling."
"The President of what?"
"The President of the United States!"

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy!"

casm said:
Good point; I hadn't actually thought of that. What I've been doing is swapping out the K&N for a $3.99 paper filter on extended trips, then tossing the paper one when I get back. Quite frankly, I don't see any difference in performance from the K&N, though intake noise certainly is a bit louder. Probably just going to go back to a paper filter full time.

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy!"

Yeah, K&N may offer better airflow than conventional filters, but that comes at a cost - K&N's prefer to be run in a relatively "clean" area. I'd be somewhat loath to use one off-road without a prefilter.

Of course, if I were building an offroad rig at the moment, I'd use a prefilter anyhow. Make two - that way you can have one installed while the other is being washed.

"You drove through a mountain. After surgery yesterday, you drove right through a mountain."

Back