• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FUBAR LEAF SPRING QUESTION PLS HELP!

Blaine B. said:
That's a bit much.
I'll say...

Here's a nice example of how to do it. From the tread that was linked to a few posts back.

untitled.jpg

I thought I did the same thing to my friends Jeep a few months back, it went pop pretty loud but still felt like the bolt was moving under tension. Had another guy help by putting a lot of tension against the sleeve with a big screwdriver or something and luckily the nut stayed attached and the bolt backed out. Talk about relief. If I ever have to remove another stock leaf I'm going to have someone pushing or pulling on a small crowbar or big flat head so something besides the nut in the pocket helps take on those forces involved.

I was in this broken nut situation myself just a little over a year ago. Started with a loud pop followed by too little tension for it to be anything but very wrong. Broke the nut from the frame pocket just as I was starting a good rythm on the breaker bar. w/ an angle grinder I cut out the bottom of the pocket as clean as I could like shown in that second photo. The sleeve was so bad I ended up cutting and prying off the spring and bushing from around the sleeve, then cutting the bolt off at both sides of the sleeve as the sleeve wasn't going anywhere! After that the length of bolt on each side of the nut in the pocket was too long to be removed! I used visegrips on the short remaining stub of the bolt to hold it while I held a hacksaw blade with another pair of vicegrips and cut the bolt one more time right behind the nut inside the pocket. Only then would the nut and bolt remains finally drop out of that hole. And only then was that nightmare finished. Hope your's is easier! That was right after the first side where the nut was plenty strong for a change but the bolt broke inside the sleeve and had to be cut and carefully drilled out of the nut. Again I hope your's is easier!

Thanks for the help guys. I am on call tonight so it will have to wait till Sunday.
Ill post up pix of the progress.

Side View:
DSC008721.JPG

Bottom looking up:
DSC008731.JPG

for strength, does the slot need to be re welded, or can i leave it open?

Magus2727 said:
Side View:
DSC008721.JPG

Bottom looking up:
DSC008731.JPG

These cuts are very interesting. When I did mine I cut the floor and welded in a not then welded the floor back.
some of the other cuts/pictures are what I would call butchering. :puke: :wow:

When I did mine I went through the floor also. Metal is thinner there so it's easier to cut out. You probably lose less strength by going through the floor but it's hard to say.

I just used a 4" cut off wheel on an angle grinder. I dont know If I want to re weld or not. I am wanting to get a welder from the Home Depot when they do a sale with 0% intrest on one of thier cards. I would only re-weld if you weld the nut back in. most of the forces will be seen from the sides and the top.

I cut a window and was able to get a wrench on it and the bolt came out lickety split. Thanks for the help guys.

Back