• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Speaker Problem in a '00

Just a bump to keep this on the front.
I'll be doing the same fix tomorrow.
I checked the voltage, and I have power right inside the door, but not at the speaker....

X20 --- Ditto on my '01 I just acquired last week. The drivers side speaker doesn't work. I'm getting ready to order a new Alpine CD player and will likely rewire the front speakers w/new quality speaker wire.

One question I have... as I haven't pulled the door panel off the '01 yet and the various websites list the front and rear speakers as 5-1/4". My '96 has 6-1/2" speakers in the front doors and rear speaker bar. So which is it?? Since I'll be ordering new front speakers to go along w/the new Head Unit... I don't want to have to return/reorder other size speakers if possible. Thx

Search my posts on the topic I did a write up a couple years ago on how to fix the wiring it's an easy fix. There is one one the door lock too. you can do a 6.5 in the door. In some cases you may need to trim the opening a touch though. Depth usually isn't an issue.

just installed new components in my friends 00 xj limited with the infinity system and he had one side go in and out - driving him nuts! the ole' short issue where the door opens led to a cracked + wire and his factory speaker molex style connector solder was broken as well. his infiniti stock head unit had a knob missing and broken faders so we used an alpine 1 din i had leftover from an old install and by passed the infinity amp and ran new wires from a 4 channel alpine amp... sounds so much better! the infinity's had no bottom end left and fresh speakers was the ticket.

we went with 6.5 mb quarts and just like my 99 i had to trim some for the basket of the woofer - i have also done a 97 xj with 6.5 and had to trim a little more for 2- ways... it can be done - just take your time

I have seen 3 XJs with the driver side speaker not working and all three had one of the wires for the speaker cut where the wires run through the door jam. Re-soldered the wire back together and boom speaker works perfectly. This is alot easier fix than running all new wires.

As for the window lock-out button on 97+ XJs, I had mine fail and I took the door panel off and the switches on the door are all one giant assembly that cannot be taken apart without virtually destroying it, atleast I tried to and broke it trying to pull it apart. If you have this problem then you will need to replace that assembly to restore window function to the switch on the passenger door.

Thanks for the update... I did find the writeup that ASATXJ did and it was nice to see the steps.

I'm getting ready to order two new systems for my '01 XJ and my wifes '03 KJ. Her 'premium' infinity speakers and radio have all but quit working... so I'll be replacing her Head unit, adding a kit so the steering wheel controls still work and 2 new sets of speakers. Going w/the Alpine CDA-117 and Alpine speakers (in both rigs). Should sound great in both our Jeeps.

What no one has explained yet is that the factory speaker wires very often break in the door hinge area from flexing when you open/close the door. The best fix is to run new wires from the inside of the Jeep to the speakers, bypassing the original defective wires. Anyone can do this repair in the driveway.

x2. Fairly common problem. Happened on the driver door on my 2000. I've heard about it prior to that so it was the first place I looked.

One question I have... as I haven't pulled the door panel off the '01 yet and the various websites list the front and rear speakers as 5-1/4". My '96 has 6-1/2" speakers in the front doors and rear speaker bar. So which is it?? Since I'll be ordering new front speakers to go along w/the new Head Unit... I don't want to have to return/reorder other size speakers if possible. Thx

6.5" fit up front, but IIRC someone had an issue with a deep speaker and the window. 6.5" will fit in the back but might be tight and depending on the speaker brand you may need to run the covers that came with them.

As for the window lock-out button on 97+ XJs, I had mine fail and I took the door panel off and the switches on the door are all one giant assembly that cannot be taken apart without virtually destroying it, atleast I tried to and broke it trying to pull it apart. If you have this problem then you will need to replace that assembly to restore window function to the switch on the passenger door.
Another common problem. Replace the whole switch panel or just solder the wires together, eliminating the switch.

Back