• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front or rear locker??

Biggest disadvantage I have noticed to having the front locked up is a decrease in turning radius when 4wd is engaged. As to front or rear this past week end I was up running a trail with an FJ-cruiser with a locked rear and I was having a much easier time of it than he was. You have to figure you have all the weight of the engine sitting on those front tires 75% of the time. Also with the front locked on the pavement you don't get all of the bad habits you get with a rear locker. with an auto at least it is completely invisible.

When on an incline when "climbing" where does most of your weight shift to?
With having more bite due to weight shifting to the rear,
I'd say lock the rear.
Again as Phil noted look into how many splines your rear axle has and upgrade accordingly.

Good luck with your descision either way I'm sure you'll be happy and more capable than before.

If you go with the front I would go with a selectable for streetability, and tight parking lots.

completely agree, ever noticed how the rear axle is always bigger than the front unless they're the same? thats where all the weight is, so thats where the traction is at

best reason's for locking the rear first.

1. most traction

2. doesnt matter if your going straight or turning

3. doesnt really hurt your turning radius

4. way less likely to break something

5. you can do donuts like a fool and churp your tires in parking lots

and why you just plain shouldnt lock your front untill you have too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX6Zov-FFI4&feature=related

When on an incline when "climbing" where does most of your weight shift to?
With having more bite due to weight shifting to the rear,
I'd say lock the rear.
Again as Phil noted look into how many splines your rear axle has and upgrade accordingly.

Good luck with your descision either way I'm sure you'll be happy and more capable than before.

If you go with the front I would go with a selectable for streetability, and tight parking lots.
Harlee - respectfully, I dont think you understand front lockers...

when in 2wd, on the street, both my rig and phil's rig with front auto lockers behave just like a rig without a front locker...

While in 2wd, an automatic locker (aussie, detroit, powertrax...) is invisible save for the occasional clicking of the side gears ratcheting...

Id say for off road ability - the front locker does more for you - allowing both tires to want to climb something, and then pulling you up once both tires have traction on top of something...

if you were talking about hill climbing or dune running, then the rear locker make sense more - but in most cases, I think the front actually does more work...

I'd have to agree with XJ_Ranger. I have a front lockright, open rear and I'd say that the front locker has helped immensely.

While I have no personal experience with a rear locker, I know for a fact that mine hasn't decreased my turning radius (even in 4wd) and it is totally invisible in 2wd except for slow speed tight turning when you can hear/feel the racheting.

ok it seems like most people agree ont the front locker...wich is actually what i wasthinking on doing....but i keep hearing about exceptions in snow.....whats with that?? whats with the exceptions in snow??

I would go rear, or both. If you're going to be driving in snow, just do the rear.

Front locker in snow makes turning hard...it just wants to go straight.

Lock the rear first, then the front, then be careful driving in the snow!! Plus, if you have a rear locker, you really don't need 4 wheel drive to drive in the snow. Even without a rear locker, you really don't need 4 wheel drive for the snow unless it's really deep and un-plowed.

I had the same question. I have the D35 rear and when I do go off-road I hit up the trails. I don't rock crawl, but I do go mudding sometimes. I don't know anything about the different types of lockers and whatnot, so I'm trying to find a good cheap upgrade. Powertrax no-slip maybe? But I also can't seem to find a spool for the d35?

I don't speak from experience since I just run open/open, but from what I've read it may make a difference whether or not you have selectrac/NP242. If you want to use full time 4wd with the selectrac you should not lock the front. Since the OP lives in Bullhead City this consideration may not be of concern, but it might be in the mountains. I've walked though snowbanks in Arizona and snowmobiled in Nevada.

From what I understand locking either end is not advisable if you see a lot of snow. No steerin gif the front is locked up and your doing doughnuts if the rear is locked up. Have not had the opertunity to see what mine does yet but I figure I will be making my way gingerly home in 2wd when it does :wow:

Speaking from experience, if you're only running 31s just lock the dana 35. Lock the rear before the front.

You can use 4 locked front and rear in the snow. But if you're locked front and rear, unless the snow is really deep, there really isn't much need for 4 wheel drive. When you're locked front and rear in deep snow (unplowed roads) and you need to turn, sometimes it doesn't want to, but you just hit the gas and the front will turn....just like wheeling with locked front and rear. Sometimes you gotta hit the gas to make the front end pull rather than be plowed forward by the rear.

It's really not as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be. If you're not familiar with driving in the snow, don't drive in the snow. If you know what you're doing, it's really not a problem.

ok im going to be getting a locker soon and i was wondering, wich axle should i lock first?? front or rear??

also i live in the desert and i wheel in sandy hills, lots of gravel and loose rock as well as solid rock and i go to the beach alot (beach sand).....also d30 front and 8.25 rear on 33's 4.5 on lift and i have a winch on the front....just some info for your opinions

XJ_ranger said:
if you were talking about hill climbing or dune running, then the rear locker make sense more - but in most cases, I think the front actually does more work...
I thought he was.
Rock crawling, I would agree.
I read sand hills loose rock, and gravel = higher throttle situations than r.crawling.
Thank you, don't ever be afraid to call me out on misinformation.
I like to remain silent unless I (in my mind without a doubt know for sure...:helpme:)
I (95%) am in 2wd unless I'm stuck or want to takeoff quickly, my wife always 4wd when snow present. I can see where that last sentence came out wrong.:cheers:

XJensen said:
I am going to lock the front when I get the chance. I would rather have the front walk over and drag the back then pushing the non traction front tire into instead of over a rock.
This is why agree when in big rocks.

I'm going to lock my rear first due mainly to the fact I live in snow most of the year (Oct-June, snow not abnormal)
in combination with steep mountains, ice, citidiots, and winding roads. I don't like the idea of not being able to turn as effectively.
That's why I'm going selectable in the front someday, still debating on what for the rear (Selectable or Detroit)

Honestly, the winter isn't too bad with the front locker.

I have yet to have a problem with mine. The only time it's apparent is when you goose it from a stand still and try to take a sharp corner...yeah I'm dumb enough to try that lol.

Honestly, the winter isn't too bad with the front locker.

I have yet to have a problem with mine. The only time it's apparent is when you goose it from a stand still and try to take a sharp corner...yeah I'm dumb enough to try that lol.

me too lol

I think it totally depends on what type of wheeling you do. If you are climbing up on rocks or other obstacles go with the front. If you do alot of hill climbs lock the rear. When you crest the top of a steep hill and sometimes while climbing one your front axle will unload. A front locker will help some, but not as much as a rear which will still have most of the vehicle weight.

As of right now I'm running a welded rear. Man it made a great difference offroading. I'm planning on a lockrite for the front soon. With the front and rear debate, it's hard to imagine what it'll be like with both locked. As for the welded rear. I trailer it to and from the mountain. I would not want to drive very far on paved roads with a welded rear.

Im yet to install my setup, but my front d30 is going to be locked when put in. It seems to make much more sence to have the front pulling you over rocks etc, rather than the rear trying to power you over the top.

My .02

-Lyle

ok so i think ive decided...im going to weld the rear and aussie the front....and no this jeep will see very little pavement time

ok so i think ive decided...im going to weld the rear and aussie the front....and no this jeep will see very little pavement time

glad we could help :cheers:

Back