• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FS: custom tire carrier

crimsondragon

NAXJA Forum User
I have a custom tire carrier made by a member on here. I had some issues trying to mount it up and I never did figure out a way to get it modded for it to fit properly. Here's the build thread: http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/rear-bumper-tire-swing-98plum-crazy-91661/index3/
He never did finish that thread as there were some additional steel welded on. I had him weld on tube at an angle to brace the sides for impact. Unfortunately I didn't take into the account that same tube interfering with the unibody frame. Some slight cutting will be needed to get it to fit. Or you can grind a notch in the brace and reweld it closed.

He did manage to mount it up with the tire carrier on his XJ but for some reason mine wouldn't cooperate with it. The carrier itself interfered with the hatch and the hatch contacted the top of the bumper when trying to close. I don't know if maybe there was a slight miscalculation in his cutting or if my XJ is tweaked but I never could get it to work and carrier has been sitting while the bumper wasn't tied to the 2x4's.

The carrier and bumper are both POR15 painted, the carrier has rustoleum gray auto primer while the bumper has primer and rustoleum black paint. There are areas where the paint is missing, mostly where the hatch hit the top but as it has been daily driven, there are also wear on other places as well. The carrier hinge has been exposed to the elements so there is rust but it's surface. Nothing an angle grinder with a steel wire brush won't remove.

Summary - for $400 you get a custom heavy duty tire carrier with hitch receiver, d-ring mounts, and a 5 gallon gas can mount that is tied into the unibody frame with 2x4 steel box tube that also acts as a nutstrip so you can mount other stuff such as tank skid and/or shackle relocation boxes without dropping either another 1/4" like most bumpers nowadays. The only other company I know that utilizes similar mounts is Dirtbound.

I'm in the process of a move. The whole shebang is in NJ, but I am going to be running up and down the coast from Central NJ to Virginia Beach the next couple of weeks. I can deliver within reasonable distance along Rte 13, Rte 1, and NJ turnpike.

20130605_173005_zps2202e83d.jpg

20130605_173201_zpsaad7738d.jpg

20130605_172745_zpsf5e9abb9.jpg

Back