• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Lockright Street Manners

Rusty98xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
I am looking to get some feedback from those of you running lunchbox type lockers (aussie, spartan, etc) on the street as a daily driver.

Background: I installed a Spartan locker in the front of my stock hp D30 a couple of months ago.

Street drivability in 2hi has definitely been compromised. The locker will engage when coming to a stop, making stoplight takeoffs quite interesting, as the jeep will pull to one side or other. In parking lots, making slow speed turns, turning the wheels when stopped, all produce loud banging that is felt through the wheel, and the locker will lock up about half the time and pull the jeep and wheel.

So far, ive:
Removed front ds
Replaced u joints
Replaced steering box and checked steering components
Replaced calipers and rebled brakes
Drained fluid twice and refill with 85-140
Measured locker gap distance and checked all torque specifications.

Thanks all, just read before install that front lockers are invisible on the street:geek:

Did anyone else have to grind off casting material from the carrier to fit the locker? Had to probably grind off almost a half inch or so.

Also I did not reuse side washers and measured the gap at .151 which is with spec (.145-.170)

Did anyone else have to grind off casting material from the carrier to fit the locker? Had to probably grind off almost a half inch or so.

This right here says that something is not right in your diff.

You should NOT have to do that.

Did you remove your ring gear from carrier to put the locker assy inside the carrier?

i am hoping you didn't leave the ring gear on and then gring the carrier to get the locker into the carrier.

@Kippo1; the ring gear was removed, the carrier was installed (with grinding required to fit) and reinstalled. I want to say that each of the bolts for the ring gear was removed and installed in the same location on the ring gear. Also, the bolts were torqued to specification and loctite was used during reinstall.

@Outcast; the carrier "window" where the locker replaces the spider gears did not provide enough clearance to fit the locker. Grinding of the window was required to fit. I tried to fitit for a couple hours every single way without grinding before I finally gave in and grabbed the angle.

I would also like to stress the locker cups are installed the correct way, the carrier has now been out of housing twice and checked; retorqued; etc. Randys Ring and Pinion has been of no help in the matter. It is unfortunate I have had this experience with Spartan as I know of many others that have had excellent experiences with them.

Hi Rusty98xj,

I know this isn't our product, but hopefully I can give you a few things to look for.

First of all, your locker should not be engaging in 2WD, or banging, or giving feedback through the steering wheel.

Couple more things to check when troubleshooting, from easy to more difficult:

- Check tire pressure, all 4 should be equal
- Check wheel bearings
- Check to see if the axle tube or axle shafts are bent - this is hard to diagnose, but is absolutely critical! I think this may be the issue here.

Back